Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

NeoGeo X Gold Bundle

Discuss about your favorite (gaming...or not) devices here. The most popular ones will end up getting their own categories
Programming discussions for your favorite Device
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
nCadeRegal

NeoGeo X Gold Bundle

Post by nCadeRegal »

Just got this bad boy on the 18th, and was trying to figure out a way to read whats on the flash of the system.
It takes a regular SD card for the games, If I plug it into my card reader it wants to format the card(win xp).

If I plug the handheld itself into my pc it recognizes it as new hardware and when i pull up the properties icon it says, Ingenic file-stor Gadget USB device. When the window opens up it doesn't show any icons or files. Now I'm sure that they used a special format for the sd card, anyone familiar with neogeo or its games /roms? What file format are they, and does anyone have any ideas as how to go about trying to find out what format they are using on the sd cards? Is there a program I can download to look into this more?

The system itself says that there is .99gb of storage internally and shows it as full, it came pre-loaded with 20 games. Basically I'm looking for a program that will let me see the file structure of the operating system, if such a thing exists? What it all boils down to is i would like to start working on getting some Brews running on this nice piece of gear that tommo and snk have provided for me. Any info or help on this project would be greatly appreciated! :D I plan on submitting an article for the news section this weekend and a review of the product itself.

With the game carts being on regular sd cards, I'm hoping to use that to the fullest to load that card up with all my favorite homebrews, which would be a ways away.
I first and foremost need to find out what makes this device tick, and ultimately see if i can adapt it to what i want, and hopefully some of you were lucky enough to get one, and are interested in making this become a reality. Its a beautiful little handheld. hdmi out, usb, sd card input, one analog nub(makes that old school arcadey clicking sound)a,b,c,d face buttons, and both L1 +L2, and R1+R2. PLus it plays NeoGeo AES games how great is that! Thanks in advance for any help,Ideas,and or interest in this project :)

-----

It is saying that the file system is fat32 format, any ideas how to break the encryption? Or how to get it to show any and all files whether they are hidden, encrypted or not?

Update: I was able to access the internal file structure. The operating system is Linux based. It has 1GB of internal storage, but only about 22MB is used. With this find being a Linux based system my hopes of its brewability are looking even better. I hope this raises some ears now knowing this, and some help, and or tips would be nice. PM me if u are interested and i will keep you updated on my progress :D
Advertising
Last edited by Casavult on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fate6: tried to fix block-o-text - Casavult: Merged posts.
[spoiler]Ps3 Phat 80gb 4.65 Ferrox, Ps3 Slim 120gb 4.65 Darknet, Ps3 Slim 320gb 4.66 OFW, Ps4 Destiny Bundle, Vita 1K OFW, Vita 1K TN-v, to many PSP's to list, Vita TV OFW, Collector of consoles[/spoiler]
wololo
Site Admin

Re: NeoGeo X Gold Bundle

Post by wololo »

Seems like significant progress on hacking is being made here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... g-and-Mods

The device can be found for $199 at amazon (disclaimer: affiliate link). reviews are mixed but overall positive (3.7/5 as I type this).

This will not be better than a Vita in terms of raw power, the question is, is it better than a PSP? It's a bit expensive unless it can be hacked and has enough raw power to play more than NeoGeo games :)
Advertising
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

windows has very little compatibility with filesystems so there is no reason to say it has a special filesystem. Just try it with linux, if linux can't read it (or at least, can't tell you the name of the filesystem) then it is a special one
nCadeRegal

Post by nCadeRegal »

I remember reading somewhere that they will eventually sell just the handheld for 129$. But I read into that forum you posted, nice find! It seems that it is a pretty powerful little handheld, in time I think it will rival the psp. Being th at it has l1 l2 r1 r2 buttons and an hdmi out only the future will tell? Thank you for that find Wololo, at least I'm not on my own now!
[spoiler]Ps3 Phat 80gb 4.65 Ferrox, Ps3 Slim 120gb 4.65 Darknet, Ps3 Slim 320gb 4.66 OFW, Ps4 Destiny Bundle, Vita 1K OFW, Vita 1K TN-v, to many PSP's to list, Vita TV OFW, Collector of consoles[/spoiler]
HackThiefCoder93

Post by HackThiefCoder93 »

I've just ordered mine yesterday, but something went wrong and had to reordered it today and it finally went thru so I'll have it Tuesday , I'm gonna either do the hard-mod that u are gonna do or just wait for the soft-mod:) Regal hit me to-nite bro for some more chat on that G.C Portable plans
In My Collection: Ps3 SS, 2xVita 1000,2xVita 2000, PspGo, Neo Geo X, 3ds XL, Wii, Wii U Pro, Xbox360 slim, Nvidia Sheild,Ps4,Xbox One,Asus ROG 980m 24GBram 1TB storage, Alienware Aurora r5 GTX 980 32GB ram 12TB HDDS, team I.D:LeDaAzn
HackThiefCoder93

nCadeRegal wrote:I remember reading somewhere that they will eventually sell just the handheld for 129$. But I read into that forum you posted, nice find! It seems that it is a pretty powerful little handheld, in time I think it will rival the psp. Being th at it has l1 l2 r1 r2 buttons and an hdmi out only the future will tell? Thank you for that find Wololo, at least I'm not on my own now!
yeh i'm really interested in using those l1,l2 and r1,r2 buttons in emulators and seeing how smooth this bad boy can run them
In My Collection: Ps3 SS, 2xVita 1000,2xVita 2000, PspGo, Neo Geo X, 3ds XL, Wii, Wii U Pro, Xbox360 slim, Nvidia Sheild,Ps4,Xbox One,Asus ROG 980m 24GBram 1TB storage, Alienware Aurora r5 GTX 980 32GB ram 12TB HDDS, team I.D:LeDaAzn
HackThiefCoder93

Man good progress is being made on cracking this baby wide open :)
HackThiefCoder93

Got my NeoGeo today its awesome just a minor prob. l1 and r1 buttons are stiffer than l2 and r2 (l2 r2 feels a little flimsy), But overall its still an impressive device.
HackThiefCoder93

Brought to my attention By nCadeRegal If you hold L1,r1a,b,c,d before selecting a game the Memory card Utility settings pop up, howerver nothing on it works as of now,sorry pics are blurry but they show what im talking about so far no one has found this yet to my knowlege Regal is the first one

1.Me and regal even risked out ninja masters game and hit format card but nothing happened
hopefully this can be a useful feature later on
2.There is also a copy data options but as previously stated no options as of now works
Attachments
Snapshot_20130124_6.JPG
Snapshot_20130124_6.JPG (111.42 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
Snapshot_20130124_8.JPG
Snapshot_20130124_8.JPG (97.67 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
Snapshot_20130124_7.JPG
Snapshot_20130124_7.JPG (85.56 KiB) Viewed 5974 times
nCadeRegal

Post by nCadeRegal »

HackThiefCoder93 wrote:Got my NeoGeo today its awesome just a minor prob. l1 and r1 buttons are stiffer than l2 and r2 (l2 r2 feels a little flimsy), But overall its still an impressive device.

What i did to solve this (and it was by accident that i came across this lil find) When i had it apart i lost one of the springs for the described buttons. So like anyone else not having a replacement was unnacceptable, i took it into my own hands and cut a pen spring. Now with the pen spring in place and the unit back together i noticed that i actually like the stiffer pen spring, rather than the ones that came in the handheld. so i took it back apart and replaced all original springs with pen springs much better feel and response. But wouldnt ya know after doing so I found the missing spring laying on my floor. lol oh well IMO i like the pen springs better.

Give it a try if you plan on taking the unit apart plan on doing the pen spring mod as the originals are easily lost. Its b/c of the way they are under pressure and when you take it apart they go flying out of the handheld. Good luck.
I plan on doing the hard-mod, as soon as i finish up a few projects i got goin on right now. I will post pics when done. once done it will run the original neogeo but with cfw, and it will also run dingux which is how you go about getting emulation support. PS1, Sega Master System, Sega genesis, NES, SNES, Dingux is linux bite sized, but im sure that in time it will support many more emulators. If anyone shows interest in doing this hard-mod i will write a tutorial for any of those who might show interest.

Sources say that come february they will sell just the handheld and should start to release games for the unit, But sources also say that they will drop support entirely and go under if we dont hear anything by the end of february. I can see the latter as being true b/c on the emulation side, all bios and controls are pre-loaded and pre-mapped when you get the system, dingux just unlocks and gives you access to them. Anyone smell a lawsuit here? Maybe copyright infringement? heck They didnt even write their own neo geo emulator. They stole and used Final burn alpha and its bios, also illegal i believe. Only the future will tell what will happen with Tommo, and SNK. :D

Return to “Programming and Security”