Discuss official PS Vita games here
#226294 by afabledhero
Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:39 pm
I was planning on buying persona 4 golden because everyone is saying how great it is but I have 1 question: Whould it be better to play the other games in the series first? I enjoy a good story and I dont wanna be lost with the characters and stuff..

or is it a new story in its own?
Advertising
#226298 by 30Wditch
Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:49 pm
I havn't played the others neither and started with p4g and i have to say its great!
the story and most characters are new and its very easy to get into the story.

you wont regret it ;)
Advertising
#226334 by xoombie503
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 pm
you dont need to play the other series but i would recommend you play persona 3 portable first cuz its cheaper and see if you like it.then p4g is way better in all aspects.
#226341 by pridefuldawn
Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:45 pm
I would reccomend getting Persona 3, I have heard it has a more well wriitten story then Persona 4, and it has very similar mechanics as Persona 4(but it is less streamlined). Persona 2 looks good, but I would play Persona 3 first. Persona 1 looks very bland though, and is said to be the hardest in the series.
#226345 by GrimFandango
Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 pm
If you have ps3 you can download persona 3 fes on the PSN store. It's only $10 bucks, and get persona 4 golden too. Both are really good with different characters, story, ect. It's really addicting!
#226385 by tracekid
Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 am
To tell you the truth, I personally feel that the Persona 2 series was the best. But considering that Persona 2 is really only complete in Japan for PSP or Vita playability I guess go with 3 and then 4. If you can stand only getting half a story, play Persona 2 Innocent Sin and then either get the original Persona 2 Eternal Punishment or just read the synopsis on it. Awesome games.
#227353 by Ikeaner
Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:53 pm
First: No, the stories do not link. All the persona games have an own story which is closed in the games. Of course there are some characters you might know from older games (For example Igor, who is in every game; But also Chihiro, the student council president of the school of P3 is seen in P4), but you don't need the other ones first.

I started with Persona3Portable. P3P Was a great game, though the overworld was limited in contrary to the not portable versions. Still, it is a great game and I would recommend buying it first so you can see if you like it.

Persona 4 Golden ist atually my favorite game for the PSVita (also almost favorite game in general :D). It uses all the functions well and has nice extras, additions to the story and is very roundend. I would really recommend the games for everyone, but you should try P3 first. :)

Also don't try P2 or P1 to see if you like the others, P3&4 are nothing like the ones before. You might like P2 (I didn't to be honest), but the experience is different from the next games.
#227682 by Mare-chan
Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:04 pm
To be honest they're all great games. I love 3 the most since it was pretty series and fun at the same time 4 had great music but plot wise it wasn't as dark as 3 was, I would suggest checking out 1 and 2 as well since they are just as fun although playing them in Japanese does get a little annoying at times.
#227749 by metalmantn
Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:00 pm
After playing 1, 3, and 4, my favorite is definitely 4. I still need to pick up 2, but if you are already questioning if you want this game, then you do want it. P4 is so well made that the only people I wouldn't recommend it to are people who have no interest at all. Clearly you are interested, so I'd be shocked if you didn't love it.
#227784 by Mare-chan
Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 pm
metalmantn wrote:After playing 1, 3, and 4, my favorite is definitely 4. I still need to pick up 2, but if you are already questioning if you want this game, then you do want it. P4 is so well made that the only people I wouldn't recommend it to are people who have no interest at all. Clearly you are interested, so I'd be shocked if you didn't love it.

P2 Tsumi is quite good actually although playing Batsu in Japanese was a little irritating but I did want to play through all the Persona games on PSP.

Honestly P4 seems well made because it was expanded upon with the anime and Mayonaka, if the others especially P2 was adapted into an anime then it would definitely beat out P4. P3 would come in second if it wasn't for that horrid spin off anime.