Pro Team's PSP Custom Firmware for the Vita. ARK can be downloaded here
#232204 by eighthdayregret
Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:59 am
lord_danzig wrote:eightdayregret you raise some good points. though i'm not sure why the conversation about emulation on the Wii console, it's irrelevant. Also, you fail to recognize that better emulation of the SNES console was already achieved on the 1st gen PSP. the reason why emulation of the SNES is lacking on the vita is due to the limited nature of the exploits, eCFW and ARK. they have very limited access to the Vita's system resources, so the emulators don't have the power they usually would.

it seems programmers are left with two options -- either rewrite the emulators from scratch with the currently limited resources of the vita in mind, or wait for a Userland UVL or Kernel exploit of the Vita, which would give them much more power to work with and make the job a lot easier.

pridefuldawn also makes a good point. if the GBA can be emulated at the speed it is now (not fullspeed, but very close in many games), the SNES clearly can as well. the GBA was the more powerful system. it's just a matter of a very good emu being written, which is not likely at this point IMO.
Actually, it IS relevant... I was responding to this:
udo4ever wrote:
pridefuldawn wrote:I mean has anybody come to general consensus on the best SNES Emulator?
It seems that almost every psp/vita community recommends SNES9x(Including Wololo), but I have found that Eurphoria emulates alot of games better, such as Contra 3.
Also the lastest version of SNEX9X didn't work for me until ARC was released, now it works fine.
The emulation is very subpar for the SNES on the psp, which is pretty baffling because of how old the system is(GBA has perfect emulation, but the SNES does not.)


I second that... I really do wonder why the snes emulator struggles when compared to the gba emulator. The standard answer I get is that emulating the snes is complicated but such an answer seems rather vague and sounds like bolocks to me. Not that I know coding, but emulating the snes seems to work flawlessly on other devices like the wii, while gba emulators struggle to keep up with the same pace. Thus, this leads me to believe that gba is usually more ressource hungry and difficult to emulate. Granted the Wii and the psp ain't the same type of machine...
And the question I was answering was in regard to the PSP, NOT the Vita. And the person I was responding to brought up the Wii.

So now all of a sudden, this conversation has taken another unexpected turn because someone didn't read something. I mean no disrespect, but if you're gonna tell me I'm wrong about something, you should at least take a look at the other posts prior to what I said before doing. so.

And if the SNES emulation was better on the PSP-1000 (even with the lack of extra RAM of the 2000 models), why isn't it still going well now?
The PSP's OS is pretty much the PSP's OS. By your argument, the older versions of the SNES emulator should work, which would mean that this whole argument about the quality of SNES emulation on the PSP would be completely invalid because we'd have, how did you put it? "better emulation of the SNES console was already achieved on the 1st gen PSP" And then you go on to say that what I said is invalid in relation to the Vita, even though I never mentioned the Vita, and neither did the person whose question I was answering.

You're talking about a PSP emulator running a SNES emulator on a Vita.... You can't comment on SNES support for the Vita, considering THERE ARE NO HOMEBREWS FOR THE VITA. Everything we're using was programmed for the PSP.

When there's actually an emulator programmed FOR THE VITA, then this will be a valid point, but for now, it isn't even remotely a valid point to bring up anything as far as "Vita support."

The model of the PSP is not the problem, it's the emulator.

If it doesn't work on a 2000, it's not gonna work on a 1000, 3000, or Go. The hardware is not gonna do a whole lot to change that. If an emu is set up only to use the smaller amount of RAM that's on the 1000, then it's just not gonna take advantage of the full amount of RAM on the 2000, 3000, and Go. It's not gonna make it run worse.

Now if you're talking the opposite (as in an emu programmed for the 2000 that takes advantage of the full amount of added RAM, but used on a 1000), then, yeah, I can see you saying that such and such worked better. But to say that the 2000 runs emus worse than the 1000 is completely inaccurate.
At the very least, they run them the same, if not the 2000 running the emu slightly better because of the extra headroom.
Advertising
#232213 by lord_danzig
Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:25 am
okay, i honestly have no clue wtf you're talking about then. if you are not gonna talk about the Vita and the emulators that run via ARK PSP Emulation, then why are you in my thread posting walls of text about nothing?

by better emulation on 1st gen PSPs, i'm referring to the fact that if you run a SNES emulator (specifically SNES9XTYL) on a PSP phat, it seems to run better than the emulator does on my Vita eCFW. same with daedalus. there is something lost with eCFW and i'm not sure what.
Advertising
#232218 by HaYNigloo
Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:49 am
Precisely, 'cuz its a psp1K that is being emulated. Emulated being the key word.
#232475 by udo4ever
Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:44 pm
Very interesting information... I do wish I knew coding so that I can start an emulator from the ground up that uses the extra cpu speed that is available in the psp emulator of the ps vita. I beleive Wololo mentioned that he wanted to get a bunch of programmers together to document these potential changes so that we can tap into that extra power in the psp emulator. Perhaps some programers will take this newfound information and create a snes emu around this new information? Maybe this will help the n64 emu as well.
#232525 by vitasav
Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 am
udo4ever wrote:Very interesting information... I do wish I knew coding so that I can start an emulator from the ground up that uses the extra cpu speed that is available in the psp emulator of the ps vita. I beleive Wololo mentioned that he wanted to get a bunch of programmers together to document these potential changes so that we can tap into that extra power in the psp emulator. Perhaps some programers will take this newfound information and create a snes emu around this new information? Maybe this will help the n64 emu as well.



i hope so but i doubt anything will come of that....atleast anytime soon.
#232676 by eighthdayregret
Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 pm
lord_danzig wrote:okay, i honestly have no clue wtf you're talking about then. if you are not gonna talk about the Vita and the emulators that run via ARK PSP Emulation, then why are you in my thread posting walls of text about nothing?
Simple: because someone asked the question and any kind of answer would HAVE to address the fact that all emulators being used on the Vita are programmed for the PSP and NOT the Vita, since the Vita itself hasn't been hacked yet, only the PSP emulator contained in its operating system.

NO ONE can address the 'lack of SNES support for the Vita' because it is not yet possible to make an emulator specifically programmed for the Vita.

You asked a flawed question.
#232770 by lord_danzig
Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 am
eighthdayregret wrote:Simple: because someone asked the question and any kind of answer would HAVE to address the fact that all emulators being used on the Vita are programmed for the PSP and NOT the Vita, since the Vita itself hasn't been hacked yet, only the PSP emulator contained in its operating system.

NO ONE can address the 'lack of SNES support for the Vita' because it is not yet possible to make an emulator specifically programmed for the Vita.

You asked a flawed question.


Well, since you insist on picking apart everything ppl say, the Vita has been hacked but those hacks are not being made public as of yet. Another thing, it is quite possible to make an emulator specifically programmed for the Vita's built-in PSP emulator -- not just for a PSP itself, since there is actually a difference between the two. One is a real device and one is a piece of emulation (since you insist on pointing out the obvious, saying great things like the psp2000 is faster than the 1000, no **** sherlock).

Honestly I'm all for keeping the conversation up but your attitude is really annoying.
#232777 by rafael707
Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 am
HaYNigloo wrote:As far as Snes9x goes, have you tried Euphoria r5 noME? My setting are the same in both EMUs, but Euphoria is a bit faster for me.


that version is the one im using, but i cant save in-game or using the savestate functions in the emu it just freezes.. help? :(
#232821 by lord_danzig
Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am
rafael707 wrote:
HaYNigloo wrote:As far as Snes9x goes, have you tried Euphoria r5 noME? My setting are the same in both EMUs, but Euphoria is a bit faster for me.


that version is the one im using, but i cant save in-game or using the savestate functions in the emu it just freezes.. help? :(


i'm really glad you showed me that cuz it's WAY faster than snes8xTYL. i can save in-game on mine though, havent tried the savestates... idk
#232939 by rafael707
Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 pm
lord_danzig wrote:
rafael707 wrote:
HaYNigloo wrote:As far as Snes9x goes, have you tried Euphoria r5 noME? My setting are the same in both EMUs, but Euphoria is a bit faster for me.


that version is the one im using, but i cant save in-game or using the savestate functions in the emu it just freezes.. help? :(


i'm really glad you showed me that cuz it's WAY faster than snes8xTYL. i can save in-game on mine though, havent tried the savestates... idk


once you save in-game, try exiting the emu and returning back to it and load the save. thats what i would do to test if it actually saved which it wont.. :(

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests