Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post here your guides, tips, How-to, etc...
D-ecks
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by D-ecks » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Desktop Pager (Workspace Selector) removed, but can be easily restored by right-clicking and selecting Add/Remove Panel Items.
Advertising

User avatar
PixelButts
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 am

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by PixelButts » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:26 am

D-ecks wrote:Desktop Pager (Workspace Selector) removed, but can be easily restored by right-clicking and selecting Add/Remove Panel Items.
I meant Boxes/Virtualbox

Workspaces is irrelevant to me.
Advertising

D-ecks
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by D-ecks » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:45 am

PixelButts wrote:
D-ecks wrote:Desktop Pager (Workspace Selector) removed, but can be easily restored by right-clicking and selecting Add/Remove Panel Items.
I meant Boxes/Virtualbox

Workspaces is irrelevant to me.
You can reinstall it.
Type In terminal

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install gnome-boxes

User avatar
PixelButts
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 am

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by PixelButts » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:26 pm

D-ecks wrote:
PixelButts wrote:
D-ecks wrote:Desktop Pager (Workspace Selector) removed, but can be easily restored by right-clicking and selecting Add/Remove Panel Items.
I meant Boxes/Virtualbox

Workspaces is irrelevant to me.
You can reinstall it.
Type In terminal

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install gnome-boxes
Kept giving an error regarding some module. Virtualbox and Boxes gave issues.
Upon booting into it again it also failed to boot the system at all after adding Virtualbox.

I'll try and grab the specific error it gave soon. (I don't like fedora. That's just me.)

Also unrelated but Archey seems to detect -11GB of RAM
PS4 Specs.png
PS4 Specs.png (37.54 KiB) Viewed 2866 times

User avatar
VitaGenic
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:59 am
Location: Thailand

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by VitaGenic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:44 am

Hi (again) D-ecks. I've got a question you might be able to help me with.

Recently I purchased a **legit** Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB USB flash drive to expand my storage space on my PS4 linux setup.

Previously I was using a Lexar 64 GB USB flash drive and Fedora was lighting fast. But since I have upgraded to the 512GB usb flash drive using a fresh installation of your Linux image, it's ridiculously slow and laggy, basically completely unusable.

I'm such a newbie to Linux, but my idea at the moment to fix this would be to perhaps partition the the 512 GB flash drive so the Operating System has dedicated 64 GB and the remainder of the space be partitioned into separate drive for my personal storage etc. etc.

Also, would the cluster size of the new flash drive be a problem? In the tutorial Rufus says 4kb cluster size, but my 512 GB drives' smallest cluster size is 8kb and when i flashed the image to it, it defaulted to 32kb and i couldn't change it.

Sorry for the noob questions :( I hope somebody can help me out.

Thanks a lot :)
PS Vita 3G 16gb 3.18 Talkman Travel Exploit
PS3 CECHA01 60gb Cobra USB
3DS XL White 4.4 Gateway 128gb SD

User avatar
PixelButts
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 am

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by PixelButts » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:16 am

VitaGenic wrote:Recently I purchased a **legit** Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB USB flash drive to expand my storage space on my PS4 linux setup.
First of all jesus christ at that point just buy a big SSD. And because a flash drive has so many read/write cycles I suggest you use an external HDD (yes HDD not SSD unless you REALLY want that speed increase) because it will last longer. That and it has more disposable space.

Be sure you're using a USB 3.0 drive because the speed is very very important. I tried using a 2.0 drive and it's just not going to happen no matter what you do. If for some reason you're not sure your device is 2.0 or 3.0 look at the part that goes into the USB port. If the little plastic with the contacts is blue, its 3.0 (some coloured devices are 2.0 and have blue so do note that). If its black, white, grey, or some other colour then it's likely 2.0.

If you want an idea of speed, I did an experiment with the PS4 image in this thread and here's how well it turned out. In it I'm using a launch day 60gb PS3 hdd (formatted accordingly) with a USB 3.0 sata adapter. The speed is very vital if you ask me. Performance wise you wont get too much difference unless it's a different game.

Also in regards to the Boxes and VM stuff, here's the issue I had run into prior.
game Screenshot 2016-08-25 21-58-15.png
game Screenshot 2016-08-25 21-58-15.png (105.58 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

D-ecks
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by D-ecks » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:14 pm

VitaGenic wrote:Hi (again) D-ecks. I've got a question you might be able to help me with.

Recently I purchased a **legit** Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB USB flash drive to expand my storage space on my PS4 linux setup.

Previously I was using a Lexar 64 GB USB flash drive and Fedora was lighting fast. But since I have upgraded to the 512GB usb flash drive using a fresh installation of your Linux image, it's ridiculously slow and laggy, basically completely unusable.
The solution may be ridiculously simple: plug your flash drive into another usb-port. It works for me with my usb 3.0 sandisk. Only in one port (right) it works stable and fast.
VitaGenic wrote: I'm such a newbie to Linux, but my idea at the moment to fix this would be to perhaps partition the the 512 GB flash drive so the Operating System has dedicated 64 GB and the remainder of the space be partitioned into separate drive for my personal storage etc. etc.

Also, would the cluster size of the new flash drive be a problem? In the tutorial Rufus says 4kb cluster size, but my 512 GB drives' smallest cluster size is 8kb and when i flashed the image to it, it defaulted to 32kb and i couldn't change it.

Sorry for the noob questions :( I hope somebody can help me out.

Thanks a lot :)
Cluster size does not seems to be a problem.
You should try repartition your disk with gparted, if solution above doesn't help.

D-ecks
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by D-ecks » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:40 pm

PixelButts wrote:
D-ecks wrote: You can reinstall it.
Type In terminal

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install gnome-boxes
Kept giving an error regarding some module. Virtualbox and Boxes gave issues.
Upon booting into it again it also failed to boot the system at all after adding Virtualbox.

I'll try and grab the specific error it gave soon. (I don't like fedora. That's just me.)

Also unrelated but Archey seems to detect -11GB of RAM
PS4 Specs.png
VMs may not work properly with PS4 unified memory and CPU virtualization/supervisor mode.

You can try to disable all AMD-V or SVM related options in config files, then run VM again.

Without virtualization, VMs will work extremely slow.

!nsane
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:17 am

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by !nsane » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:32 am

Hello @D-ecks marcan made new updates will they be added in the new version. You are going to update.

User avatar
cathrinemey
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 am

Re: PS4 Linux. Steam + Emulators + office out of the box

Post by cathrinemey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 am

I got it working too. You need to use WinRAR to extract, not 7zip, as 7zip will give you the CRC error. However, the extracted size will be 3.46.

Post Reply

Return to “Tutorials”