Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

How does PS VITA emulates PSone?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: How does PS VITA emulates PSone?

Post by fate6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am

hmm we are getting into territory that I dont know much about :/
pops is in f0 on the Vita but the one that is added via eCFW allows "custom" PS1 eboots
in other words it allows riped PS1 games

at least that s sorta how it worked on PSP with CFW
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

foxsevent

Post by foxsevent » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:55 am

fate6 wrote:hmm we are getting into territory that I dont know much about :/
pops is in f0 on the Vita but the one that is added via eCFW allows "custom" PS1 eboots
in other words it allows riped PS1 games

at least that s sorta how it worked on PSP with CFW
This makes me wish that VITA was hacked already so would know how it works :/ also i don't think it's a 1:1 copy of PSP POPS if it was then there would be no support for custom screen stretching via touch screen, no support for second analog and touch pad (L2,R2), PS VITA somehow detects if it's a PSP or PSone game and gives different configuration menu.

Another weird thing is that in the PSone emulator we can assign touch screen, touch pad or L/R as L3 and R3 which PSone doesn't support PS2 support hint?
Advertising

fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:59 am

I doubt its a PS2 hint since the PS1 did have those buttons
but yea I am lost by this point so unfortunately I cant say more without just getting in to the "assumptions" territory 0__0
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

foxsevent

Post by foxsevent » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 pm

fate6 wrote:I doubt its a PS2 hint since the PS1 did have those buttons
but yea I am lost by this point so unfortunately I cant say more without just getting in to the "assumptions" territory 0__0
It did O__O i can't recall a single game that used them, i remember that on the PS2 with Dual Shock 2 were they used in games.

fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 pm

TBH I cant remember them ever being used either :lol:

foxsevent

Post by foxsevent » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Well now i have to bite on my own words so this hurts. :?

After reading this:
http://www.vitadevwiki.com/index.php?title=PSP_Emulator
We can see that POPS module was added to f0 with update 1.80 but i still say it's not a 1:1 copy.
The big difference between PSP and PS VITA PSP emulator is "kermit", from what i understand "kermit" acts as a controller/communicator between PS VITA and PSP emulator so can't the same be done for the PSone emulation?
Like:
PS VITA - Kermit - PSP Emulator
PS VITA - Kermit - PSone emulator
I know this is pure speculation but i believe this makes for sense then running emulator on a emulator which most people do with CEF/ARK. ;)

One more thing to clear my own confusion.

In the beginning PS VITA had no support for PSone games then the hackers managed to implant POPS module into the PSP emulator within the PS VITA.
Here a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7bWyyDXBg this video was uploaded on 15 May and in the video we can see PSP POPS menu.

Then on the 27 August "Sony" released 1.80 update for the PS VITA with their own POPS module.

What CEF/ARK i believe is doing the first thing implementing the old POPS module into the PSP emulation.

Z80

Post by Z80 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm

foxsevent wrote:Another thing how can it be 1:1 copy when the PSP emulator doesn't contain POPS modules? correct me on this but weren't the hackers that implemented PSP POPS modules into PS VITA PSP emulator?
$0ny added these modules NOT hackers!
http://www.vitadevwiki.com/index.php?ti ... 29_changes
there is no standalone psone emulator
EDIT:ups bad browser refresh :/
EDIT2: i have some idea's how to make sound work through kermit ..

JeoWay

Post by JeoWay » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:29 am

foxsevent wrote:Such question cause i keep getting different information about it, like it's the PSP Emulator running PSone emulator with the exception of the "Media Engine"(sound) being handled by VITA itself.
Now this could be true but then why VITA didn't support PSone titles from the start ? true it does lack "ME" but wouldn't be easier to implement "ME" emulation on the PSP emulator and have PSone support from start, why did we have to wait for update 1.80?
Second issue i'm seeing here is file handling, PSone/PSP/MINIS/VITA games on PS VITA are stored in PSVIMG format unlike on PSP in EBOOT.PBP.
Of course "Sony" could change the PSP emulator to handle such files but then again it would require a lot of work when they could simply implement "ME" emulation leave PSone titles in EBOOT.PBP and be done with it.
Last thing is games compatibility, why there are some PSone games that are on the PSP but not on the PS VITA when supposedly it's the same emulator?

In my opinion PS VITA PSone emulator runs natively on VITA OS specs but it's just a PORT of the PSP or PS3 version which was not perfect thus it needs improvement and not all games are working.

Another thing could someone post differences between PS VITA and PSP handling PSone games, what i mean is if a certain game runs better on one or the other for instance "Spyro 3 Year of The Dragon" runs better on PS VITA then on PS3, on the PS3 it suffer from small frame drops while on VITA it runs smoothly.
Sadly i don't have my PSP ATM to see how it is on it.

Basically, what Sony has done is take a PSOne game and created/ported the game into a modified EBOOT that is compatible with the system. Now, look at newer PS3 models, no PS2 disk support, correct? Well those PS3 downloadables are what are called 'modded eboots'.
Similar to emulating your old SNES games on CFW. Exept these don't require any special loader ;)
Intel Core i7 4770K @4.7Ghz
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RAM
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair H100i Water Cooling
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
1TB WD Blue - 128GB 840 PRO SSD
BenQ XL2420TE Gaming Monitor

suziejoebob

Post by suziejoebob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 pm

fate6 wrote:TBH I cant remember them ever being used either :lol:
I remember that Ape Escape required the left and right analog sticks for movement and in-game actions, respectively. Other games didn't require it, but made it easier, such for manipulating the in-game camera, such as Spyro 3.

JeoWay

Post by JeoWay » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:42 am

foxsevent wrote:Such question cause i keep getting different information about it, like it's the PSP Emulator running PSone emulator with the exception of the "Media Engine"(sound) being handled by VITA itself.
Now this could be true but then why VITA didn't support PSone titles from the start ? true it does lack "ME" but wouldn't be easier to implement "ME" emulation on the PSP emulator and have PSone support from start, why did we have to wait for update 1.80?
Second issue i'm seeing here is file handling, PSone/PSP/MINIS/VITA games on PS VITA are stored in PSVIMG format unlike on PSP in EBOOT.PBP.
Of course "Sony" could change the PSP emulator to handle such files but then again it would require a lot of work when they could simply implement "ME" emulation leave PSone titles in EBOOT.PBP and be done with it.
Last thing is games compatibility, why there are some PSone games that are on the PSP but not on the PS VITA when supposedly it's the same emulator?

In my opinion PS VITA PSone emulator runs natively on VITA OS specs but it's just a PORT of the PSP or PS3 version which was not perfect thus it needs improvement and not all games are working.

Another thing could someone post differences between PS VITA and PSP handling PSone games, what i mean is if a certain game runs better on one or the other for instance "Spyro 3 Year of The Dragon" runs better on PS VITA then on PS3, on the PS3 it suffer from small frame drops while on VITA it runs smoothly.
Sadly i don't have my PSP ATM to see how it is on it.
Games on PS Vita aren't stored as PSVIMG. Thats just the encrypted file for copying between PSV and PC.
Heres how it works:

Download your game via the PS Store > Game downloads as a .PKG file > PSV unpacks the .PKG file and installs the data > The Data is then converted into an EBOOT.BIN file in the VS0. Your just downloading Sony encrypted files while the PSV decrypts the data, converts, then installs it onto the VS0 MS.
Intel Core i7 4770K @4.7Ghz
MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard
32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RAM
Radeon 7950 OC DD (XFX)
Corsair H100i Water Cooling
Corsair HX1050 PSU
Corsair 900D
1TB WD Blue - 128GB 840 PRO SSD
BenQ XL2420TE Gaming Monitor

Return to “Programming and Security”