Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

5.00 M33 + 1.50 kernel addon + prometheus

Unleash the full power of your PSP with a Custom Firmware.
Download and installation tutorial at http://wololo.net/wagic/cfw4dummies
stoneskull

5.00 M33 + 1.50 kernel addon + prometheus

Post by stoneskull »

so, i just installed the 1.50 kernel addon for 5.00m33 on my phat

i noticed in the readme that a couple files get removed from m33 to make room

i didn't pay much attention to it until afterwards when i went to install the prometheus modules (for newer games)

when the error occured in not being able to install prometheus
i tried reinstalling m33 and then prometheus worked but when installing the 1.50 addon it stops near the end with an error

anyway...

1 - does the 1.50 kernel addon really fill up flash0?

in the readme it mentions using DC7 to resize the flash1, flash2 and flash3 smaller to make flash0 bigger
i've never used DC7.. i'm guessing this is similar to partition resizing on a computer

2 - is DC7 still the best for resizing the flash partitions?

i've searched around the place for people using the 1.50 addon and problems installing prometheus with it and found one suggestion to install 5.50gen.. which i don't want to do

i also seem to be unable to install the 5.00 patch for IRShell

3 - does anyone know what i'm talking about / experienced this issue or am i just going mad?
Advertising
PSP 2000v1 6.60ME + PRO
Vita 1000WiFi 3.60 + HENkaku
OuterHeaven

Re: 5.00 M33 + 1.50 kernel addon + prometheus

Post by OuterHeaven »

It's been a long time since I've installed Prometheus or the 1.50 kernel, but here are a few suggestions:

Instead of installing the 1.50 kernel add-on, you could install Leda 0.2. Leda will run the majority of 1.50 kernel apps, it takes up very little flash space, it's compatible with both the PSP 1000 and 2000, it's compatible with iR Shell, and you don't even have to use the GAME150 folder with your apps. Also, you could install 1.50 as a Time Machine firmware, and boot into it if you ever needed to.

When installing the iR Shell patch, it checks to see if you have an untouched pspbtjnf.bin. If you have installed add-ons that have changed that file, it will refuse to install. So, it's best to install the iR Shell patch on a fresh 5.00 M33 firmware. Although, there is a way to install the patch manually. You copy the irspatch.prx into flash0:/kd/, and then edit your pspbtjnf.bin with one of the pspbtcnf editors. Put the irspatch entry between usb and mediaman. It would look like this:

$/kd/usb.prx VGA
$/kd/irspatch.prx VG
$/kd/mediaman.prx VGU

A few last tips: I would make a backup of your files before changing them. It's also a good idea to make some nand backups. A great program for that is nandTool 0.4 Final NEO. It can be run with pandora, too. (There's a nice trick to easily do that). I've never re-sized my flash partitions, so I don't have any program recommendations for that. Also, I don't use the Prometheus add-on anymore. When I want to play a newer iso, I patch the game itself. You can do this manually, or use a program like Iso Tool. It's also very easy to find pre-patched versions. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give you some options. :)
Advertising
stoneskull

Post by stoneskull »

you have good knowledge.
i really appreciate that.. and your post.
thank you. i will take my time with this.

i think i can do without prometheus for now, as like you said, i can patch anything if/when i need to with iso tool.

the fact that IRShell works with Leda is great news..
IRShell is one of the main reason for me wanting 1.50 ability
and for keeping my phat on low firmware

another main reason for 1.50 is, apparently, that it offers greater emulation especially for Mame
i can test that out first and see just how much better it is

time machine as well as flash partition resizing can wait til i have backed up, etc and making sure i have a working pandora battery and mms

i will look into and read up on the nandtool.
as well as learning more about DC (Despertar del Cementerio) which seems to have a current version of 8 rather than 7

thanks again.. every step i go will help me to teach later on to someone else
PSP 2000v1 6.60ME + PRO
OuterHeaven

Post by OuterHeaven »

You can run nandTool normally, or you can run it with pandora. Here's a method to run nandTool with pandora. There are a few different ways to do this, but I've used this way many times on multiple PSP's.

First, you need to have a magic memory stick. You can use DC8 to create one. Rename the nandTool folder to RECOVERY, and copy it into your PSP/GAME folder. Usually, you would hold the L trigger when turning on your PSP to boot into the pandora menu. Instead, hold both the L and R trigger, and it will boot into the Recovery Menu of DC8. To run nandTool, choose the option which says: Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP. Now you can backup or restore your nand, and it doesn't matter what firmware is installed on your PSP. It will even work with official firmware.

Leda 0.2 works great with iR Shell. When you first boot into it, launch iR Shell Configurator, and change a few settings:

Eboot 1.0 Format Support for fw1.5: Enable
__SCE__ Naming Support: Enable
Legacy Homebrew Support via DA's LEDA: Enable

Also, don't use the 1.50 version of iR Shell, just use the regular version. Everything works, including 1.50 apps, and even the infrared remote functions. You can find some iR Shell tips here. There's also some info about Despertar Del Cementerio here. I hope that helps. :)
itazchu

Post by itazchu »

OuterHeaven wrote:You can run nandTool normally, or you can run it with pandora. Here's a method to run nandTool with pandora. There are a few different ways to do this, but I've used this way many times on multiple PSP's.

First, you need to have a magic memory stick. You can use DC8 to create one. Rename the nandTool folder to RECOVERY, and copy it into your PSP/GAME folder. Usually, you would hold the L trigger when turning on your PSP to boot into the pandora menu. Instead, hold both the L and R trigger, and it will boot into the Recovery Menu of DC8. To run nandTool, choose the option which says: Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP. Now you can backup or restore your nand, and it doesn't matter what firmware is installed on your PSP. It will even work with official firmware.

Leda 0.2 works great with iR Shell. When you first boot into it, launch iR Shell Configurator, and change a few settings:

Eboot 1.0 Format Support for fw1.5: Enable
__SCE__ Naming Support: Enable
Legacy Homebrew Support via DA's LEDA: Enable

Also, don't use the 1.50 version of iR Shell, just use the regular version. Everything works, including 1.50 apps, and even the infrared remote functions. You can find some iR Shell tips here. There's also some info about Despertar Del Cementerio here. I hope that helps. :)
sorry to bug in. btw which is recommended to restore Nand, using hellcat's recovery flasher or using nandtool?
The Z
VIP

Post by The Z »

I would dump and restore the nand either via Nand Manager 0.5 or via the despertar del cementerio menus, ver 8 for dumps.
White PSV TV - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
White PSV 1000 - 32GB - 3.65 CFW
2x PSV 2000 - 32/64GB - 3.65 CFW
PSP Fat 1000 - TA-081 - 6.61 ME-2.3
PSP Slim 2000 - TA-085¹ - 6.61 ME-2.3
4x PSPgo & 1x PSP 3kº⁴ᶢ - 6.61 LME-2.3∞
OuterHeaven

Post by OuterHeaven »

itazchu wrote:which is recommended to restore Nand, using hellcat's recovery flasher or using nandtool?
I have always used nandTool for making and restoring nand backups. Hellcat's Recovery Flasher is an excellent program, but I'm not sure which method it uses to restore the nand. These programs either do a logical restore, or a physical restore. Here's an example of what that means:

Let's say you've made a backup 2 months ago, and now you want to restore it. Within those 2 months, your PSP's nand developed a bad block. NandTool will do a logical restore, which means that it will safely work around the new bad block. Programs that do a physical restore will try to write data to the bad block, and that could cause huge problems. Despertar Del Cementerio does a physical restore. Dark_AleX himself says to only use a physical restore as a last resort.
stoneskull

Post by stoneskull »

this is great...

you know, PSP Tool is really a fantastic little tool :)
so is hellcats recovery flasher

psp tool made me feel very confident in it by the way it told me to make sure i had the 500.PBP in root
and then told me to turn the custom theme off
even noticed my battery wasn't in service mode and asked me if i would like it to be..

so my fear of the making a pandora battery and magic memory stick are finally gone
it was so nice and easy with PSP Tool
i put on the DC8 (5.00 m33) mms option using that
and i did it to both my phat and my slim

so..

re: the slim -
it was interesting that i use an adaptor to put 2 microSD cards in that and it worked
(well, it took me a couple times before i realised i had to switch on and THEN hold down my L trigger rather than holding it before turning it on)
i use a 32GB + 8GB microSDs making 40 gigs of stuff on there and it was all fine.. no problems

re: the phat -
i was unable to boot the mms.. again because i think because of the flash0 being full from 1.50 addon
so i went back and used hellcat's to put on a fresh 5.00m33
(hellcat reminded me to put the psp back into 5.xx mode again - nice one.. i did test whether that was why the mms didn't boot.. but having it in 5.xx kernel i still couldn't boot it so i think it's definitely that the flash0 was full up)
so after the fresh install of m33 i was finally able to boot the mms
and i also then was able to use the IRShell patch

so far so good..

when i did boot up the mms, i did see in the format flash option that you can resize the nand flash partitions
but i left that for now
i went from confident to nervous again, heh..

so now i'll go about doing a nand dump..

what would happen if i did resize the flash partitions and then did a nand restore?
would the restore automatically resize the flash partitions back to normal? or what?
PSP 2000v1 6.60ME + PRO
OuterHeaven

Post by OuterHeaven »

stoneskull wrote:what would happen if i did resize the flash partitions and then did a nand restore?
would the restore automatically resize the flash partitions back to normal? or what?
That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing. I've never changed the partition sizes, so I don't know what would happen. It's not completely clear in the Read Me, but he does say this:

"Repartition lflash: similar in nature to writing a cleaned dump to NAND, will remap lflash so it will work even if bad blocks are present."

That sounds like writing a full dump to nand will repartition it correctly, but I'm not 100% sure.
qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 »

OuterHeaven wrote:
stoneskull wrote:what would happen if i did resize the flash partitions and then did a nand restore?
That's a good question, I was wondering the same thing. I've never changed the partition sizes, so I don't know what would happen. It's not completely clear in the Read Me, but he does say this:

"Repartition lflash: similar in nature to writing a cleaned dump to NAND, will remap lflash so it will work even if bad blocks are present."

That sounds like writing a full dump to nand will repartition it correctly, but I'm not 100% sure.
Yes, restoring the NAND will restore the flash partition to the state it was in when you dumped your NAND. I have already tested it myself on my Phat with PSP Tool DC8. (I meant to say DC8 >_<)
Last edited by qwikrazor87 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSP 2001 - TA-085 - 6.61 PRO-C2
PS Vita 3G - PCH-1101 - 3.65 HENkaku Ensō
Alcatel phone - Android 8.1.0
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Return to “Custom Firmwares (HEN/CFW/LCFW)”