Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Calling developers for help on native Vita loader...

VHBL (Vita Half Byte Loader) is an open source tool to load PSP homebrews on the Playstation Vita.
VHBL can be downloaded at http://wololo.net/vhbl
shades

Re: Calling developers for help on native Vita loader...

Post by shades »

yifanlu wrote:
shades wrote:You've gotten public exposure, for better or worse :/
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/08/vita- ... ate-retail

Joystiq does state that people won't be able to pirate through it, so props to them at least.
The gamespot one put this, death of PSP, and PSN hack in the same paragraph. Plus the header image was "hello world" running on a PSP from a long time ago.
Goodness. Well, I suppose truth in journalism has been a minority for a while now universally. You've got defenders in the comments, so at least reality will be present in some quantity.
Advertising
marjowikid

Post by marjowikid »

so i was reading the post on joystiq and i came across a comment some jack *** left

"hahdo

There's a reason the licensing fee exists though. A hack isnt going to lead to some awesome indie developed game on the Vita. This dude can say all he likes about feeling guilty if it leads to a retail game hack, the point is he released it anyway and it's not going to lead to enything cool developed for the vita that couldnt have been dont on a tablet or phone.

To this date I've never seena homebrew game native to the PSP or even the DS that pushed the system expecially hard and created something new and exciting that couldnt have been dont on a platform that already had open source development options. If I've missed something, please feel free to tell me!"

1st: the psv can do way more then most tablets and phones and if sony would take a page from anroid who knows what would be developed. games, apps, other [Image yay] programs that im sorry i dont want on my phone but wouldnt mind having on my vita.

2nd the psp hase [Image yay] loads of homebrews that are fricking amazing you can make your psp in to a remote for the tv or chat on irc as far as i can tell what the homebrew comunity has done for the psp is way more then sony ever wanted to do with it. i know some of you and even if *** face looks at this him to is probably thinking "i can download an app to make my phone or tablet a remote" wrong most phones or tablets need you to go out and buy some special to make it in to one and probably the same case for the psp but i can tell you this my brother with his psp can controll any tv in our house while the rest of us have to use the actual remote. look i know im rambling by now so imma make this part short and sweet

sony could make ligit men out of geo hots, wololo, and all the other "hackers" if they wanted to by making the vita open sorce like the android the vita would also sell more then any ds or any other **** out there i wanna hack my vita not to pirate games or anything like that i want what i was promised by sony i wanna play ps3 games on my vita through remote play i want apps i want to do all the **** they said we could do when they started talking about the vita and if i have to hack to get what i was prmoised then [Image yay] you sony imma do it

and sorry for spelling errors as i said before horrible speller thank you hooked on phonics
Advertising
Last edited by fate6 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: easy with the language >__<
jam

Post by jam »

i'm completely new in HBL development but i'm ready to lend a helping hand, i'll look into the code and see if i'm able to cross out a point or two on your TODO list :D, i just wanna know about any official documentation available about ARM programming, specifically on the toolchain you're using.
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

I'm happy to say that UVLoader is now in beta. That means the targeted goals below have been met
  • Load ELF to memory
  • Resolve NIDs
  • Portable (only depend on scelibkernel, which is loaded by all games no hard-coded memory addresses of functions), in theory it should be easy to port to another exploit and also in theory it should run on different firmware versions provided the exploit isn't patched
  • Verbose (lots of logging to see what the error is) and well documented (the next developer can take over easily when the time comes)
  • Small (~15KB) excluding the homebrew it's loading
I've listed here https://github.com/yifanlu/UVLoader/wiki what "needs" to be done before the loader is "complete", but they are of small concern. So I guess the question here is: when can I use it? Well, I've always said that the loader is just one more step in the journey to homebrew. Below is a list of what else needs to be done, but again, just a reminder that at any point, the exploit(s) used by UVL could be patched by sony either intentionally or not.
  • A working open toolchain/SDK that is able to generate ELFs of the proper format (with NID tables and function stubs and etc). This is being worked on.
  • Developers to take the SDK and UVL and either port PSP homebrew over (taking advantage of the better processor and more memory) or build new homebrews (e.x port the android N64 emulator since it's also ARM)
Now this may change at a future date and I don't have complete say over everything, but after the tools are stable, the plan is to slowly distribute them throughout month(s) first to the most trusted developers, then to a bit less trusted developers and so on until the general people get it. I feel this is the best plan because the tools are useless to normal people without homebrews to use.
shades

Post by shades »

yifanlu wrote:I'm happy to say that UVLoader is now in beta. That means the targeted goals below have been met
  • Load ELF to memory
  • Resolve NIDs
  • Portable (only depend on scelibkernel, which is loaded by all games no hard-coded memory addresses of functions), in theory it should be easy to port to another exploit and also in theory it should run on different firmware versions provided the exploit isn't patched
  • Verbose (lots of logging to see what the error is) and well documented (the next developer can take over easily when the time comes)
  • Small (~15KB) excluding the homebrew it's loading
I've listed here https://github.com/yifanlu/UVLoader/wiki what "needs" to be done before the loader is "complete", but they are of small concern. So I guess the question here is: when can I use it? Well, I've always said that the loader is just one more step in the journey to homebrew. Below is a list of what else needs to be done, but again, just a reminder that at any point, the exploit(s) used by UVL could be patched by sony either intentionally or not.
  • A working open toolchain/SDK that is able to generate ELFs of the proper format (with NID tables and function stubs and etc). This is being worked on.
  • Developers to take the SDK and UVL and either port PSP homebrew over (taking advantage of the better processor and more memory) or build new homebrews (e.x port the android N64 emulator since it's also ARM)
Now this may change at a future date and I don't have complete say over everything, but after the tools are stable, the plan is to slowly distribute them throughout month(s) first to the most trusted developers, then to a bit less trusted developers and so on until the general people get it. I feel this is the best plan because the tools are useless to normal people without homebrews to use.
Quick work! Very nice. Look forward to seeing what becomes of the project in the future!
I'm ESPECIALLY looking forward to the "port PSP homebrew over"; I can't even begin to imagine the glory that would be running things such as Daedelus and Quake 3 Arena on native Vita power. Er. . . however it works, anyway.

tl;dr: Great to hear, glad it's working out. :)
wololo
Site Admin

Post by wololo »

congrats. Progress appears to indeed be extremely fast, I must say I'm gladly surprised :)

One of my concerns is the "difficulty" you/we might have to build a solid dev community around this if the exploit it relies on is easily patched. I know this is also why you made it portable, but there's always the "risk" no other exploits are found after yours.

Another question (knowing that I haven't looked at your code yet) is what would be the benefits of this over the regular PSM? One answer is that we won't need to go through Sony, so emulators now become a possibility, but is that it (that's already an awesome feature, I just want to understand if I'm missing other important differences) ?
If you need US PSN Codes, this technique is what I recommend.

Looking for guest bloggers and news hunters here at wololo.net, PM me!
trecenters

Post by trecenters »

wololo wrote:, but there's always the "risk" no other exploits are found after yours.

c'mon :roll: lol

I can't believe the guy that exploited the Vita before it was thought of just said that. :P
-Tre
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

What wololo says is absolutely true. I think more time should be spent to guaranteeing its safety, who knows this could be the one and only.
Getting devs to make new homebrew might be a problem, i havent seen a peak in interest at all but If homebrew can match the graphics of that video we saw with the rotating box then i think getting a good amount of developers shouldn't be a problem. Alot of the programmers out there like the guys behind left 4 quake are in serious need of art, level and game designers which is up my alley.
GonnaGetPSVita

Post by GonnaGetPSVita »

oooh yeah i'm itching to program some HB :)
PSM too buggy for me -_-
- PSVita 3G / 32GB
- PSVita Wifi / 64GB
- Wacom Cintiq 13HD
- AKG K701
wth
HBL Developer

Post by wth »

wololo wrote:Another question (knowing that I haven't looked at your code yet) is what would be the benefits of this over the regular PSM? One answer is that we won't need to go through Sony, so emulators now become a possibility, but is that it (that's already an awesome feature, I just want to understand if I'm missing other important differences) ?
maybe just more power I guess yeah ?
maybe also usb possibilities or such

Return to “Vita Half Byte Loader”