Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

What will this generation allow to happen in the scene?

zoraktorok

What will this generation allow to happen in the scene?

Post by zoraktorok »

Since obviously no homebrew is available for the ps4, my question is when the gates are opened, what do you guys expect to happen? Obviously, emulator support should widen up with the extra power... but with a pc architecture at its core, developers will have a milder learning curve. Could there be an actual retail game to hit shelves that starts off as an illegally developed title? That is what I would like to see since I love irony... This could be the last chance for that to happen considering next generation could be all streaming services powered by micro processing through mutiple servers. Thoughts?
Advertising
fate6
Big Beholder

Re: What will this generation allow to happen in the scene?

Post by fate6 »

It's only illegal if its made with any form of leaked SDK which iirc there is none for the PS4
You also might want to look up what "irony" means
Advertising
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
zoraktorok

Post by zoraktorok »

Okay...
1) Illegal to run on consumer consoles
2) ironic because of consumer popularity causes support for a legit version
3) Just as when you informed me there are no ps3 roms (and was wrong) whydo you feel the need to argue with me?
CPUzX

Post by CPUzX »

zoraktorok wrote:Okay...
1) Illegal to run on consumer consoles
2) ironic because of consumer popularity causes support for a legit version
3) Just as when you informed me there are no ps3 roms (and was wrong) whydo you feel the need to argue with me?
I think I'd have to agree with you there.
But I always thought that every game ever released on a console has to go through a licencing system, which gets scanned on a computer & bugs/exploits and bad programming gets corrected. Even if it is on a disc. It would be ironic if a Sony dev decided to slip a critical native bug through a PSV or a PS4 game, and then write up about it online exposing it; considering they could loose their job & ruin their reputation.
zoraktorok

Post by zoraktorok »

CPUzX wrote:
zoraktorok wrote:
I think I'd have to agree with you there.
But I always thought that every game ever released on a console has to go through a licencing system, which gets scanned on a computer & bugs/exploits and bad programming gets corrected. Even if it is on a disc. It would be ironic if a Sony dev decided to slip a critical native bug through a PSV or a PS4 game, and then write up about it online exposing it; considering they could loose their job & ruin their reputation.
Homebrew is simply put, unlicensed software. Running it requires you to do something illegal.... Cfw , signing it with keys that sony provides or shoving an excutable (crudly said) through a flaw as you spoke of. It isnt sony that would expose it though... Hackers look for these and sony patches them when they are public and found usefull.

--edit-- Those flaws are accidental and though they are scrutinized through various tools, those tools have flaws as well. That is where a LOT of searching time comes to hackers.... Well, most are accidental, Id say atleast one person had a bad day in the testing department :->
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

zoraktorok wrote: Homebrew is simply put, unlicensed software. Running it requires you to do something illegal.... Cfw , signing it with keys that sony provides or shoving an excutable (crudly said) through a flaw as you spoke of. It isnt sony that would expose it though... Hackers look for these and sony patches them when they are public and found usefull.
Incorrect, VHBL allows to run homebrew and is not illegal as it doesn't break any form of DRM.

Also, I doubt the PS4 scene will bring anything to the table, home console scenes are always about piracy, look at the PS3, it has just as many emulators, if not less, as the PS2, THE FREAKING PS2!
jd20dog

Post by jd20dog »

sony has no reason to patch things unless they need to,they have plenty of work to do otherwise, and patches are easy to release with the ps4 being an online social media platform and requiring at least some form of broadband connection at some point or another for many reasons

as for the internal workings of the ps4's os, it still requires some form of sdk and wont come with any easy holes this time even if its like a pc
as far as what its capable of, hardware wise, dream cast would be emulatible within reason, aswell as the other 6th gen consoles

as for the ps3 roms?are you referring to flash dumps of the os? as the ps3 uses disk based gaming, the games would be iso's, roms are flash dumps from cartage's like snes and vita,3ds
and digital games are package format

@snake, your pal 60gb ps3 has a ps2 in it....or at-least half of one, and the interesting things it can be made to do are also better then the original ps2, and the 1080p support that came with the physical hardware and the easy bypass of most of the security is just a joke, so dont count it out yet

piracy will always be a part of console hacking, it is about the easiest profitable method of financing most hacking, look at the cobra dogle and such, but many console scenes let the drama lock them down, though piracy has never really hurt any consoles as-far as sales or game development, most pirates are poor and wouldn't buy the games anyway even with the chance
the dreamcast was scr..ed from the start by bad game regulations on the Saturn in several markets and horrible treatment toward game development companies like working designs, look up magical knights rayearth for Saturn in the us.

virtual boy by Nintendo was ***(though innovative) and a health hazard and pushed out by political groups over damaging children's eyes.
dammit Nintendo why you go and hurt the little children, if you do it again, you 150+year old company will be destroyed legally

as for bugs in games, this usually consist of an exploit of how the system runs parts of the game like hijacking savedata routines to run hbl or tnv, or a glitch in the games engine like linux in the original xbox for games like slpinter cell and james bond games. witch can all be fixed with patches now,
or in the case of the psp, the original ofw 1.00/1.50 doesn't have a security system in place and ran unsigned code,(yes,dark alex started with a psp with ofw 1.5 and decrypted the next fw with an unsigned hombrew...everything else fallowed suit.)
most of these methods are now monitored to block such issues, or don't work on different hardware or made much more complex to avoid such easy access

sony understands how backward compatibility is the hole in current gen consoles like vita, wii u, and 3ds and is trying to weed it out with methods like psn only bc games and programs like PlayStation now were you don't have a physical or digital copy of a game locally unless absolutely necessary,

hmmm :? i dont know why i wanted to type this big load of ***

any thing i left out or am completely wrong about? lets start the "Monday Night Debate!!" Yall!!! lol
and eating thrifty maid noodles because of it......seriously!?! off brand noodles.....ouch i got burned by tech support.....ouch........
zoraktorok

Post by zoraktorok »

Okay, my bad, wrong on some things... I understand that vhbl is not illegal in itself... but it is in a not so white area... atleast if you have ever signed up for psn. Using it breaks their terms and continuing to use psn is illegal... The rom/iso thing is where I draw my own conclusion. Yes the copy is an iso, I spoke of it as a rom because I use to be in the emulator scene heavily and discs are read only when I receive them. Not having a burner for blu ray, it is a rom in my opinion. Im wrong <----- see that? wrong :-> ..... but stuborn as heck in my old age.
Cargy6

Post by Cargy6 »

Nice post!
TheVernoxius

Post by TheVernoxius »

I cant wait for a PS4 VHBL!

Return to “Homebrew”