Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

FW 2.10 - Blockade of TN-V.

Total_Noob's PSP Emulator Custom Firmware for the Vita. CEF can be downloaded here.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Re: FW 2.10 - Blockade of TN-V.

Post by hgoel0974 »

Frostburn wrote:I wouldn't need to depend on a Kernel exploit if Sony put more PSP games on the store (Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force in my case) or release lots of new exciting Ps vita games. Then I would be perfectly happy sticking to VBHL for old emulators and such :D .
Yeah, Tag Force (all 6 parts - tf 6 deserves an english translation) I just love that game. The PSVita deserves its own AR play version :D WITH AR based adhoc multiplayer and online multiplayer, it'd be super awesome :D
Advertising
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
wth
HBL Developer

Post by wth »

The reason not much exploits are released isn't there aren't enough. Rather there's no use to release much, especially kernel ones.

First exploits finding and such is time consuming, so no one would want theirs patched.
Releasing things is still additionnal work to get most compatibility and release things correctly, kinda pain.
Finally donations and such really aren't much use usually, so it's mostly just a volunteer thing.
To add more, kernel exploits allow to run backups, which isn't ethically cool towards other devs who made them.

Now why would anyone release more kernel exploits ?
The leaked kernel exploit and the second one released by frotegater are already more than enough. It's simple, if you want kernel access stay on 2.02<= firmwares, else don't.
Advertising
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

wth wrote:The reason not much exploits are released isn't there aren't enough. Rather there's no use to release much, especially kernel ones.

First exploits finding and such is time consuming, so no one would want theirs patched.
Releasing things is still additionnal work to get most compatibility and release things correctly, kinda pain.
Finally donations and such really aren't much use usually, so it's mostly just a volunteer thing.
To add more, kernel exploits allow to run backups, which isn't ethically cool towards other devs who made them.

Now why would anyone release more kernel exploits ?
The leaked kernel exploit and the second one released by frotegater are already more than enough. It's simple, if you want kernel access stay on 2.02<= firmwares, else don't.
+1 on this.

While some may argue that kernel exploits have better homebrew compatibility, we all know that the majority of the users are just running backups and "backups."
mlc

Post by mlc »

On the plus side, the people who won't release their exploits will be really bummed out when someone else discovers their exploit, releases it, and it is patched, all while the original discovery gets no credit. Kind of karma, though I guess if you're scared of Sony then that would be helpful.

But I can understand why you would sympathize with professional devs who lose sales due to kernel exploits; simultaneously, however, there are a lot of PSP games that aren't released at all or that aren't released in every region (and there is an effective Vita PSN region lock), and therefore it's completely moral for people to want to be able to play those. Obviously this all depends on the number of remaining exploits, or the number of exploits that a dev making this decision is aware of. But you should be glad that I'm not sufficiently qualified to discover your exploits, cuz I'd release them in a minute. ;p Also the additional pressure from a lack of exploits would lead to sufficiently experienced people looking for new exploits, which would be beneficial, although this naturally might be limited in newer consoles where the exploits will be much harder to find or utilize.
jvhellraiser

Post by jvhellraiser »

well I do believe in my opinion that I don't need Kernel access I just need VHBL but thinking,
isn't a bit unfair to those who had to update because they got a new game that ask to update
example Death or Alive 5 that ask for a force Firmware Update? or maybe the next big releases
do you think in anyway I would choose TN-V over Death or Alive 5? as soon as I get Death or Alive 5
TN-V is gone!!!! as much as I love TN's work and I appreciate what he has done until now, I am expecting
like any other users for us to be able to update to 2.11 at least and get a Kernel Exploit or usermode for the 2.11.
is unfair for you to say if you want kernel stay on 2.02 and make them choose between a new release game and VHBL
or TN-V. cause you know who is going to loose VHBL and TN-V and that's for sure. anyway this is my own opinion and others
have there's, Question: From Final Fantasy X/X2 HD who would keep TN-V or VHBL if it ask a force update to the latest version to play it?
Inky

Post by Inky »

jvhellraiser wrote:well I do believe in my opinion that I don't need Kernel access I just need VHBL but thinking,
isn't a bit unfair to those who had to update because they got a new game that ask to update
example Death or Alive 5 that ask for a force Firmware Update? or maybe the next big releases
do you think in anyway I would choose TN-V over Death or Alive 5? as soon as I get Death or Alive 5
TN-V is gone!!!! as much as I love TN's work and I appreciate what he has done until now, I am expecting
like any other users for us to be able to update to 2.11 at least and get a Kernel Exploit or usermode for the 2.11.
is unfair for you to say if you want kernel stay on 2.02 and make them choose between a new release game and VHBL
or TN-V. cause you know who is going to loose VHBL and TN-V and that's for sure. anyway this is my own opinion and others
have there's, Question: From Final Fantasy X/X2 HD who would keep TN-V or VHBL if it ask a force update to the latest version to play it?
I have to disagree. It is not unfair at all. People were never guaranteed exploits, and you are not entitled to get one. This does not mean that you won't get one, but it should be clear that the devs can decide whatever they want, and in no way will it be unfair (We could argue about fairness towards Sony, but that's a whole another matter).

As for an answer to your question, I would take FF anyday, exploit or not.
spazattack

Post by spazattack »

Inky wrote:
jvhellraiser wrote:well I do believe in my opinion that I don't need Kernel access I just need VHBL but thinking,
I have to disagree. It is not unfair at all. People were never guaranteed exploits, and you are not entitled to get one. This does not mean that you won't get one, but it should be clear that the devs can decide whatever they want, and in no way will it be unfair (We could argue about fairness towards Sony, but that's a whole another matter).

As for an answer to your question, I would take FF anyday, exploit or not.
Yeah, Inky has it right.

The Devs do what they do as a hobby. It's something that challenges their intellect and when they do share it, the rest of us who don't have their expertise just happen to benefit. We should be thankful for what we have now.

My only "justification" for using TN-V is to play what games I already bought that Sony is asking me to pay another $40 just to play it on my Vita. (I would have been very happy if they did that UMD exchange in the US for example.)

Until they release a Vita native game that I just have to have (Like a new Final Fantasy that went back to its roots and is nothing like the FF XIII ***), then that would outweigh me hanging on to 2.02. So far, I haven't seen anything compelling enough.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

mlc wrote:On the plus side, the people who won't release their exploits will be really bummed out when someone else discovers their exploit, releases it, and it is patched, all while the original discovery gets no credit. Kind of karma, though I guess if you're scared of Sony then that would be helpful.

But I can understand why you would sympathize with professional devs who lose sales due to kernel exploits; simultaneously, however, there are a lot of PSP games that aren't released at all or that aren't released in every region (and there is an effective Vita PSN region lock), and therefore it's completely moral for people to want to be able to play those. Obviously this all depends on the number of remaining exploits, or the number of exploits that a dev making this decision is aware of. But you should be glad that I'm not sufficiently qualified to discover your exploits, cuz I'd release them in a minute. ;p Also the additional pressure from a lack of exploits would lead to sufficiently experienced people looking for new exploits, which would be beneficial, although this naturally might be limited in newer consoles where the exploits will be much harder to find or utilize.
I don't believe anyone with a kernel exploit would even think of releasing it because of three reasons:
1) By the time someone understands how to find a kexploit, they have understood the effects of piracy
2) People don't deserve it. Have you ever read the comments on the blog for any kexploit announcement? No one is going to release something just to be insulted
3) Finding a kexploit is really hard, in the latest firmware, there are no easy kexploits, you need to be really clever to find one now.
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
FBJ

Post by FBJ »

jvhellraiser wrote: is unfair for you to say if you want kernel stay on 2.02 and make them choose between a new release game and VHBL
And it's ungrateful for you to even suggest this. Buy a second Vita. Problem solved. The devs aren't your employees; consider what you have a privilege -- nothing more or less.
Vita WIFI 32 GB 3.00 (Limited Edition Pearl White) · Vita WIFI 32 GB 2.02 UNO TN-V (Black) · PSP 1000, 2000, 3000 (5.00 M33-6) · PS3 60GB (Emotion) < OFW 3.40 · PS3 250 GB Slim < OFW 3.40
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

FBJ wrote:
jvhellraiser wrote: is unfair for you to say if you want kernel stay on 2.02 and make them choose between a new release game and VHBL
And it's ungrateful for you to even suggest this. Buy a second Vita. Problem solved. The devs aren't your employees; consider what you have a privilege -- nothing more or less.
Why buy a second Vita? :| Wouldn't a PSP just be better? ;)

Return to “TN CEF”