Total_Noob's PSP Emulator Custom Firmware for the Vita. CEF can be downloaded here.
#219705 by GeminiContractor
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 am
Theredbaron wrote:Yeah, don't like it, but I do believe that is how america is now. You no longer "own" games. You rent them, as it were. So you don't get a backup. It is really a big o' bag of Bull. One of the reasons I mainly only play my old school games. It has to be a really great game for me to be willing to play $40+ for a "rental".


I see.
Does that not apply to older games though?
Advertising
#219718 by The Z
Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:53 am
Theredbaron wrote:
xcrimsonstormx wrote:So is this new exploit going to allow ps vita Isos or just psp Isos sorry I'm new

Nothing can now, or for quite some time run vita backups.

Also, when/if they are every backed up, they willl not be iso's. Iso's are for disks. They will be roms, as they are read only memory.

Correct, since they arent disks but cartridges, it would be correct to call them PS Vita ROMs, not ISOs. Same with the (3)DS Cartridges, they are ROMs not ISOs.
Backing up your own games is legal, unless they are copy protected, which would make it illegal, since you have to break this protection.

BTW UMDs arent copy protected. They claim they are, but you dont need any special tool to "break" this "copy protection". A PSP with disc0:/ access doesnt break any copy protection of the UMD itself and therefore the UMD is not copy protected and its totally legal to back em up.

Theredbaron wrote:Yeah, don't like it, but I do believe that is how america is now. You no longer "own" games. You rent them, as it were. So you don't get a backup. It is really a big o' bag of Bull. One of the reasons I mainly only play my old school games. It has to be a really great game for me to be willing to play $40+ for a "rental".


The rest of the world would like to disagree.
Advertising
#219721 by Theredbaron
Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:00 am
I am pretty sure that the eula started adding that only recently, like the past 5-10 years, but I really don't know. Everything you "buy" from an app store has it too. I recall amazon pulling books off of some kindles not to long ago. People bought them, but then amazon kicked the books from their store. Then they went into all the kindle's and deleted those books, even though people had paid for them. Plus, alot of game companies are trying to remove resells. Really makes me annoyed.

Go through the eula in any game in this gen of consoles, and I have no doubt you will see it. The problem is that they "hide" it, so not many people know about it.

I honestly havn't bought a new game in a long time, except for the humble bundles anyways. If I am going to be renting the games anyways, might as well just really rent them. Or borrow them, whatever.

Of the few games I have bought recently, Bioshock 2 and Far Cry 2 being about the newest big games, I always install the crack now too. I own the game, have the DVD and all, but the "crack" just makes it so much more usable. Dang companies are just making it to hard to play a game. Case in point: I couldn't play Far Cry 2 for a year, because I didn't have internet on my gaming computer, and didn't know about cracks. It needed to check a server to see if it can install. Now, even if you have net, what happens when that server goes down? Or if the company goes down? You no longer "rent" the game, thats what. Or you crack it.

The only reason I wanted a vita is because A. I knew it would be great playing my old GBA games, 2. I wanted a small internet device, and C. I wanted a mp3/video player with bluetooth. I really am not interisted in many of the games. Actually, none that are out now look all that worth it, though some in the future do, like Bioshock. Only time will tell though.



The Z wrote:The rest of the world would like to disagree.


Yeah, I just wish that america would get it into it's thick skull that it isn't right. For now though, it is illigal, at least as far as I know. It could all just be a bunch of FUD put out by the gaming corps, but I am not sure. Some times I want to move to Canada. America is just so backwords when it comes to tech.
#219770 by NakedFaerie
Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:53 am
The Z wrote:
Theredbaron wrote:
xcrimsonstormx wrote:So is this new exploit going to allow ps vita Isos or just psp Isos sorry I'm new

Nothing can now, or for quite some time run vita backups.

Also, when/if they are every backed up, they willl not be iso's. Iso's are for disks. They will be roms, as they are read only memory.

Correct, since they arent disks but cartridges, it would be correct to call them PS Vita ROMs, not ISOs. Same with the (3)DS Cartridges, they are ROMs not ISOs.
Backing up your own games is legal, unless they are copy protected, which would make it illegal, since you have to break this protection.

BTW UMDs arent copy protected. They claim they are, but you dont need any special tool to "break" this "copy protection". A PSP with disc0:/ access doesnt break any copy protection of the UMD itself and therefore the UMD is not copy protected and its totally legal to back em up.

The problem with this is the 3DS maybe ROMS but they hold save data so you can write to them.
The Vita games are more like UMDs where it is read only and nothing can be written to them.
As UMDs are ISOs then the Vita games should also be ISOs. Both cant be written to.

It doesn't really matter anyway as they cant be made atm anyway and when they do finally get hacked and able to be backed up it all depends on the dev who starts it to whatever they want to call it or do wit it.
They might come in ROM format or they might come in ISO format. We will have to wait and see.
#219771 by NakedFaerie
Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:56 am
Theredbaron wrote:Yeah, I just wish that america would get it into it's thick skull that it isn't right. For now though, it is illigal, at least as far as I know. It could all just be a bunch of FUD put out by the gaming corps, but I am not sure. Some times I want to move to Canada. America is just so backwords when it comes to tech.


Yea America have some really stupid laws and thats not just for gaming but Australia is the place that is far behind the times. They dont even have a R18+ rating where the rest of the world does.
#219792 by chookooz
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:44 am
NakedFaerie wrote:
Theredbaron wrote:Yeah, I just wish that america would get it into it's thick skull that it isn't right. For now though, it is illigal, at least as far as I know. It could all just be a bunch of FUD put out by the gaming corps, but I am not sure. Some times I want to move to Canada. America is just so backwords when it comes to tech.


Yea America have some really stupid laws and thats not just for gaming but Australia is the place that is far behind the times. They dont even have a R18+ rating where the rest of the world does.


Correction.. Australia does have R18+ Laws now they came into effect later this year, still it was way overdue.
#219794 by CableLeecher
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:56 am
NakedFaerie wrote:The Vita games are more like UMDs where it is read only and nothing can be written to them.
As UMDs are ISOs then the Vita games should also be ISOs. Both cant be written to.


Incorrect... It depends on the Cartridge... Assassin's Creed Liberation for example... The SaveGame ist stored ON THE GAMECART itself...

Already in the late 80's and early 90's there were even SEGA MegaDrive / Genesis Cartridges / NES / SNES Cartridges that stored the SaveGame directly on it and it is still a .ROM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_Image

ISO would be correct if it's a backup from a Optical Disc Media according to the ISO 9660 Standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

No offence, but if you don't have a clue about system architecture, filesystems and how integrated circuts etc. are working then please don't spread rumours... :roll:
#219821 by Theredbaron
Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 am
NakedFaerie wrote:The problem with this is the 3DS maybe ROMS but they hold save data so you can write to them.
The Vita games are more like UMDs where it is read only and nothing can be written to them.
As UMDs are ISOs then the Vita games should also be ISOs. Both cant be written to.

It doesn't really matter anyway as they cant be made atm anyway and when they do finally get hacked and able to be backed up it all depends on the dev who starts it to whatever they want to call it or do wit it.
They might come in ROM format or they might come in ISO format. We will have to wait and see.


The format the game comes in doesn't have anything to do with if the cart can be written to. It is all about where the game data is stored.

"An ISO image is an archive file (also known as a disk image) of an optical disc, composed of the data contents of every written sector of an optical disc, including the optical disc file system." - wiki¹

Since UMD's are cd's, their rips where know as ISO's. As are xbox/360/ps1/2/3/GC/Wii/Saturn/ect.

"A ROM image, or ROM file, is a computer file which contains a copy of the data from a read-only memory chip, often from a video game cartridge, a computer's firmware, or from an arcade game's main board." - wiki¹

Now, Vita's game carts may let you save to them, but the actually game is stored on a rom chip. It just also happens to have a flash chip too for saving. So when a backup is made, it will be made by dumping the rom chip, thus rom. Just like NES/SNES/N64/Gen/MS/GBA/GBC/GB/etc. Alot of which could also save to the cart.

Even if it was just 1 big rw flash that stored both the game and save, which would be cool as it would allow for updating the game nicely(though won't be done as it would allow replacing the game too), the dump would in all likelyhood still be known as a rom, as for all intents and purposes that game data will still be read only, and not a cd rip. They could come up with a "new" name, but I doubt it.

¹. Yes, I know, wikipedia isn't a place to go for answers, always check the source, ect. However, for this I think it's alright.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest