Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Tutorial for creating videos for the PSVita

Post here your guides, tips, how-to, etc...
thebudds

Tutorial for creating videos for the PSVita

Post by thebudds »

*edit* will be updating soon, just not a lot of motivation after my injury.

Welcome to PSVita video conversion tutorial mach 2 :o Thanks to jc_gargma for accepting my request to sticky this :D
A little note, this is a revamp from looking back at my first go and fine-tune into something a whole lot better that I should have done at first :oops:
For those Linux users
User AcidSnake added in this great info for you guys
Acid_Snake wrote:for the vita I use: ffmpeg input_video -acodec libfaac -f psp -r 29.97 -s 640x480 -b 768k -ar 44100 -ab 128k output_video.mp4
you can upscale the resolution if you want, but I like to keep it that way cause of the speed.
I also created a GUI that simplifies things a lot: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pspffvid/files/
User z3r01 adds in this helpful advice for Mac owners with Handbreak
z3r01 wrote:For anyone with a Mac just use Handbrake with this same tutorial..works fine ;-)
Now back to the rest of the tutorial
The PS Vita can handle MP4 videos encoded at a maximum of 1280x720 and lower down to even supporting psp encoded videos. This tutorial will hope to achieve helping people learn the basics to be able to encode their own videos for use on the Vita. I myself use Xvid4PSP 5 (great for hard-coding subs :D ) for most of my converting so the tutorial will use this program for it's examples. Though at the end I will list what settings are needed to pay attention to so you can use whatever converter you wish.

First step
This will be the screen that greets you when you first open up Xvid4PSP (your version may vary) Click open and select the video you wish to encode and you'll end up with this screen if all goes well.
Second step
Now it's time to make sure all the settings are in order to make sure you'll have a compatible video for your Vita when all said and done. First off will be checking the video encoding settings by clicking on the cog button next to video encoding and this window will pop out.
What your going to what to pay attention to is the AVC level. For a working compatible video it must be set to 3.1 or it will not work. Encoding mode, quality and tune settings can be set to whatever you wish, codec preset is also left up to your choosing. The other tabs can be left alone and I stress is unless you know about video encoding yourself or learn more, just leave those settings alone :lol:

After closing that window click on video next to file near the upper-left corner, and look for the resolution/aspect option and you will be greeted by this window.
All that is needed here is to either make sure if the resolution is already 1280x720 or even if it's already there you can still change it to what you see fit, just make sure it's 720p or lower. After making the changes and confirming, close the window.
Third step
Click on the cog next to audio encoding and you'll be greeted by this window.
Here, your going to want to make sure the end product will have stereo sound. If not, you'll be met by an incompatible video :x Also, this is my own tip to you all...but I find the volume on the Vita to be quite low. I myself have found a great balance in amplifying the sound with a setting of 200%. Once your done there, close the window and now click and encode.
Final step
I know you must be thinking...there's more!?! I encoded the video already!!! :o

There is though, just a little thing I got to wrap up. You have your newly converted video...but wait! The Vita doesn't have the same type of quality found in the PS3 media player so no making your own thumbnails on the Vita for you. Though look at this picture and see where to make your own.
After clicking the option shown, save your newly created thumbnail to the same place as your video you converted and make sure they are the same name. When you copy it to your Vita, you will see the thumbnail you created.

Ending product

I have two videos done for you guys to see exactly the differences from encodes done in 720p and in the native resolution of the Vita 960x544.

First off the videos can be found here http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/index.html

Exploration Flight Test-1 Animation
Original file size (Resolution 1280x720) - 86.9mb
Encoded mp4 at 1280x720 - 19.5mb
Encoded mp4 at 960x544 - 14.8mb

NPP Launches on Earth-Observing Mission
Original file size (Resolution 1920x1080i) - 218mb
Encoded mp4 at 1280x720 - 18.1mb
Encoded mp4 at 960x544 - 16.7

I myself go full 720p when encoding, though others can freely choose the resolution they want. This package was set up to show you the difference in size between the two resolutions and help out with what your end res will be.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d460x64cs1ola58

Final notes

These are the options to look for if you choose to use another video encoding program...

End product encoding in a mp4 x264
AVC level must be set to 3.1
AVC profile baseline, normal, high can be used
Audio must be 2-channel stereo

As long as those three are followed, you should be able to use any encoding program you like.

Thanks to z3r01 and AcidSnake for the additional info! :D
Advertising
Last edited by thebudds on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
darkenvy

Re: Tutorial for creating videos for the PSVita

Post by darkenvy »

OMG thanks! I'm going to boot into windows now and try this.
Advertising
PSVita 1 : Unboxed → 1.61 → Everybody's Tennis Exploit → 1.81 → Urbanix Exploit
PSVita 2 : 1.813.51 → Rejuvinate & TN-V
PSTV 1 : 3.35 → Whitelist Hack & Rejuvinate
PSTV 2 : Latest FW Always
thebudds

Post by thebudds »

(OP resuscitate post due to new info)
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

Now I can watch my pony's in HD on my Vita 8-)
thanks ^_____^
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
thebudds

Post by thebudds »

fate6 wrote:Now I can watch my pony's in HD on my Vita 8-)
thanks ^_____^
I don't know about them ponies...but I give kudos to your ichigo strawberry avatar.

@ everyone else

Feel free to leave questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability.
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

thebudds wrote: I don't know about them ponies...but I give kudos to your ichigo strawberry avatar.
Matsuri <3

I get a insane amount of time when I try to convert a show (its in 1080P so that could be the problem :D )
I haven't let it finish nor have I tried any other show yet. Ill try something that's not so HD later and see what happens
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
thebudds

Post by thebudds »

@fate6

Try using a lower codec preset setting, you don't have to use the one I have shown :)
ricardo85x

Post by ricardo85x »

Somebody know if there is a profile for handbreak or the line for ffmpeg?
cuz I use Mac OS and Linux :)
thebudds

Post by thebudds »

ricardo85x wrote:Somebody know if there is a profile for handbreak or the line for ffmpeg?
cuz I use Mac OS and Linux :)
Follow these standards and you'll have no problem creating videos on any converter you might use.

End product encoding in a mp4 x264
AVC level must be set to 3.1
AVC profile baseline, normal, high can be used
Audio must be 2-channel stereo

Also, I heard there is profile already for handbreak. I choose xvid4psp though due to the allowance of control I have over the final product. Other options can be to your choosing, but the options I listed must be followed or else you'll end up with a incompatible video.

Hope that helps! :D
Mcleod

Post by Mcleod »

This is awesome thanks for the details, I wasnt to sure if I needed to uses Video9 or any other converter to be able to watch videos on the Vita.
PS3 CECHA01 500gb seagate 160+ games :-D yay
4 PSP 5.50 Gen hacked to the max love playing DDR on it
Ps Vita : VHBL WORKING 1.67!!!

Return to “Tutorials”