Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Just got a test kit with all types of pup files (1.76 too)..

Underground PS4 discussions
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
costume331

Just got a test kit with all types of pup files (1.76 too)..

Post by costume331 »

Hello guys and gals,
Long time lurker and hobbyist, first time poster.
I've read the forum rules, and it didn't exactly give me an indication I couldn't post something like this, but in the event I am breaking any rules, I'm sorry for any ignorance and misinterpretation on my end. Please adjust / remove the thread accordingly.

But here's my subject :

I bought a used ps4 on the local craigslist a few days ago.
While I try to keep on the up and up with developments on ps4 security, and the linux/homebrew scene, I'm not as fully immersed as I used to be in this sort of thing. I was more into the ps2/1st gen xb stuff.

Now, here? I just wanted to grab a somewhat inexpensive, used ps4 to play Dark Souls 3 on.
I picked one up. The lady said her husband collected them and passed on. She was sellin' etc etc.

But the system turned out to be a test kit. Not a retail kit. I didn't realize that, or some of the possible implications until I brought it home and started it up for a bit.

Now, to no credit of my own, it DID say "something about activation expired" when I tested it before buying, and I thought nothing of it, maybe it was some psn account that was out of date, or something.
I didn't know non-retail systems also had a physical indicator in the cube-block-shaped piece on the back (and label) saying "Test" on it, too.

So, I bought it, and brought it home thinking nothing of it all.

Edit:
It also came with a usb drive with what I'm presuming is the ps4 actually the xbox 1 sdk, and several pup update files including the 1.76 update, from the looks of it.

I've never seen one of these before, and it seems to be way out of my league. The debug menu has a LOT of options for end user tweaking and managing/manipulation of files and data.
I'm not sure what it could be used for on my end. Would it or any of the materials be of any use to anyone in the community? Would this be somehow helpful to have going down the road as the homebrew scene starts catching steam?

(Geez, would I even be in breach of any local, federal, or international law by possessing this sort of thing? :o)

Forgive my ignorance, again, but I'm only coming here to learn from those smarter than me.
I'm out a few hundred bucks with a test kit ps4 instead of a retail one, and from the sound of my preliminary searches, playing dark souls 3 will not be in my forecast with it.

Just wondering what I could / should / might do with it now. I'm not really a game collector of rarities and curiosities, I'm guessing this would be a nice addition if so, though.

So, help me please. I'm just looking for some guidance, advice and instruction.

Thanks all,

Do good!
Advertising
Last edited by costume331 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phn

Re: Just got a test kit with all types of pup files (1.76 to

Post by phn »

wooah... First of all it is impressive how much you care about scene, nice to see people like you. I don't know what could you do with that dev kit, but it is for sure that someone with the right skills can achieve nice things with it... Wait for some dev to answer and thanks a lot again for your information!
Advertising
costume331

Post by costume331 »

Just hoping to see if I bought a paperweight, or if my bad luck might be able to help anyone.
nyx

Post by nyx »

You might actually be able to play retail games on it. Though maybe not if you can't update.

Since the activation expired, you won't be able to run test/unsigned programs on it afaik.

It's nice but if you just want to play games, sell it and get a normal one.
costume331

Post by costume331 »

nyx wrote:You might actually be able to play retail games on it. Though maybe not if you can't update.

Since the activation expired, you won't be able to run test/unsigned programs on it afaik.

It's nice but if you just want to play games, sell it and get a normal one.

Thanks Nyx. certainly wouldn't have any time these days to toy and tinker with it. Last time I did that sort of thing, Xbmc wasn't even on it's first legit release candidate.

I'm going to be doing a full detailed search of info, and it's capabilities when I get home tonight. Also, I might need to find a circle where the test kit would be desired and wanted for purchase. That, I'd have no idea on these days.

Thanks for giving me some info to start with. Have a good day!
majin93

Post by majin93 »

costume331 wrote:Hello guys and gals,
Long time lurker and hobbyist, first time poster.
I've read the forum rules, and it didn't exactly give me an indication I couldn't post something like this, but in the event I am breaking any rules, I'm sorry for any ignorance and misinterpretation on my end. Please adjust / remove the thread accordingly.
what firmware are you on?
Zecoxao

Post by Zecoxao »

if you have a testkit then you can downgrade at will.
i am curious about the pups you have.
can you post the list of the ones you have?
My sig is original :D

Return to “Programming and Security”