Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Can PSVita run a Gamecube emu?

Total_Noob's PSP Emulator Custom Firmware for the Vita. CEF can be downloaded here.
VitaGenic

Re: Can PSVita run a Gamecube emu?

Post by VitaGenic »

I would settle for a Saturn emulator :)
Advertising
PS Vita 3G 16gb 3.18 Talkman Travel Exploit
PS3 CECHA01 60gb Cobra USB
3DS XL White 4.4 Gateway 128gb SD
chingy213

Post by chingy213 »

just buy a gamecube and play gamecube games on your gamecube... (like me)

Unlike others on this forum, i play Vita games on Vita, not psp games or ps1 games, vita games on my vita
Advertising
Ashen

Post by Ashen »

I play GameCube games on my GameCube portable. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Telgardrakore

Post by Telgardrakore »

jrbo wrote:
DrROBschiz wrote:No way

You still need a high end PC to emulate it on Dolphin

And even the Dolphin guys have issues getting all the games to run smoothly

Erm it ran fine on mine on my old school 9800 on GPU mode just fine
CPU a good dual core is just fine since dolphin only uses two threads

That might be true, but you seem to forget that console processing and graphics are considered a joke to regular pc processing power and graphics.

If I am correct, and I checked multiple sites to verify this, the PS3 has the following specs:

3.2GHz Cell Processor (Has both pros and cons compared to a PC equivalent)
256Mb System and 256Mb video graphics RAM (Yes, thats less then 1Gb of ram...)
RSX 550MHz graphics processor slightly under comparable to a Nvidia 7800 (It was based on the actual 7800 but with lowered features)

With that said, you have to remember a console is designed for gaming so its architecture is built for it. Even so, the PS3 is light years weaker then your "old school" 9800" GPU, your processor is probably weaker then 3.2 but I would imagine can multithread way better. Also, your RAM makes the PS3 cry itself to sleep. Your PC is more then capable of running a GC emulator, but a PS3, let alone a Vita, would have a LOT of problems without using native code and Vita kernel access. Even then, it probably wont run very fast since an emulator always takes more power then the original.

It sucks because I would love to play those GC games too, but chances are very slim a GC emulator would come out on the vita in the future.

NOTE* lastly, the Dolphin GC emulator isnt even perfected on the PC. Until its perfected on the PC, it will never see another system and be all that functional. I mean look at Dedalus, its speed is a laughing stock on the vita, and its a whole generation before GC and a heck of a lot longer time being coded.
rog

Post by rog »

Until its perfected on the PC, it will never see another system and be all that functional.
False.

If you could install linux on the vita, you could run dolphin on it right now.
3.2GHz Cell Processor (Has both pros and cons compared to a PC equivalent)
256Mb System and 256Mb video graphics RAM (Yes, thats less then 1Gb of ram...)
RSX 550MHz graphics processor slightly under comparable to a Nvidia 7800 (It was based on the actual 7800 but with lowered features)
There are no advantages at all to the CELL architecture, when it comes to emulation. It's **** tier.
It has sufficient ram. Barely, but it's enough.
The video card doesn't matter at all. Dolphin can run on integrated graphics just fine.
Elratauru

Post by Elratauru »

You guys are forgetting that HLE on dolphin is not as stable as LLE is. And LLE on a small device like a Vita would kill it's poor cpu. I got an Ivy Bridge 3570k, and It's barely enough to run some games on LLE. The 3570k compared to the Vita's cpu is way more powerful, there's no doubt in that.

Also, the most important part in Dolphin is that it does uses more than 2 cores, but it runs different stuff, you can use a third core to run the audio DSP, while the GPU does all the GPU GC rendering. I know that we're talking about playing games at native resolution, which looks like **** on a PC but would look nice on the Vita's OLED...but it's still not enough. It needs a lot more power, the Vita is nowhere near a PS3 in terms of general processing and rendering power.
rog

Post by rog »

Elratauru wrote:You guys are forgetting that HLE on dolphin is not as stable as LLE is. And LLE on a small device like a Vita would kill it's poor cpu. I got an Ivy Bridge 3570k, and It's barely enough to run some games on LLE. The 3570k compared to the Vita's cpu is way more powerful, there's no doubt in that.

Also, the most important part in Dolphin is that it does uses more than 2 cores, but it runs different stuff, you can use a third core to run the audio DSP, while the GPU does all the GPU GC rendering. I know that we're talking about playing games at native resolution, which looks like **** on a PC but would look nice on the Vita's OLED...but it's still not enough. It needs a lot more power, the Vita is nowhere near a PS3 in terms of general processing and rendering power.
Eh, high level dsp emulation mostly works fine, especially with the recent AX rewrite. Obviously it's not perfect, but when using the much slower LLE isn't a realistic option, it's good enough.

Dolphin uses more than a dozen threads, though only two (or 3 for dsp lle) really do much of anything. The rest are mostly for insignificant things like audio output, gui, saving, or some just sleep until emulation ends. Considering you wouldn't be using hl dsp emulation on a vita, having more than 2 cores would make almost no difference.

You're right though, the vita is far too weak for there to be any real point in running dolphin on it. It could be done, but few games would even get 50% speed, even after the ARM JIT is finished, and most would get much less.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

With 2000mhz in the Vita and 512mb ram + 128 dedikeret ram, Vita wont be able to run Dolphin or maybe a new Dolphin-lite
:) :D :lol: ;)

We do not forGive! We do not forget!
United as One! Divided by Zero! Expect us!!!!!!

:arrow: Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici :twisted:
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

criticalmass wrote:I don't think will we ever see a GC emulator on the vita. I bet it would be like Daedalus if we did see one, which is never very satisfying. I love Daedalus, but almost no games run full speed with sound and a bunch don't even work. I can't even begin to list all the GC games I would want to play, if we did see a decent emulator.
This is because we are running in the psp emulator, not using the full Vita specs. Most games run fine with SuperMario64 being a prime example(full speed). Running emulator within emulator is of course going to cause problems. Once we get full Vita access, optimization and raw power can be controlled. I believe we could, but regardless it would be a long time before we see such thing.
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

Jd8531 wrote:
criticalmass wrote:I don't think will we ever see a GC emulator on the vita. I bet it would be like Daedalus if we did see one, which is never very satisfying. I love Daedalus, but almost no games run full speed with sound and a bunch don't even work. I can't even begin to list all the GC games I would want to play, if we did see a decent emulator.
This is because we are running in the psp emulator, not using the full Vita specs. Most games run fine with SuperMario64 being a prime example(full speed). Running emulator within emulator is of course going to cause problems. Once we get full Vita access, optimization and raw power can be controlled. I believe we could, but regardless it would be a long time before we see such thing.
You are entire right - Give me a time machine then, so i can fast travle to the future and can get my VitaCube now :)
:) :D :lol: ;)

We do not forGive! We do not forget!
United as One! Divided by Zero! Expect us!!!!!!

:arrow: Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici :twisted:

Return to “TN CEF”