Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Full SNES 3DS Injection guide with Banners and unique IDs!

Post here your guides, tips, how-to, etc...
fugelmir

Full SNES 3DS Injection guide with Banners and unique IDs!

Post by fugelmir »

This information and these programs come largely from people on gbatemp who managed to get this working through time consuming trial and error. Many thanks to FONZD , Raug0, Asia81 and everyone else on GBATEMP who put a lot of time into figuring this out! Praise be to them!

UPDATE: as Squee666 pointed out on GBAtemp, it's probably better to use GIMP or paint.net to edit the screen files. They are not actually 128,64,32 pixels, but slightly smaller. My tutorial will still work, but there will be a couple rows of the image clipped from the bottom. So if you want a perfect image, you'll have to edit the transparencies for the screen(128,64,32).

You need:
-a NEW 3DS (modded with CFW or Gateway)
-a way to transfer files between the 3ds (ftp/card reader)
- hex editing software if you want a unique id on your game (so that there is no conflict installing 2 games)
-This Compressed pack of tools - https://mega.nz/#!dpQhEahL!Cbo44BYL85y- ... YAxOR4UsVs
-MSPAINT - And the knowledge of how to resize, crop and otherwise modify images to your liking
-A snes game you'd like to create banners for

This tutorial is assuming you have already injected your game into the data.bin. I made a tutorial on how to do that here: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=45583

Notes: 3ds snes emulation is very good. But not all games are supported (yet). Before making banners it's probably a good idea to insert the game using my injection guide and testing it out first. If you find yourself in need of help, don't hesitate to send me a private message.

Tutorial Start

1. Extract the contents of the compressed tools pack to a folder on your desktop.

2. We're gonna get image editing out of the way first. If you want a complete set of custom images, you need to create all of the images below:

The filenames of the images are not important but I'd recommend naming them their dimensions so you know where to insert them

Bottom Screen icon: is the icon that you click on or select with the cursor on your 3ds bottom screen to launch it (48x48 pixels)

Boxshot Rotated left: Okay this is the hardest thing to explain. Notice how the arrow is pointing to that big blocky image? You need to cut and paste the boxshot into the 3d model image

What I did was download the boxart, then resize it down to 44x23, then flip it to the left. Then I just copy and pasted it into the 3d model.

Common 1 128x128
Common 1_2 64x64
Common 1_3 32x32

These 3 are the images that shows on the tv screen for the game

USA_EN2 256x64 This is the runner that displays virtual console and the company name and year of publication. NOTE: This image can only be in black and white (greyscale) any colours will be removed upon importing.

USA_EN3 256x256 This is what threw me for the loop. It's a flat png of a 3d modelled super nintendo system. You just need to paste the correctly sized png into the appropriate spot.
Here is a copy of the template for you to use:

How it looks in Action:

3. The hard part is over, it's smooth sailing from here. Open Ba-Gui-nnertool.exe

i) Click SMDH from the tabs at the top then Click Browse and select your 48x48 pixel image

ii) Fill in the boxes with whatever you want but MAKE SURE CREATE ICON IS TICKED.

iii) Select Begin and your icon will be generated

iv) Click SMDH Folder icon on the bottom left which will open a window. From that location enter the folder called _output and you'll see a file called: Icon.icn

v) Rename that file to icon.bin and put it into a folder on your desktop with your game's name (IE Illusion of Gaia in our case)

4. We're almost done!

Navigate to the folder where you've extracted those files. I want you to make note of this folder:
\bannertool\ba-GUI-nnertool\Projects\Banner\SNES

It looks daunting! But there are only 2 files we need to modify!

Okay, so we need Ba-gui-nnertool again. Open it again but this time select Tool Box tab

Then select Ohana 3ds

5. Once Ohana is open Select Textures on the left side of the screen, then Open:

ba-GUI-nnertool\Projects\Banner\SNES\banner0.mcdl

Now on the left you'll see:

COMMON1 ---->import 128x128
COMMON1_2 -----> import 64x64
COMMN1_3 ------> import 32x32
COMMON5 ------> ignore

Ignore common 5, but select each of the others and click import.
Once you have imported them successfully make sure you SAVE the changes!

6. Next we need to open another folder in that directory. Open banner10.bcmdl

Now, on the left we'll see:

USA_EN2 -----------> import 256x64 px runner
USA_EN3 ----------> import 256x256 png (the one you edited to include the boxshot)
USA_EN6 ----------> Ignore

Again, once you're done importing these 2, click SAVE.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

So you see how we're not touching banner1-9 or 11-13? That's because those aren't our region.
Banner10.bcmdl is north america. If you are not from North America, Make sure you import the images to your region's banner. Here is the list:

banner1.bcmdl = English ~ EUR_EN
banner2.bcmdl = French ~ EUR_FR
banner3.bcmdl = German ~ EUR_GE
banner4.bcmdl = Italian ~ EUR_IT
banner5.bcmdl = Spanish ~ EUR_SP
banner6.bcmdl = Dutch ~ EUR_DU
banner7.bcmdl = Portuguese ~ EUR_PO
banner8.bcmdl = Russian ~ EUR_RU
banner9.bcmdl = Japanese ~ JPN_JP
banner10.bcmdl = English ~ USA_EN
banner11.bcmdl = French ~ USA_FR
banner12.bcmdl = Spanish ~ USA_SP
banner13.bcmdl = Portuguese ~ USA_PO

You could also copy banner10.mcdl and replace all others with that one.

7. It's a breeze from here. Open Ba-GUI-nnertool and this time in the Create Banner section, choose browse for our banner0.bcmdl file we made. It should be in:

ba-GUI-nnertool\Projects\Banner\SNES\banner0.bcmdl

Select Begin and it should only take a second

8. At the bottom left of ba-GUI-nnertool, there is a Banner Folder Icon. Click that and it will open a folder. Inside click the _output folder.

You should see a file called banner.bnr rename it banner.bin and place it in the folder where we put icon.bin earlier.

Congratulations! You just Created your first banner!

How to insert banners into games:

So once you've extracted your cia using the hackpack method in my previous tutorial, you'll have a number of folders.

Copy and replace the old banner.bin and icon.bin with the custom ones we've just created.

OPTIONAL: to change the unique ID, check out my quick guide here:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=45625

Then you'd simply use the .3ds builder to build a 3ds file.

OPTIONAL: Convert the .3ds to .cia by launching the converter included in the compressed tools pack

Good luck!
Advertising
Last edited by fugelmir on Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 17 times in total.
MrSandmann

Re: Full 3DS Injection guide with Banners and unique!

Post by MrSandmann »

Hey , how do I get an icon in the DecryptedExHeader.bin?
Advertising
fugelmir

Post by fugelmir »

An icon in decrypted exheader?

Like the icon for the bottom screen on the 3ds?
abadonekiz

Post by abadonekiz »

Thank you for this ameazing tutorial, can you tell me or some one how to change the id?? I has some problem when i try install two or more games
fugelmir

Post by fugelmir »

abadonekiz wrote:Thank you for this ameazing tutorial, can you tell me or some one how to change the id?? I has some problem when i try install two or more games
Added a Unique ID guide. It's pretty easy!

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=45625
parkesto

Re: Full 3DS Injection guide with Banners and unique IDs!

Post by parkesto »

Hey,

Stupid question, in GIMP/MSPAINT/Photoshop/Online I cannot for the life of me get the 23x44 image to be anything but a blurry mess. I am using insanely high res photos of the box art (1580x2100) but it always comes out as a garbled mess. Any input would be appreciated!
fugelmir

Post by fugelmir »

parkesto wrote:Hey,

Stupid question, in GIMP/MSPAINT/Photoshop/Online I cannot for the life of me get the 23x44 image to be anything but a blurry mess. I am using insanely high res photos of the box art (1580x2100) but it always comes out as a garbled mess. Any input would be appreciated!
I probably shouldn't have used Illusion of Gaia as an example as the boxart looks magnificent when shrunk to those dimensions. Most boxart looks terrible.

Take Chrono Trigger for instance: Image

It's barely a semblance of the original. But it gets the job done.

One thing you could do is remove the black bar from the right side of the cart and enlarge the picture slightly to save some pixels.
parkesto

Post by parkesto »

Thanks so much, you are right, this looks nothing like it does but it works. I will just trudge on!
parkesto

Post by parkesto »

EDIT: Got it, dunno what I did wrong but I started over and it worked. Thanks!

Ok, followed the instructions to a T but it's still showing up as Megaman 7 even tho I imported/saved and double checked Ohana had the right textures and imported/saved etc. I overwrote the banner.bin, and icon.bin. Could it be that I use RxTools and it possible doesn't recognize the region? Should I try importing to different banners?

http://i.imgur.com/UINYsbk.png
http://i.imgur.com/LlmXGOl.png
fugelmir

Post by fugelmir »

Try editing your banner.cgfx as well with Ohana.

Are you clicking Save after you import all the images?

Return to “Tutorials”