Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Suggestion] HBL as signed EBOOT

This is the development forum of the half-byte loader project. For general Half Byte Loader questions, visit the Half Byte Loader forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for HBL Development discussions ONLY. For User support or HBL general discussions, go to viewforum.php?f=3 . Messages that are not development related will be deleted.
JJS
Big Beholder

Re: [Suggestion] HBL as signed EBOOT

Post by JJS »

Alright, something like this should work. It is still pretty rough, things that could be optimized are
- the hbl load address could be higher
- the p5 stubs don't have to be parsed
- function hooks are mostly unnecessary, but have to be controlled by a different flag than g->syscalls_known (because setting it has sideeffects)
- the launcher has more imports than are needed because I just used prxtool to build import stubs from 3.x kernel modules and then removed those without a known name

There are no changes to the HBL files except for a new exploit directory and I removed the -Werror flag from the compiler because otherwise it complains because of the empty arrays in exploit_config.h.
Advertising
Attachments
signedhbl_patch.zip
(12.57 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

Will try that tonight.
I guess it's fine to add this to the SVN.

Regarding the Werror flag, how about not defining the arrays at all, and use a "#ifdef ..." around each "memory cleaning" function in memory.cpp?
Advertising
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
i_love_redsn0w
Banned

Post by i_love_redsn0w »

m0skit0 wrote:Maybe converting HBL into an EBOOT and signing him will allow for easier homebrew running from HBL, so you don't have to pass through a demo exploit to launch HBL. This would get rid for the need of any exploit, and also from all the cleaning since we already know what has to be cleaned :mrgreen:

But I'm thinking also that HBL won't have its "syscall information charge" to be able to resolve the homebrews, but HBL can include any number of imports to be resolved by the OFW kernel as well.
i think there would be no point for this because we can sign usermode homebrews
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Not all homebrews can be signed yet.
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
Strangelove

Post by Strangelove »

i_love_redsn0w wrote:
m0skit0 wrote:Not all homebrew can be signed yet.
if i was correctly informed all USERMODE homebrew can be signed
all usermode homebrew under 5 MB give or take. i don't know why there is a magic limit, my guess is rekeying.
"If you have specific questions ... don't hesitate to ask as the more generic the question is the more philosophic the answer will be" - PSPWizard
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

Discuss the signing somewhere else please. (Also what prevents most homebrews from being successfully signed is that they are compiled as static ELFs)
kidz axe

Post by kidz axe »

I dunno if i can say this but, 6.20 TN HEN is signed, and so is 6.35 or 6.31 HEN Pro are signed.
So im not sure people use HBL that much.
But the idea is awesome!
Also one the side note. i took out the wmenu from the normal hbl revs and ran it, but all that graphics stuff werent there, just a list of homebrews with a black background?
Can someone help me understand why?
:)
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

kidz axe wrote:I dunno if i can say this but, 6.20 TN HEN is signed, and so is 6.35 or 6.31 HEN Pro are signed.
So im not sure people use HBL that much.
This will be useful for people running on 6.37 who can't bother looking for a signed version of all their favorite homebrews. They can run unsigned homebrews from HBL, and signed homebrews from the XMB, without bothering signing them
Also one the side note. i took out the wmenu from the normal hbl revs and ran it, but all that graphics stuff werent there, just a list of homebrews with a black background?
Can someone help me understand why?
Are you sure you copied the Res folder completely? Anyways, wMenu by itself is not very useful...

wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

JJS wrote:Alright, something like this should work. It is still pretty rough, things that could be optimized are
- the hbl load address could be higher
- the p5 stubs don't have to be parsed
- function hooks are mostly unnecessary, but have to be controlled by a different flag than g->syscalls_known (because setting it has sideeffects)
- the launcher has more imports than are needed because I just used prxtool to build import stubs from 3.x kernel modules and then removed those without a known name

There are no changes to the HBL files except for a new exploit directory and I removed the -Werror flag from the compiler because otherwise it complains because of the empty arrays in exploit_config.h.
I couldn't get it to work on OFW 6.37.
I have to dig deeper, but the symptoms are the following:
The Sony gameboot starts, then black screen, no error message, no memstick activity.
Therefore this doesn't look like a problem on the HBL side, but more the signed Eboot itself.

It's very possible that I incorrectly signed the thing (I have so many versions of the various tools right now...), care to share your signed launcher EBOOT?

Edit: my bad, after adding some debugging, what's not working for me seems to be located in h.bin.
Even the first debug statement is not generated, so I'm assuming something very bad is happening at compile time.

bryan1001

Post by bryan1001 »

The Reason Menus for HBL wouldn't work is because the Menus don't load Homebrew, it just tells HBL to load that Homebrew, so If theres no loader, then when you click on an Homebrew, It will return to the XMB, since there is no Program to load the Actual Homebrew.

Return to “Half Byte Loader Development”