Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Why is there no disc modchip?

Underground PS4 discussions
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
piettjan

Why is there no disc modchip?

Post by piettjan »

I can't find public reports about why a modchip might be possible or impossible for discs. Has anyone done this.
Basically something like this must work.
1: download game to harddisk from original game.
2: at game boot emulate copy protection from disc with modchip

This is only impossible when this data stream is encrypted.
Advertising
Dinckelman

Re: Why is there no disc modchip?

Post by Dinckelman »

Because it's not as simple as just slapping any random chip onto the board and expecting it to just make the system completely ignore any security measures
Advertising
randname

Post by randname »

There is this kind of chip, but I am not fully convinced, since this thing is never sold seperately. Instead of emulating the disc, this chip hacks the PS4 MATRiX key chip to fool around the system about the activation status.

There was once a lot of sellers selling PS4s equipped with this kind of chip in China at the extra price of about 200 USD. And they all said:
* The PS4 has been hardware modified so it will look bad in appearance
* Sellers will install all pir8 games that they got, but the consumer cannot install games by themselves
* Never connect to the Internet or it will be banned at once and the hack will no longer work
* Update the console OS via USB won't affect the hack
* By formatting the console, it will back to an ordinary PS4 with everything working normally except the hack.

I searched for some time but didn't find a good picture about the hacked PS4, except this blurry one.
PS4_with_hack_chip.JPEG
PS4_with_hack_chip.JPEG (64.51 KiB) Viewed 12739 times
Information about the chip:
https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps4-mtx- ... on-4.2511/
NDS:Stuck N64 into Game&Watch
PSP:Stuck PS2 into PocketStation
3DS:Stuck VituralBoy into NDS
PSV:Stuck PS3 into PSP
GPD:Stuck PC into NDS
UrbanAnonymous

Post by UrbanAnonymous »

because the people who may be able to actually implement this either already have it privately and dont want to get there teeth knocked down there throat by sce, or teams like xecuter probably have already tried and failed and moved on to simpler tasks ie the switch project. my opinion.
randname

Post by randname »

UrbanAnonymous wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 am because the people who may be able to actually implement this either already have it privately and dont want to get there teeth knocked down there throat by sce, or teams like xecuter probably have already tried and failed and moved on to simpler tasks ie the switch project. my opinion.
That's right, and the chip for fooling around the activation status (as I mentioned earlier) is being made out only in private in order not to get attention. But the ironic thing is, some electronic factories in China stole the chip scheme (I don't know how could this happen) and soon put this chip into mass-production and equipped in PS4s and sold together with pir8 games at the extra charge of about 200 USD. (It is "almost legal" to sell PS4s bundled with pir8 games in China.)

Then the guy who invented this kind of chip told this to Sony and then the chips are scr..ed. They no longer work on newer models and OSs. And maybe there are tons of this chip rusting in manufactories' warehouse or being thrown away as totally trash.

The same principle for disc modchips. Maybe someone is making or already made them but we just don't know it exists. And once they are shown they will be soon patched by Sony.
NDS:Stuck N64 into Game&Watch
PSP:Stuck PS2 into PocketStation
3DS:Stuck VituralBoy into NDS
PSV:Stuck PS3 into PSP
GPD:Stuck PC into NDS

Return to “Programming and Security”