Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

BrewNET [Beta 1]

Everything that is PSVita-related but doesn't go in any other subforum

What do you think of BrewNET?

It's great!
17%
It's good, but could be improved.
50%
It needs some major improvements.
17%
It's terrible.
17%

Total votes: 18

Nix50

BrewNET [Beta 1]

Post by Nix50 »

Download the Installer
Current Application Version: 0.1.3.1
Current Database Version: 1.0

I've been watching the PSP and Vita scene for quite some time and I have to admit, it's quite fascinating to see so many aspiring coders pump out different and varied homebrews on a constant basis to both platforms. But, one must admit, all these homebrews do overwhelm us sometimes and it's difficult to find some. But what if there was some sort of alternative to a service like the PlayStation Store? Instead of licensed games, there'd be homebrews, plugins, tools, exploit details and all that goodness. And the best bit? Everything on that alternative would be free for anyone to download.

Well, you're in luck. Today, I introduce to you the first beta version of BrewNET. Think of it as the work in progress PlayStation Store alternative except, it's for homebrew and the like. It was created by myself (NixFifty) and my friend, Cakespls. Right now, the first beta is just to gauge interest and see how many people like the idea. As time goes on, more and more features will be added. But forget all this, lets show some screenshots.

Now, in the above screenshot, you see the main view of the application. In this case, we're browsing through Homebrew Applications. On the left hand side, you have the Navigational Bar and across the top, you have the Ribbon (Inspired by Office 2010). These two provide the ability to navigate through the application. You can see, that on the Navigational Bar, we can choose to see different Categories which are (at the time of writing) Applications, Games and Exploits.

In the center, you have the list of homebrews that are currently in the database. Each homebrew in each category has a unique ID number (See why in the FAQs). In addition to this, you can also see who developed it, a short and simple description and it's size. The last column provides the download link. Copy and paste the link to any browser, and the download will begin. Yes, I admit we have only a few right now but that will change over time. The database will be updated regularly (Often a huge update per week).

As the list of homebrews gets bigger over time, you're going to want to 'sort' your homebrews so you can find certain ones easily. Oh look what we're doing here. We've grouped the homebrews by names of who developed them. So right away, we can see that Drakon has two homebrews in our database right now which are Lamecraft and Jelly Car. Same information as before and we can go ahead and grab that link to download what we need. Simple right?

Above, is the BrewNET Updater which can be accessed from the Start Menu after installation. It can be used to check for Application Updates (Which usually squash bugs, add features and other cool things) and to check for Database Updates (Which add the goodies).

Those are the main things I wanted to share. The rest is up to you to discover.

Of course, we're aware the application isn't perfect and so far we don't have tons of content but that can all be changed. By you. We've set up an area for you to submit bugs, share ideas for future versions and even suggest a homebrew that we should add to the database. We will strive to make sure everyone's voice is heard and we do our best to make the application as best it can be.

Submit bugs, share ideas, suggest homebrews here - http://brewnet.uservoice.com/

In addition to this, it'd be great if you could leave feedback in this thread too.

Installation Instructions:
1) Download the installer.exe from the link below.
2) Run the installation.

When you run the installer, you're prompted to install the '2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components'. In some cases, this may not work for you. If this is the case, the application will not be able to run and it will prompt you to install an alternative. Once you have installed the alternative, it should work as normal.

Frequently Asked Questions:
[spoiler]Why do homebrews have IDs? - Homebrews have ID's to identify them. As the database expands it'll be a chore to keep track of individual names of homebrews. So say there's a problem with a Homebrew Game with the ID 13. Whoever stumbles upon that and decides to report it can simply say 'Oh, there's a problem with homebrew game 13.' Done. We can go straight to 13 and see what the problem is. It makes things simpler for us. Homebrews aren't given ID's based on any factors.

Why are you using Adf.ly links? - This software was created by two individuals in their spare time. We used our own funds to purchase the resources needed for this application (The server). Using Adf.ly revenue and our own funds, we'll be able to upgrade the server and continue to support the software. The revenue made from Adf.ly will all go towards funding the application's resources.

Will you make this open source? - Maybe some time in the future.

How can I suggest homebrew? - Suggest homebrews here - http://brewnet.uservoice.com/[/spoiler]

Changelog:
[spoiler]Version 0.1.3.1 - 24/11/2012:
First public release.[/spoiler]

Download the Installer
Advertising
Last edited by Nix50 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Re: BrewNET [Beta 1]

Post by Xian Nox »

While we understand that funding is needed for homebrew projects, it's a rule on /talk that applies to everyone to not have adf.ly (or similar) links. You can keep the homebrew discussion thread and link to your website (where you can have adf.ly links and/or other sources of revenue) as-is, but keep any download links posted on this website free.
/off-topic
Advertising
Nix50

Post by Nix50 »

Cheers. I got rid of them. I wasn't too sure and a couple of threads had linkbucks so yeah :D
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

Another alternative to PSV Downloader Optimized and The Homebrew Network , this idea is really catching on
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
Nix50

Post by Nix50 »

hgoel0974 wrote:Another alternative to PSV Downloader Optimized and The Homebrew Network , this idea is really catching on
Ah, I tried both but both of them would give me silly exceptions so I decided to craft my own version.
cakes pls

Post by cakes pls »

hgoel0974 wrote:Another alternative to PSV Downloader Optimized and The Homebrew Network , this idea is really catching on
Faulty programs. Sloppy coding, and open ends leading to exceptions.. (Trust me, i know first hand.. :lol: )

I took a lot of time to check the hard coding of BrewNET, exceptions are handled, fail safes and more are in place. BrewNET will be a step in the correct direction on how to do this, and I'm not trying to sound a like a ****, just stating facts. Feel free to leave feedback about BrewNET Guys :)
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

Well we would be able to fix everything if people just gave us feedback but instead all people decide to do is go around saying that it doesn't work :x
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Now, I haven't tried this app (yet), nor have I tried any other of the currently available ones. Here's some things you can (probably) use:
- You require some M$ Office ***. Don't expect people to have Office at all (I don't, I severely dislike any M$ Office after XP), and don't expect them to know what the heck that component thing is or if they have it or not.
- *reads "Ribbon (Inspired by Office 2010)"* *urge to try it out -25%* (<-- joke)
- Make a PSP/Vita installer of some description. I can find other places to download homebrew that don't involve adf.ly and waiting 5s for a download (ex the couple of vhbl/ecfw-ready homebrews threads here), or if I want something for my PSP, I'd just grab it off dl.qj.net or something.
- Make a Linux version if this involves the PSP. Not sure if this PSV-oriented only.
- For a PC application, if you manage to integrate the WIP PSV file transfer library, and you pull it off, your app's awesomeness level will reach about 5000.
- What happens if you no longer maintain this, or the server goes down? I'd really want to see some community effort to make a Homebrew PSN that doesn't rely on one group hosting it. All the attempts to make a homebrew network so far have failed because the developers just lost interest in maintaining the servers and regularly updating the homebrews.
cakes pls wrote:
Faulty programs. Sloppy coding, and open ends leading to exceptions.. (Trust me, i know first hand.. :lol: )

I took a lot of time to check the hard coding of BrewNET, exceptions are handled, fail safes and more are in place. BrewNET will be a step in the correct direction on how to do this, and I'm not trying to sound a like a ****, just stating facts. Feel free to leave feedback about BrewNET Guys :)
All programs (except for hello worlds) can and do have faults of some sorts. Your argument is therefore invalid as far as I'm concerned. Did you leave feedback on any of those two projects? If not, then you're a ****.
cakes pls

Post by cakes pls »

hgoel0974 wrote:Well we would be able to fix everything if people just gave us feedback but instead all people decide to do is go around saying that it doesn't work :x
Cause it doesn't :p I tried HBN, everything i click throws unhandled exception.

And Xian, i know all programs have faults, BrewNET probably has bugs too that won't happen for a while, or something from the future. But from what I've seen from HBN, there's not much of an attempt from the dev to fix it's problems. The code is meh. Relying on feedback too much, to be honest. I'm not here to fight, i just left my two cents about what i saw.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

cakes pls wrote:
hgoel0974 wrote:Well we would be able to fix everything if people just gave us feedback but instead all people decide to do is go around saying that it doesn't work :x
Cause it doesn't :p I tried HBN, everything i click throws unhandled exception.

And Xian, i know all programs have faults, BrewNET probably has bugs too that won't happen for a while, or something from the future. But from what I've seen from HBN, there's not much of an attempt from the dev to fix it's problems. The code is meh. Relying on feedback too much, to be honest. I'm not here to fight, i just left my two cents about what i saw.
That happens either when you haven't allowed it to access the internet. What does the JIT message say? Oh, there is an update coming which might fix all those problems. @Skeleton has made an alternate GUI for those who are having problems.

Return to “General”