Everything that is PS3-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
#275034 by mentos046
Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:54 am
The PS3 is CECH-3001B

My father attempted to download 4.41 OFW onto his PS3, but as the thread title says, an apparent hiccup in the internet corrupted it, unfortunately he didn't know this at the time, and installed it anyway, now it won't load the XMB.

The initial screen appears, the brass instrument-esque boot sound plays, and it says the files system is corrupted (he has attempted to restore it as well, and says the restoration succeeds, but the PS3 reboots and it displays the corrupted file system message again, apparently repeating this no matter how many times he does it), if he cancels the restore, it apparently freezes before the XMB loads (I say apparently because I haven't really observed this far). I have booted it in safe mode and attempted to restore the file system, but it never finishes preparing, but it doesn't freeze either.

I have downloaded 4.46 onto a flash drive, and attempted to boot the update file from safe mode, but it freezes.

I'm inclined to believe it's a corrupted resource file, perhaps the wave, but I'm not all that much of an expert.

Could I cannibalize another PS3, probably another CECH-3001B, get the NOR out of it, and replace the problematic one with it.

Would that work?

Does each PS3 have hardware components that require the factory installed NOR?

I know it's unlikely, but could it be switched for RAM?

I have some other questions, but I've forgotten them at the moment, I'll edit the post if I remember them.
Advertising
#275063 by Acid_Snake
Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:08 am
mentos046 wrote:I have downloaded 4.46 onto a flash drive, and attempted to boot the update file from safe mode, but it freezes.

try updating from safe mode through an internet connection

mentos046 wrote:Could I cannibalize another PS3, probably another CECH-3001B, get the NOR out of it, and replace the problematic one with it.

Would that work?

no

mentos046 wrote:Does each PS3 have hardware components that require the factory installed NOR?

it's not about the NOR, but the data it contains must match that of the PS3

mentos046 wrote:I know it's unlikely, but could it be switched for RAM?

RAM is volatile memory
Advertising
#278568 by mentos046
Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:29 am
Firstly, apologies for the extremely slow reply, I am only in a place with an Internet connection two days of every other week.

Acid_Snake wrote:
mentos046 wrote:I have downloaded 4.46 onto a flash drive, and attempted to boot the update file from safe mode, but it freezes.

try updating from safe mode through an internet connection


It seems I've severely misstated that, what I meant was that I can't even get to the update method selection menu. It just freezes when I select System Update.


Acid_Snake wrote:
mentos046 wrote:Does each PS3 have hardware components that require the factory installed NOR?

it's not about the NOR, but the data it contains must match that of the PS3


Pray tell, what data might that be? If I were to select Restore Default Settings, Restore File System, Rebuild Database, and Restore PS3 System , all from safe mode, and on both my Father's PS3, and the theoretical PS3 would that be enough?

Acid_Snake wrote:
mentos046 wrote:I know it's unlikely, but could it be switched for RAM?

RAM is volatile memory

I have no excuse for asking that question, please forgive me.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests