Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Optical drive "marrying" workaround/exploit

Everything that is PS4-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
bogwog

Optical drive "marrying" workaround/exploit

Post by bogwog »

Just wondering if anyone has managed to figure out the optical drive stuff that keeps you from swapping in just any drive into a console? I don't know much about this console and how it works, so I don't know if the issue is a real technical/incompatability one or just some DRM ***.

...or at the very least figured out a way to bypass whatever check prevents the console from updating when it detects that there is no optical drive installed.
Advertising
dmaskell92

Re: Optical drive "marrying" workaround/exploit

Post by dmaskell92 »

Jesus, you can't even replace the optical drive? I didn't think I could hate Sony any more than I did 10 seconds ago.
Advertising
Does it quit? If not, then it's legit... Too legit.

Nvidia Shield Portable 48gb
Dreamcast: SEGA Sports - 80gb IDE HDD
4k PS3 Super Slim OFW 4.82
1k PSP: 6.60 ME-2.3
1K PSVita: Ensō 32GB - 64GB SD2VITA - 128GB PSVSD
bogwog

Post by bogwog »

You can replace it, but for some reason they decided to screw a part of the motherboard on to the optical drive, and some people just throw it out thinking it's actually part of the drive itself. When they buy a new optical drive and see it doesn't have that board is when they realize they scr..ed up.

In my case, I bought a ps4 on eBay, but the daughter board that came with it doesn't seem to be the right one for the motherboard. A consequence of this is that, aside to not being able to play disc-based games, the system itself can't even update to play digital downloads (or even connect to psn).

That's what has me suspicious. I don't know if that's just some *** DRM to keep people from tampering with the hardware, or if there's actually a technical reason why the boards aren't interchangeable.
dmaskell92

Post by dmaskell92 »

I'm sure it's just a way to prevent consumers from being able to fix their own products. They want you to buy new or ship your console to a service center.
Does it quit? If not, then it's legit... Too legit.

Nvidia Shield Portable 48gb
Dreamcast: SEGA Sports - 80gb IDE HDD
4k PS3 Super Slim OFW 4.82
1k PSP: 6.60 ME-2.3
1K PSVita: Ensō 32GB - 64GB SD2VITA - 128GB PSVSD

Return to “General”