Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Text Tutorial] Installing homebrew with PSP Filer

Post here your guides, tips, how-to, etc...
qwikrazor87
Guru

[Text Tutorial] Installing homebrew with PSP Filer

Post by qwikrazor87 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:58 am

Prerequisites for this tutorial
I highly recommend removing CMA/OpenCMA and installing QCMA, it is not mandatory, but in my opinion QCMA offers a better experience once you get the hang of it, one of the benefits of QCMA is that it allows you to transfer subfolders inside the PSP game saves for transferring, while CMA/OpenCMA ignores the subfolders.
Whatever your OS is, make sure that file extensions are not hidden. To disable hiding extensions on your OS please research it online, by doing this you'll avoid one issue of not being able to transfer files to your Vita (when transferring files at root of PSP game save folder), since the files at the save root must follow the 8.3 filename rule.
Here is the thread for QMCA.
viewtopic.php?t=34677
PSP Filer will also be used, which is a file manager, you can find a link for it below.

Come on man, let me install my homebrew and games!
[spoiler]Whoa! Calm down there buddy, let's see if I can help you out.
For this tutorial, I will only be providing instructions for the method I use, QCMA + PSP Filer.
There are a couple ways we can do the install, either by zipping up the homebrew, or transferring it as is without zipping it up, but this method will only work using QCMA.
Using your favorite ZIP/RAR manager on your PC, pack the folder of your homebrew, an example can be found with the homebrew linked below, and we'll name it as INSTALL.ZIP.
So you should have it zipped up like this,
  • INSTALL.ZIP/MyFavoriteHomebrew/EBOOT.PBP
It does not need to be named INSTALL.ZIP, but if transferring at root of save, make sure that it follows the 8.3 rule.
Now place the INSTALL.ZIP in any random PSP game save (PS1 saves can be used too), a link can be found below for a PSP game save. Make sure that you have placed this save in the correct folder on your PC, you can do this by clicking on the QCMA icon, then go to Settings, click on browse beside Applications / Backups. In this folder go into PSAVEDATA, then go into the folder with a junk name, this is where the saves should be placed. Now refresh database and transfer it to your Vita using Content Manager, make sure to do PC -> PS Vita System.
For this next step, we will need to use PSP Filer, but how do we use it? Depending on what you are running, you will need to name the PSP Filer EBOOT.PBP accordingly.
  • VHBL: EBOOT.PBP
    ARK: VBOOT.PBP or VBOOTPBP.BIN
    TN-V: RECOVERY.PBP (for TN-V you will need to launch this from the recovery menu, to get there, hold R before launching TN-V exploit)
Once you figure out which file name you need, rename PSP Filer's EBOOT.PBP to that name.
Backup original menu eboot somewhere else, then place PSP Filer eboot as the menu in your exploit save.
Now run the exploit and you should boot into PSP Filer directly (if using TN-V, launch from recovery menu, not sure if it'll work in TN-X).
If you want, you can look around in PSP Filer and get yourself acquainted with all the text-based gizmos and gadgetry it has to offer.
Use Up and Down on the d-pad to navigate the files, use Circle to open/close directories and ZIP/RAR files, and use R trigger to sort the directories that you have selected.
The saves transferred to Vita from PC end up in ms0:/PSP/SAVEDATA/. If everything went correctly, navigate to your save in that folder, inside there you should find your INSTALL.ZIP.
Once you have the zip opened, place the cursor on the folder inside, press X, a menu should pop up, press Circle, the file system should pop up in another menu, navigate to /PSP/VHBL/, if the VHBL folder does not exist there, while having /PSP/ selected, press the L trigger and make a new folder named VHBL. Make sure that the VHBL folder is selected, and not the folders within. Press Triangle now to copy the homebrew folder and wait for the process to finish then exit Filer or keep lollygagging around if you want.
If you are on firmware 3.36 or below, instead of copying to /PSP/VHBL/, you can copy into /PSP/GAME/, it is not possible to mess with folders now on 3.5X+ since it has been patched.
Restore the original menu eboot to your exploit save, and transfer to Vita. Run your exploit, and check if your newly installed homebrew shows up, if so, Bravo! If not, then reread to see if you have not missed anything or made mistakes.
Now, for the other method without zipping it up, simply place the folder of your homebrew and it's contents into the save that you want to transfer with, remember, this only works for QCMA.
So for example if you want to transfer PSP Filer, it should be at this path on PC:
  • ~/PS Vita/PSAVEDATA/(junk)/NPUH10091/PSP Filer/EBOOT.PBP
Remember, the game save used for transfer does not matter, any game save should do fine, PSP or PS1.
Once you have it transferred, go to your save in ms0:/PSP/SAVEDATA/ and use PSP Filer to copy your homebrew folder where you wish, follow the same steps as above but without the zipping process.
For ISO/CSO games, you do not need to zip these up, simply place them in a subfolder of your save and copy them as is, then you can use Filer to copy these to ms0:/ISO/, if it does not exist, then create it. Remember ISO/CSO games do not work in VHBL.
If you have done everything correctly then please check the link below:
the link below
Hey, take it easy on me, it's my first tutorial. :P[/spoiler]

FAQ
[spoiler]I attempted to transfer a save using QCMA but I cannot see it in Content Manager on the Vita.
It is required for you to manually refresh the database whenever you add new files, otherwise the Vita will not see the changes, to do this, click on the QCMA icon in the tray on your desktop, then click on Refresh database.
If that does not work, then make sure that you have placed the game save in the correct folder on your computer. To find the correct directory, open up QCMA settings, there in the Folders tab you should see "Applications / Backups", click on Browse next to it. In that folder you should see PSAVEDATA, then in that one you should see a folder named with junk, inside that junk named folder is where you should place the game saves to be transferred.

I transferred my save from PC to Vita, but none or only some files transferred, what gives?
As above, make sure to refresh the database in QCMA whenever you add new files.
Another reason could be due to the 8.3 filename rules, linked/mentioned above, so make sure your file names are capitalized, including the extension (remember to disable hiding extensions on your computer), name must be no longer than 8 characters and extension 3 characters, for the file name only use uppercase letters, numbers and certain symbols. To easily bypass this limitation in QCMA, make a new folder inside the game save, then place all the files (including ISOs) you want to transfer inside that new folder, the 8.3 rule isn't applied there.

I noticed the size of the save is different between Content Manager on Vita and PC, should I be worried?
Nope. I noticed that too, but files have always transferred just fine for me, it's most likely due to the way sizes are converted, KB (1000) vs KiB (1024) (usually shown as KB too), that's just my guess though, could be other things.

I transferred an EBOOT.PBP to my Vita and now my base game no longer works telling me that I need to download it again.
After the first MajorGas bubble release it seems Sony has added some checks in the transfer process, if a matching license is found for the EBOOT.PBP being transferred then the license is deleted. Simply restoring the base game from a backup should fix the issue, remember to backup all of your content, a backup of that backup, and a backup of that backup. :P

I attempted to transfer a save from my Vita to PC, but it errors out.
As above, it seems Sony has added checks for EBOOT.PBP and maybe other files and blocked them from being transferred out of the Vita. If the error happens the other way around, make sure to refresh the database.

I transferred a save to/from my Vita, but the files don't seem to change.
In Content Manager on the Vita, make sure that you are selecting the right option, PS Vita System -> PC, or PC -> PS Vita System. I've made this mistake myself a few times. As always, remember to refresh the database (hopefully it can be done automatically in the future).

My homebrew/games don't work.
Some homebrew only work depending on what is used to run them, for kernel mode access, ARK or TN-V/TN-X, or user mode access, VHBL (much less compatibility than the previous mentioned). So ISO/CSO games, PS1 and signed or kernel homebrew/plugins will not work in VHBL since it is user mode only and does not have direct access to kernel. There are some homebrew which will not work at all on the Vita, usually ones which need access to hardware/software only available on the PSP.

My homebrew/games work, but crash when I do this or that.
Tell the dev to get off his lazy bottom and look into it, either that or the homebrew/game is not compatible with eCFW/VHBL on the Vita/PSTV.

I cannot connect to QCMA because my Vita keeps telling me to update.
Go to Settings from the Live Area, turn on flight mode, power off Vita, pull out memory card, power on Vita, put memory card back and allow it to restart. You should now be able to connect to QCMA. This works for me on my Vita, not sure about the PSTV.

If you have any ideas to add to this FAQ feel free to comment and I'll post them here.[/spoiler]

Links for this tutorial
PSP Filer direct link:
PSP Filer.zip
PSP Filer indirect link (same as above link):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYVUA ... sp=sharing
Random PSP game save:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/959008-g-force/saves
Advertising
Last edited by qwikrazor87 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
PSP 2001 - TA-085 - 6.61 PRO-C2
PS Vita 3G - PCH-1101 - 3.65 HENkaku Ensō
Alcatel phone - Android 8.1.0
Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5974 - Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

yatto

Re: [Text Tutorial] Installing homebrew with PSP Filer

Post by yatto » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Thank you for this tutorial, it's clear and well explained.

I was wondering if there is still a place where we can find a list of ePSP homebrews. I remember that SMOKE made a MEGA folder with everything in it (see here : viewtopic.php?t=10859 ), but now it has been removed. Do you know if there is still something like this, or should we search in regular hacking sites (such as in Wololo's Downloads, or Zload when it is online) ?
(For example, I had some trouble finding a correct savedata installer for VitaFTP to install with VHBL/ARK, I had to use The Internet Archive to search Wololo for past links that are dead nowadays)
Advertising

qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:15 pm

yatto wrote:Thank you for this tutorial, it's clear and well explained.

I was wondering if there is still a place where we can find a list of ePSP homebrews. I remember that SMOKE made a MEGA folder with everything in it (see here : viewtopic.php?t=10859 ), but now it has been removed. Do you know if there is still something like this, or should we search in regular hacking sites (such as in Wololo's Downloads, or Zload when it is online) ?
(For example, I had some trouble finding a correct savedata installer for VitaFTP to install with VHBL/ARK, I had to use The Internet Archive to search Wololo for past links that are dead nowadays)
Thanks. :)
hmm, not that I know of, I usually just use Google to find specific homebrew/games that I am looking for.
you do not need a specific save to install VitaFTP, just throw it in a save and transfer it, you can use the method mentioned here to install it, or whatever floats your boat.

ronnyc4

Post by ronnyc4 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:44 pm

hi qwikrazor87, just a little unrelated question. i've successfully installed ark-2 bubble (without exploit game) on my vita 3.52 through PHP us game in http://pastebin.com/JRk8jA1M.
my question is why the bubble name is "ARK" instead of "ARK-2"? already check it, its in PBOOT.PBP file in the game folder.
is this an old version of ark by mistaken? or this file is just a trigger for use in bubble that doesn't really matter.

:arrow:thank you for everything btw.

qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:50 pm

ronnyc4 wrote:hi qwikrazor87, just a little unrelated question. i've successfully installed ark-2 bubble (without exploit game) on my vita 3.52 through PHP us game in http://pastebin.com/JRk8jA1M.
my question is why the bubble name is "ARK" instead of "ARK-2"? already check it, its in PBOOT.PBP file in the game folder.
is this an old version of ark by mistaken? or this file is just a trigger for use in bubble that doesn't really matter.

:arrow:thank you for everything btw.
The title in the save/pboot doesn't matter, you can change it to whatever you want.
This one is the first ARK, not ARK-2.
For the most part, you don't need to worry about it, ARK-2 is mainly just an update on dynamic patches, instead of hard-coded patches.
The main reason I used the old ARK is because I had trouble pinpointing the corrupt savedata issue, turns out it's something to do with the latest savedata modules, using the 6.60 ones seems to have fixed that issue.

ronnyc4

Post by ronnyc4 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:39 pm

qwikrazor87 wrote:The title in the save/pboot doesn't matter, you can change it to whatever you want.
This one is the first ARK, not ARK-2.
For the most part, you don't need to worry about it, ARK-2 is mainly just an update on dynamic patches, instead of hard-coded patches.
The main reason I used the old ARK is because I had trouble pinpointing the corrupt savedata issue, turns out it's something to do with the latest savedata modules, using the 6.60 ones seems to have fixed that issue.
but in FW352_PHP_US_ARK_installer.zip, folder ARK_01234 PARAM.SFO has title ARK-2, it just PBOOT.PBP in NPUH10091SLOT00 folder has title ARK<#0><#0><#0>... ,
while in FW350_PHP_US_ARK_installer.zip, the PBOOT.PBP has title ARK-2<#0><#0><#0>... .
this is what confuse me at first place.
so FW352_PHP_US_ARK_installer.zip is not ARK-2 version?

qwikrazor87
Guru

Post by qwikrazor87 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 pm

ronnyc4 wrote:but in FW352_PHP_US_ARK_installer.zip, folder ARK_01234 PARAM.SFO has title ARK-2, it just PBOOT.PBP in NPUH10091SLOT00 folder has title ARK<#0><#0><#0>... ,
while in FW350_PHP_US_ARK_installer.zip, the PBOOT.PBP has title ARK-2<#0><#0><#0>... .
this is what confuse me at first place.
so FW352_PHP_US_ARK_installer.zip is not ARK-2 version?
As mentioned in my previous post, it does not matter what name is in the pboot or savedata, the ark files themselves are compiled from the first ARK.

wolololloyd

Post by wolololloyd » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:20 pm

hi qwikrazor87, noob question here, installed tnv11 how can i add emulator in my tnv? by the way im on fw3.51

ferndiggidy

Post by ferndiggidy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:30 pm

So if I have a factory vita that came with 3.55 pre-installed I will not be able to use this method?

Return to “Tutorials”