Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Hypothetical native homebrew. Let's hypothesize!

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Re: Hypothetical native homebrew. Let's hypothesize!

Post by hgoel0974 »

gibbman wrote:-(if it's legal) a port of windows xp, like windows 98 for psp (was very slow)
The Vita's specs should allow us to do windows vista at full speed but linux would be much more legal, maybe a fedora 18 port with the beautiful GNOME3 Shell?
Advertising
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

hgoel0974 wrote:The Vita's specs should allow us to do windows vista at full speed
windows vista = intel cpu
vita uses arm, so it would not be at full speed (it's also the same reason why windows 98 ran so slow on psp)
Advertising
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

Acid_Snake wrote:
hgoel0974 wrote:The Vita's specs should allow us to do windows vista at full speed
windows vista = intel cpu
vita uses arm, so it would not be at full speed (it's also the same reason why windows 98 ran so slow on psp)
so, ofcourse linux would be better, Fedora isn't too good with ARM's so maybe we might see a full speed Ubuntu with Unity UI, I just love the GNOME3 UI and Unity is almost the same
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
davey8384

Post by davey8384 »

I would like the option of unmounting and mounting memory cards (like on smart phones) without having to shutdown/reset the vita everytime. I know quite a few people, including myself who have a memory card for PSN indifferent regions (US, UK, JP) just for the ability to play games that are not distributed worldwide and to take advantages of region locked promos (such as the 4 free minis recently offered in the UK alone)
Theredbaron

Post by Theredbaron »

What would I want out of a kernel modded vita?

1. Linux. Arch with LXDE would be awesome. Or even Gentoo.

2. A bloody working browser. Come on, even links -g would be better, but how awesome would even Midori be.

3. The ability to turn off the that dang blue light on the PS button. I listen to music as I go to sleep, and that thing just is annoying.

4. A good video/music player. MP4 is all well and good, but it should be able to do MKVs or at least AVI's. And wtf is with only playing wave mp4/3's for music? Where is my Flac support? Or APE/TTA, ect. How about ogg? Heck, they don't even have to pay anybody to use it. I don't understand why ogg and flac isn't on everything.

5. Gifs. Come one, give me my gifs.

6. Comics. Yeah, you can use the photo thing, but it's doesn't have the best support, and I want my cb7/r/z's support.
Vita 3G - 4GB/8GB - 3.00 TN-V
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

Theredbaron wrote: 3. The ability to turn off the that dang blue light on the PS button. I listen to music as I go to sleep, and that thing just is annoying.
>Use electrical tape and put a little over it
>Profit?!? :mrgreen:
Theredbaron

Post by Theredbaron »

Jd8531 wrote: >Use electrical tape and put a little over it
>Profit?!? :mrgreen:
That's how it is now, but come on.

If the screen has gone to standby, and just music is playing the light should go off too.

Also have electric tape over all the vampire lights on my computer, as it is right by my bed too. :)
Vita 3G - 4GB/8GB - 3.00 TN-V
PCMGR

Post by PCMGR »

I am sure the Vita can handle GC/DC/DS emulation,not so sure about ps2.
I would also love to see a Linux distro on Vita because of the endless possibilites (wouldn't a Vita with linux be better than an Ipad in....everything?)
What do I have:
[spoiler]Nothing to lose.[/spoiler]
davey8384

Post by davey8384 »

DS emulation would be great! I would love to play the Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright series on my vita!
TelcoLou

Post by TelcoLou »

davey8384 wrote:DS emulation would be great! I would love to play the Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright series on my vita!
I wouldn't.

You'd have to hold the Vita in an awkward position, and use the analog stick to emulate the stylus.

ewww/10 :lol:
TelcoLou ..... Playing Video Games since 1977, and still going strong!

Return to “Programming and Security”