Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PSXperia Tutorial and Compatibility [Updated with Video]

Discuss your favorite apps here
shadowknight1620

PSXperia Tutorial and Compatibility [Updated with Video]

Post by shadowknight1620 »

Edit: Sorry I had to remove download links the files were flagged by DMCA :shock: on mediafire so the files were disabled/blocked from public downloading anyway :(
Source is still linked in post and the file and version names remain in text.

Alright so here is my tutorial on PSXperia for the Xperia Play phone a tool to convert PSX games you legally own into android package files(.apk files) which can be installed and played on a Xperia Play phone.
First, you need to make sure you have the latest Java runtime environment installed(JDK is also fine).
Download the PSXperia tool below that corresponds to the version of ROM on your Xperia Play either 2.3.3 or 2.3.4, If your not sure go to "Settings" on your phone, then "About Phone" and look at "Android Version".
Normally you would need to have the Crash Bandicoot .apk and .zpak that was pre-installed on the phone. The PSXperia tools I provided in downloads already have the necessary data files to start converting and the license check is already performed so you can go straight to the "convert" tab if everything works right. ;)
:twisted: (I will not supply the Crash Bandicoot .apk or .zpak files they are not needed with the PSXperia tool kits I provided)

PSXperia Setup:

Extract the tool kit and open "psxperiatool-gui-windows.bat"(Windows) or "psxperiatool"(Linux/OSX).
if the license check comes up read all info carefully, check all 4 boxes and highlight developer name.(example 1)
If the license file in the tool kit I provided worked you wont see this tab or need to follow this step. :D
example 1
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/LsP4b113/psxperia2.png[/img]
There are 3 tabs on PSXperia tool:
1. "Information" this tab is the license check
2. "Extract" (Skip "Extract" since the files are already extracted in the tool kits there is no need to extract again)(example 2)
3. "Convert" Select the "Convert" Tab(PSXperia tool may start on "Convert" tab when opened if license check passed so no need to select "Convert")
example 2
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/KzYGvMML/psxperia3.png[/img]
In the "Convert" tab there are 3 file directory's:(example 3)
1. "Extracted Data" leave this as default (don't change the file path/setting it already has)
2. "ISO Input" select the file for the game you want to convert(.img and .bin files work). Have had issues with other disc image formats. Games that use CDDA tracks don't work correctly either.
3. "Output Directory" choose where to save converted files or leave as default(this is where the new converted files will be located, if left as default it will save in folder "output" located in PSXperia folder).
example 3
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/9QtCdpPZ/psxperia4.png[/img]
All text fields should only be in English no accented letters or symbols like ® or ™ and should not contain symbols (quotes, exclamation marks, etc)
Type the "Name:" of the game you are converting this will be the name of the icon and general name the phone uses for game.(example 4)
example 4
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/VkR5f1Vx/1.png[/img]
Next, select the "Title ID:" number by default it's "NCXA00000_1" only change the numbers which are 5 digits, length must stay the same (11 characters "NCXAxxxxx_1")(example 5) (in my example I choose 00093 because its the 93rd game converted(actually game 94 because of 00000) If you do not change title ID it will overwrite converted files with same ID name (used for file names and folders of converted games) (start a numbered list of what you converted) :P
example 5
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/pLtsjNBV/2.png[/img]
Then, type the "Developer:" name, "Publisher:" name, and "Description:"(example 6)
example 6
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/6TxxR2yM/3.png[/img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Y0Wwhfq4/4.png[/img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/VNKwTkVN/5.png[/img]
Now select "Change Icon" and select a image you would like for your game. (image must be 170x170 in .png format)(example 7)
example 7
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/XYJkdVCb/6.png[/img]
Leave "Parental Rating" default(All), "Store Type" default(AMP), and select "Analog Mode"(example 8) (this can be changed later if not compatible with selected game)
example 8
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/3R7yjBcv/7.png[/img]
Then Select "Convert" and wait until loading bar displays "Done". :mrgreen: (example 9)
example 9
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/zDHBL4Bc/8.png[/img]
When completed go to "PSXperia tool" folder and open "output" folder then "data" folder (PSXperia Tool for 2.3.x\PSXperia tool\output\data\) select the folder with the games title ID you just converted(in my example the folder would be "com.sony.playstation.NCXA00096_1") copy this folder to your phones SDcard under ("root of SDcard"/Android/Data/)
Go back to "output" folder in "PSXperia tool" folder and copy the .apk file(in my example the file would be "com.sony.playstation.NCXA00096_1.apk") to your SDcard on your phone in a common folder like "download" or wherever you like/would remember where the file is located :) and install the .apk using a package installer on your phone (I use "ES file explorer" look it up in play store its free and great) after its installed run the game from your app list (sometimes you may have to open it twice just press home and select it again)

Now lets learn some tricks once you have everything above working :lol:

PSXperia "Software Rendering Hack"

First, you have to start a game on your phone so it can create a preference file. If you just start the game and exit it wont work, the way I found to do this easily is to start the game let it get past the Warning screen and when it gets to the PS logo boot or anytime after that point press the "Menu" button, go to "Screen Mode" and select "Full Screen" press the "Back" button and "Quit" it will ask if you want to quit press "Ok"(it doesn't matter if the save progress is checked or not so you can save where your at if you want)
Now that you have created the preference files either plug phone into computer or use "ES File Explorer" on your phone and go to SDcard root/Android/data and go to the folder with the games Title ID (in my example the folder is "com.sony.playstation.NCXA00096_1") so pick the correct ID folder then open folder "files" then open folder "ucc" there will be another folder in there with a random name usually like "286a1285-0003-0300-0105-4cec8ef34dec"(this is just an example not actual folder name yours will be different but similar) open the folder there will be 2 files "metadata.xml" and "preferences.xml".
Next edit the "preferences.xml" with notepad on a computer or edit text with "ES File Explorer"
it will look like this:
preferences.xml
<boolean name="Up-rendering" value="true" /> <string name="Screen Orientation">Landscape</string> <boolean name="FPS-counter" value="false" /> [color=#FF0000]<boolean name="SW-render" value="false" />[/color] <boolean name="On Screen Controller" value="false" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Type Landscape">Type 1</string> <string name="On Screen Controller Type Portrait">Type 1</string> <string name="On Screen Controller Color Landscape">Color 1</string> <string name="On Screen Controller Color Portrait">Color 1</string> <boolean name="On Screen Controller Vibrator" value="true" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Transparency 0" value="100" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Transparency 1" value="100" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Transparency 2" value="50" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Scale 0" value="100" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Scale 1" value="100" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Scale 2" value="100" /> <string name="On Screen Controller Scale 3" value="100" /> <string name="Button Mapping">Type 1</string> <string name="Screen Mode">Wide</string> <string name="Save Progress">Off</string> [color=#00BF00]<boolean name="Frame Skipping" value="false" />[/color] <string name="Controller Port" value="1" /> [color=#0040FF]<boolean name="Analog Mode" value="true" />[/color]
Now the line that we are editing is highlighted in red in preferences.xml above

Code: Select all

<boolean name="SW-render" value="false" /> 

(change to)

<boolean name="SW-render" value="true" /> 
(change "false" to "true") by default all converted games are set to "false" this is called Hardware rendering, when you change it to "true" it's running the game in Software Rendering(some games work better with HW render and some better with SW render it all depends on the game)

Some games my need "Frame Skipping" Highlighted in green in preferences.xml above

<boolean name="Frame Skipping" value="false" />

(change to)

<boolean name="Frame Skipping" value="true" />
(this can make some games run faster but can also slow down some games it all depends on the game)

you can also turn on and off the "Analog Mode" from here highlighted in blue above

<boolean name="Analog Mode" value="true" /> (on)

<boolean name="Analog Mode" value="false" /> (off)
other than those three lines in the text, other options won't change the compatibility of games(when I have edited the up-rendering code line from false and true I have noticed no real difference)

How to play Multi-disc games:

OK... Currently there is no access the option "Switch Discs" in PSXperia game menu. It is grayed/dim and not selectable. Sadly there are no known resources to enable it, as Sony has not released any muti-disc games compatible for mobile certified devices. Luckily there are ways to get around this, the way I have found that works fairly easily but only seems to work for most games that prompt a save at the end of disc(before asking to switch disc's) and game's that read and write save information with same save ID number.
Method 1: Just copy virtual memory card files from one disc folder to the next.

As for games that don't save at the end of disc.
Method 2: Run/play the game through a separate emulator(FPse or ePSXe preferably. Possibly other PS emulators that have switch disc option) get past the disc switch prompt, save game after disc switch, and copy virtual memory card data from the emulator to the desired disc folder for PSXperia game.

Now Let me break these 2 methods down. :ugeek:

Method 1:
Use ES File Explorer or connect sdcard to computer and go to folder /Android/data/ then open desired game folder that you want to copy save data from(example com.sony.playstation.NCXA00000_1) inside the game folder there will be a folder named "files" open it, inside there will be 3 folders "content" "save" and "ucc".
Open "save" folder(/Android/data/com.sony.playstation.NCXAxxxxx_1/files/save/).
There will be a unique folder name "286a1285-0003-0300-0105-4cec8ef34dec"(this is just an example not actual folder name yours will be different but similar) open that folder and copy files "0.raw" and "1.raw" Then open the game folder that you want to copy save data to. Save in similar directory as described just with different selected game ID /Android/data/com.sony.playstation.NCXAxxxxx_1/files/save/286a1285-0003-0300-0105-4cec8ef34dec/(copy/save ".raw" files here)(this is just an example. Folder names will be different but similar directory, depending on game ID chosen) when finished copying files boot/play game and it should read previous saved memory card data on new disc(works with FFVII perfectly as an example)

Method 2:
soon.........

I will post more here soon............... (How to move save files from PS memory card or emulator and convert properly for PSXperia, and my Personal Compatibility List with games not cited on official compatibility list) 8-)

Here are some youtube video links of it in action:

compatibility showcase/teaser

PS Pocket App and Final Fantasy VII gameplay on Xperia PLAY

all work credited to Yifan Lu Source:https://github.com/yifanlu/PSXperia/wiki
Here is a compatibility list until I post my findings.

Downloads:
PSXperia Tool for 2.3.3
PSXperia Tool for 2.3.4

Edit: Sorry I had to remove download links the files were flagged by DMCA :shock: on mediafire so the files were disabled/blocked from public downloading anyway :(
If you are in need the files and if google search did not come up with something first... you can try and PM me.
Advertising
Last edited by shadowknight1620 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 am, edited 8 times in total.
ShadowKnight1620 PSP-3001 6.60 PRO-C2 & PSVita 3.36 ARK-2
ImageDownload ShadowKnight1620's CTF
shadowknight1620

Re: PSXperia Tutorial and Compatibility [Updated with Video]

:)
Advertising
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »

Nice tutorial man! I don't have my Xperia Anymore. I am working some on the Samsung. But its slow at first
Intel Core i7 4770K @4.7Ghz
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RAM
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair H100i Water Cooling
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
1TB WD Blue - 128GB 840 PRO SSD
BenQ XL2420TE Gaming Monitor
shadowknight1620

Sorry I haven't updated this yet I'm having issues with the power cord to my laptop and it very frustrating writing with a mobile phone as soon as I get my CPU working I will add my compatibility list.
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »

shadowknight1620 wrote:Sorry I haven't updated this yet I'm having issues with the power cord to my laptop and it very frustrating writing with a mobile phone as soon as I get my CPU working I will add my compatibility list.
you did this tutorial all on mobile??
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
shadowknight1620

JeoWay wrote:
shadowknight1620 wrote:Sorry I haven't updated this yet I'm having issues with the power cord to my laptop and it very frustrating writing with a mobile phone as soon as I get my CPU working I will add my compatibility list.
Not the whole tutorial but yes parts of it
JeoWay

Post by JeoWay »

shadowknight1620 wrote:
JeoWay wrote:
I rarely forum on mobile, but writing parts of a tutorial on mobile :roll:
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
Alpmaster

Post by Alpmaster »

This cool beans I am going to have fun with this :)
Game On!
shadowknight1620

JeoWay wrote:
shadowknight1620 wrote:
JeoWay wrote:
I rarely forum on mobile, but writing parts of a tutorial on mobile :roll:
Most of my time here posting latly has been on my Xperia Play, iPhone, or my Vita like now :roll:
I must say I miss my Laptop badly I ordered a new cord so I will be happy soon :)
Alpmaster wrote:This cool beans I am going to have fun with this :)
Yes cool beans. :ugeek:
shadowknight1620

Sorry for being gone so long my life has been crazy busy lately but, I have picked up this project again. :D So expect this to be updated very soon.

Return to “Games/Apps”