Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Homebrew Possibilities for Vita

fr-Ozone

Homebrew Possibilities for Vita

Post by fr-Ozone »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I saw 'Homebrew' and 'General' and went for my instinct.
Anyway, I was just looking at some PSP emulators the other day and stumbled upon a DS emulator for PSP (here if you wanna look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtzvaEjjjQ4) and it's not bad. I mean it runs at 4FPS, which is a shame, but the fact that it even exists and runs at all is bloody impressive if I say so myself. Then I thought that when the Vita inevitably has its kernel exploited in a couple of years that this could be a real possibility. Obviously the touch screen makes things much easier, the extra power doesn't harm things either, and the screen is at a resolution of 960x544 which is easily enough for two 256x192 screens to be fitted side by side. So this could potentially be really awesome and would seriously establish the Vita as the ultimate emulating handheld if not only all previous handhelds, excluding 3DS, and home consoles 5th gen and below, are emulated and a load of older PC games such as Scumm and Ultima are also emulated combined with Vita and PSP ISO loaders and, hopefully, homebrew plugins to get FLAC, M4a, WMA etc and AVI/general DIVX container, MKV and OGV etc are made for the media players then this could be seriously great. I only bought mine about a month ago and just missed the UNO exploit so I've pretty much only been playing Duodecium 012 on it but hopefully VHBL will come out soon and I'll be able to play some Gameboy and SNES. It's a bit *** that these kxploit things have been patched but maybe that's good as well because I'd rather the guys who know what they're doing focus on the task of a kernel CFW, which I've heard will be quite a task as you need some encryption keys to be released or something so I'm expecting quite a few years. My only worry is that the PS Vita continues to be such a flop. It makes me think that it will take much longer to get a proper hack due to the lack of interest and correlating lack of developers-as well as lack of homebrew developers for Kernel-based emulators, although if teams like Daedalus X64 continue and get 100% emulation on the PSP emulator I'm fine with that I just think it/s not feasible. Regardless, sorry if this seems like kind of a pointless thread, but the scene is so boring and without VHBL that thing's just hanging around. So I'd like to quench my thirst with homebrew speculation. Tell me what you think. Also, do you think it's possible to port XMB to the kernel menu in the future? I **** hate that stupid LiveArea ***. All the apps in LiveArea are ****, as well, and touchscreen is annoying.
Advertising
taiyaki04
Location: investigating the Ethereal Horizon with the wielder of Jao Shingan

Re: Homebrew Possibilities for Vita

Post by taiyaki04 »

as far as i know, those emulators you mentioned needs more ram, since we are emulating a psp 1k on the vita... even if we have kernel access on it, it will just be like what we have on the psp... or a little faster, since the emulated psp is faster, from what i have read....

if the vita will be hacked/exploited... the emulators need to be coded from start, since the psp and vita are different... though the vita is more powerful than the psp emu, the speed of the emu will also based on what is unlocked from the vita from a game exploit(if it is user mode) so, some things might be still slow(though i doubt it) and some functions might not be ported(if the game does not use camera, right stick etc)
Advertising
i hope K-on! will have a season 3. if that happens, i will cry my heart out with happiness
devices
PSP 2000 fully hackable - 6.60 me 1.6+pro-c
PSVita 3.01 3g/wifi
PSVita 1.81 wifi urbanix tn-c
fr-Ozone

Post by fr-Ozone »

Of course I meant kernel access of the PS Vita itself and not the ePSP. I understand it would take some smarty to code a DS emulator on the PS Vita's CPU but I would've thought RAM was not a big issue. Obviously I'm not acquainted particularly with technical matters but the PS Vita has 512MB of RAM and the DS has 4MB. I thought that would be plenty to emulate though I don't know where else the RAM is used, maybe linking info between the two screens. The CPU in the PS Vita seems pretty dang impressive and I'd guess that it could be capable of emulating the DS' architecture. I obviously don't know too much but I thought it was an interesting and I'm just so bored with the news drought going on at the moment.
taiyaki04
Location: investigating the Ethereal Horizon with the wielder of Jao Shingan

Post by taiyaki04 »

if im wrong about the ram, then it might be the cpu... im no coder/expert myself, and all i got is what information i read and remember...

even so, the vita can easily emulate the ds, with a kernel access of course... i just dont know about the user mode... since user mode has limitations....

also, i say it can easily emulate the ds because you need at least 2 or 4 times power over the emulated system...
again, this is from what i have read and remember...

and in my opinion, the psp is easily emulated on the vita... therefore, if the psp has more power than the ds(since it can emulate it, but not in full speed), then the vita can also emulate the ds...
i hope K-on! will have a season 3. if that happens, i will cry my heart out with happiness
devices
PSP 2000 fully hackable - 6.60 me 1.6+pro-c
PSVita 3.01 3g/wifi
PSVita 1.81 wifi urbanix tn-c
fr-Ozone

Post by fr-Ozone »

taiyaki04 wrote:if im wrong about the ram, then it might be the cpu... im no coder/expert myself, and all i got is what information i read and remember...

even so, the vita can easily emulate the ds, with a kernel access of course... i just dont know about the user mode... since user mode has limitations....

also, i say it can easily emulate the ds because you need at least 2 or 4 times power over the emulated system...

and in my opinion, the psp is easily emulated on the vita... therefore, if the psp has more power than the ds(since it can emulate it, but not in full speed), then the vita can also emulate the ds...
Well of course, hence why I thought it was interesting as I'd like to finally be able to play 358/2 days and the Zeldas but I can't be bothered to shell out money for a handheld I'll hardly ever play. I believe the PSP is emulated like the GC in the Wii where they shut off components in the system to mimic conditions on the PSP so I don't think there's any software emulation going on there. Nevertheless I certainly think software emulation of DS should be feasible and with that giant touchscreen, easy to use-though times when the game is meant to have a vertical view could be weird I'm sure it would be fine. Do you think XMB as the VIta's default menu would happen in the future? Big fan of the XMB and not that sodding LiveArea ***. The music app is crappy and I miss the beautiful simplicity of the PSP's one. Alos, do you think the PSP is capable of FLAC and DIVX playback? I presume it is as I see other phones with the capability and I'm sure they pale in comparison to the Vita's hardware.
Voltrom

Post by Voltrom »

fr-Ozone wrote:
taiyaki04 wrote:if im wrong about the ram, then it might be the cpu... im no coder/expert myself, and all i got is what information i read and remember...

Well of course, hence why I thought it was interesting as I'd like to finally be able to play 358/2 days and the Zeldas but I can't be bothered to shell out money for a handheld I'll hardly ever play. I believe the PSP is emulated like the GC in the Wii where they shut off components in the system to mimic conditions on the PSP so I don't think there's any software emulation going on there. Nevertheless I certainly think software emulation of DS should be feasible and with that giant touchscreen, easy to use-though times when the game is meant to have a vertical view could be weird I'm sure it would be fine. Do you think XMB as the VIta's default menu would happen in the future? Big fan of the XMB and not that sodding LiveArea ***. The music app is crappy and I miss the beautiful simplicity of the PSP's one. Alos, do you think the PSP is capable of FLAC and DIVX playback? I presume it is as I see other phones with the capability and I'm sure they pale in comparison to the Vita's hardware.

A lot of devices pale in comparison to the vitas hardware. The vita is pale in comparison to other devices "software" however. It is so limited...
White PS~Vita - 4gb UNO Expl0it TN eCFW
fr-Ozone

Post by fr-Ozone »

Voltrom wrote:
A lot of devices pale in comparison to the vitas hardware. The vita is pale in comparison to other devices "software" however. It is so limited...
No arguing with that. That's why I might just put the old horse into storage for a while until the correct people sort out its software via homebrew. I'd love a bit of XMB action on the Vita though, I thought it was the absolute perfect handheld menu.
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

Total_Noob is working on porting the XMB, which will run in the PSPemu, to the PS Vita. There are some features that won't work, but it would still be great. ;)
I also agree with you that the PSP's music app is better than the Vita's, with its graphical effects & clear song info, etc. Though I have SensMe channels on my Vita. :)
For the DS emulator I think it can run well on the Vita, & if there was a kernel exploit, we would be able to customize the Vita's look, make homebrews that use the touchscreen & the cameras, load plugins, NoDRM engine, & of course the abilty to use network features without updating (like the proxy trick, but permanent)...
fr-Ozone

Post by fr-Ozone »

NNNRT wrote:Total_Noob is working on porting the XMB, which will run in the PSPemu, to the PS Vita. There are some features that won't work, but it would still be great. ;)
I also agree with you that the PSP's music app is better than the Vita's, with its graphical effects & clear song info, etc. Though I have SensMe channels on my Vita. :)
For the DS emulator I think it can run well on the Vita, & if there was a kernel exploit, we would be able to customize the Vita's look, make homebrews that use the touchscreen & the cameras, load plugins, NoDRM engine, & of course the abilty to use network features without updating (like the proxy trick, but permanent)...
Well absolutely fantastic old boy. That XMB news is welcome indeed, although I'd love it to run natively as it's a pain to boot up the old PSP mode. I think we can all agree that the PSP had just fantastic software on it and that simple music player is all you ever needed, though FLAC support would have been great there was a homebrew for it I think but it didn't work all that well due to the PSP's power. And I'm glad you think a DS emulator would work as well, I think it would work just fantastically. And of course a kernel exploit is the ultimate goal. When'd the PSP get its first kernel exploit? I presume it was DarkAlex with his CFW in 2007-8 or something. It may require a similar genius to break into the PS Vita, I hope he hurries up. I can't wait til the old beast awakens and I can brag about it. Until then, I suppose we'll just have to wait until the thing's tamed. I hope sales do improve and we do get more developers working on it. I'd love to finally have some 100% N64 emulation and maybe even GameCube? Alright maybe that's too far, I know some high powered PCs can struggle to run dolphin in certain aspects but if we look at it by numbers: it had 43MBs of RAM (versus 512MB) altogether, 586MHz single core CPU (versus 4 core 2GHz) and an 8 GFLOP 162MHz GPU (versus a quad core GPU-not sure about clock speed). Obviously the main hurdle in emulation is always the complexity of the hardware and the 6th generation is where consoles became insanely complex (I think the PS2 had about 5 different processors in it). So we'll see if it's possible but I'm sure we could get similar speeds to the DS emulator link above at least. :D Nevertheless, I think the PS Vita has such great potential for homebrew, and I'll be following it closely every day, I just won't use the old man until I see gains. Back to the cup and ball for now I suppose.
Last edited by fr-Ozone on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NNNRT

Post by NNNRT »

Just to correct you, Dark_Alex released the first CFW in 2006, & stopped working in 2007. You can check here. ;)

As for emulation, there was an old PS2 emulator for the PSP back in FW 1.50, which ran at 0.5 FPS... :lol:
I don't think the kernel exploit for the Vita would take a long time, maybe it will be released this year, & will support built-in emulators as well. 8-) I don't know why Sony hate CFW, but one possibility is pirated games, they want money from PSN (although they are getting money from exploited games). They failed to block PSP CFW, hoping that they also do for the PS Vita. :)

Last but not least, imagine what a Vita homebrew would look like, with the touchscreen, rear touch pad, front & rear cameras, & dual analog sticks... 8-) Anyway it might be a good idea if developers used PSN game files to make OFW homebrews, or if they make apps & put them in PSN for free (or for a little amount of money if the app deserves donation)... :ugeek:

Return to “Homebrews”