Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

History and Future of gaming

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Discuss (Official) Games for your favorite platforms
Lykill

History and Future of gaming

Post by Lykill »

Hi wololo forum
This is something interesting I found in my off time from work. Thought I share this with you. If someone already posted this I am sorry.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_games

I know it is a long read but very informing. One very interesting thing I found and also the reason I am posting this.(For some expert opinion on this console http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya. Hint hint. Z. Snake and all the dev guys)Anything you may know or think of it.

Ouya

Developer Boxer8
Type Video game console
Release date December 28, 2012 (Devs)
March 2013 (Preorder)
April 2013 (Retail)
Introductory price $99 USD
Operating system Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
System-on-chip used Nvidia Tegra 3 (T33) SoC[1][2]
CPU Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9
Storage capacity 8 GB internal flash memory
Memory 1 GB RAM
Display HDMI
1080p, 1080i, 720p
Graphics Nvidia ULP GeForce GPU
Input USB 2.0 (one)
Controller input Wireless controller
Connectivity
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
Ethernet port
Dimensions "Around the size of a Rubik's cube"[3]
Website www.ouya.tv

Thanks guys
Ps...I find myself more and more on this forum. Reading and not spending time with the family. Keep on posting guys.
Advertising
St33lDr4g0n

Re: History and Future of gaming

Post by St33lDr4g0n »

Man.... The video game industry definitely has a long and colourful history - Lots of companies to compete with back then, like Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Atari, you name it.

However, I'm not sure I can say the future will be the same tough. The fight for console dominance has ended up with only 3 big companies remaining: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. In my point of view though, all of these companies are getting consumed with worry about piracy and are starting to focus more on DRMs rather than games themselves.

Hopefully, NVIDIA also joins in if Project SHIELD becomes successful :)
Advertising
Last edited by St33lDr4g0n on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-PSP 3000 (03g): 6.61 PRO-C2
-PSP go (05g): 6.61 PRO-C2
-PCH [PS VITA] 1001: OFW 3.XX

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Dwighty

Re: History and Future of gaming

Post by Dwighty »

I think the future of home consoles will be like up and coming consoles like the Ouya. Of course the Ouya is not the future of gaming, rather it's a stepping stone in the right direction. With any luck home consoles will have operating systems like the likes of Android etc (obviously far more advanced versions with much better hardware at its disposable)... and crucially will be open (sort of), well, more openess than the likes of Sony will ever give you.

I really can't see the likes of Sony/Microsoft being in the console industry in forty years time. I think they'll do a Sega and go software instead.

Return to “Games”