Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Should i update to 1.80?

VHBL (Vita Half Byte Loader) is an open source tool to load PSP homebrews on the Playstation Vita.
VHBL can be downloaded at http://wololo.net/vhbl
Warrzz96

Should i update to 1.80?

Post by Warrzz96 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:49 am

im new to this so...should i update to 1.80? or should i wait, i just dont want to screw anything up as i wait for the ninja release
Advertising

Cheesethief

Re: Should i update to 1.80?

Post by Cheesethief » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:59 am

If you don't have a previous VHBL then there is no reason whatsoever not to update.
Advertising
Raspberry Pi Model B Rev. 2 Raspbian Wheezy Powered Headless Server
PS3 CECHP01 Habib Cobra 4.65 v1.00
PS Vita PCH1001 3.18 TN-V10 via Gladiator Begins
Desktop Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Laptop Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

TelcoLou

Post by TelcoLou » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:27 am

Well, I HAD VHBL running and I gave it up for PS1 support, so even if this latest VHBL doesn't work, I'm ok with my decision (LOVE PS1 games!), so for me it's worth it :D
TelcoLou ..... Playing Video Games since 1977, and still going strong!

KrewOwns

Post by KrewOwns » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Warrzz96 wrote:im new to this so...should i update to 1.80? or should i wait, i just dont want to screw anything up as i wait for the ninja release
1.80 blocks VHBL, so I say don't update unless you absolutely want the new features.

Shokashi

Post by Shokashi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:55 pm

this is a right pain in the you know what, i am also at a stand point to update or wait longer for Another vhbl to work on 1.80

what do i do it istoo much to ponder on, some one help me

krayziehustler

Post by krayziehustler » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:35 pm

i'm bite the bullet and update....either way retro gaming will be on Vita

7se7en

Post by 7se7en » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:54 pm

KrewOwns wrote:
Warrzz96 wrote:im new to this so...should i update to 1.80? or should i wait, i just dont want to screw anything up as i wait for the ninja release
1.80 blocks VHBL, so I say don't update unless you absolutely want the new features.
Yeah but the update is basically required if you want to connect to your PC (which is required to get the VHBL save...)
So yeah, update. They are working on finding a way to bypass this new CMA anyway

mlc

Post by mlc » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 pm

7se7en wrote:
KrewOwns wrote:
Yeah but the update is basically required if you want to connect to your PC (which is required to get the VHBL save...)
So yeah, update. They are working on finding a way to bypass this new CMA anyway
I agree with this. While I already updated (and I have to kick myself a bit because Sound Shapes is awesome but will surely get old faster than all my psp mode emus), I think that this road block is just going to get people more motivated at breaking this system open. This doesn't necessarily mean in wololo's relatively piracy-free way, either, because I think that the more difficulties Sony puts upon its users, the more likely people are to get fed up with them.

There is a way to fully hack the Vita, even if it's a hardware hack, just like every other device like this ever invented. I mean it would have been nice to be on 1.67 still on the off chance that a hack will only be usable on that, but all new games will probably require 1.80 (or at the very least 1.69) from this point onward, so there is no reason to linger on the older firmware.

Also, if PSN access requires 1.80, it's highly unlikely that any large number of users will give up online play, DLC, and new games just to use PSP homebrew that's less reliable than it was a couple years ago when we played it on our PSPs ;p

Finally, I've read a bit about people essentially having all their saved data from different region accounts (on one memorycard) rendered inaccessible and thus effectively destroyed due to updating on a different account without having that data first backed up on a second memory card, and I'm thinking that this may encourage Sony to make some modifications to CMA to avoid harming early adopters by allowing the transfer of saved data linked to other accounts. These modifications might let us find a new path to transfer files to the Vita. But of course Sony is the company that eliminated the Linux feature of the PS3, so it's entirely possible that they don't care about *** off their most dedicated consumers and will just pretend that no one has been harmed in this update.

The biggest issue with seeing this system get fully hacked is that the internet & law is so much more repressive than it was in the recent past, so someone like geohot would need to have a pretty secure living arrangement and anonymity to release anything really serious. I'm (sadly) an American, but even in America with our wonderful PR (haha =( ) people are beginning to realize that the law is less for protection of the weak and more of a tool for the powerful or rich, so even a "release" that was simply an explanation of how to hack your console on your own without any actual illegal element (i.e. get the info from this part of your PSV, look here for this, combine with this stuff we wrote...) would probably lead to a lawsuit in many countries. The US judiciary is largely corrupted, and I would imagine the same is true in most other countries, so our best bet is a "genius" in a safe spot. Or of course another semi-hack like VHBL which people can safely release without having to worry that some ***** will bring an army of litigators down upon them.

And for all the people that think piracy harms a system... everyone who loves games and understands the state of society and law can see clearly that piracy doesn't kill systems. Even the Dreamcast which was excellent died due to bad market conditions, not the super easy piracy from the time; although piracy for profit does presumably do harm in many regions. I hack anything I have that can be hacked, but as long as the hack allows the usage of regular media, I buy all the best games. The vast majority of pirates are either pirating things they would never have bought, or pirating because they quite literally could not have afforded to buy in the first place. Sony has every right to lock down their technology, but they don't have any right to prevent people from talking about how to disassemble or modify it. If Sony completely locks out VHBL, which is specifically designed to not damage their market, they will honestly deserve whatever hacks come their way.

rafael707

Post by rafael707 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:14 pm

i just updated from 1.61, lost my vhbl for right now, but i know ill get it back real soon :D
Add me, I got a ps4 ;)

IRC
#pspcommunity
#vitadev

PS4/PS VITA IGN: raff_da_don

Coldbird
Guru

Post by Coldbird » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Dont worry guys...

A little news report.

1.80 = very vhbl / cfw capable.

The new PSX support sony added is in fact a badly hacked together version of the PSP one... our team works on getting it running already...

It's not as much of a roadblock as you guys think.

Updating to it is safe. Its just as exploitable as 1.69(1/2).
PSP N-1000 ✔ / 6.20 PRO NIGHTLY ✔ / PRO ONLINE ✔

Return to “Vita Half Byte Loader”