Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PS3 stuck on please wait

Everything that is PS3-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
Sevenanths

PS3 stuck on please wait

Post by Sevenanths »

Hi everyone

I've been trying to fix this issue for a year now, with no luck. I've lost track of how many Google searches I've done. I'll try to explain everything as thoroughly as possible.

I was given a Playstation 3 slim by a friend of mine. He had bought another one because this one was stuck on 99% while updating. I thought I would be able to fix it so I took his old one and went on to fix it.

At first, it didn't find the hard drive. I checked the hard drive compartiment, blew the dust out and re-inserted it. Hard drive was recognised, so I booted into safe mode and restored it to factory settings. Sony logo appeared, and I had a working Playstation.

Due to this console still being on 3.50, I could not access online, nor play any of the games I had bought previously. I'm also more interested in Playstation Vita stuff so I wanted the console to be on the recent firmware.

At first, I tried updating via internet. The update was stuck on 99%, so I put the latest firmware version on a USB drive (with the correct folder structure and formatted to FAT32, yes). The console hung on "Checking.. please wait".

I tried rebooting, updating from the disc, nothing worked. So I took the drive out, formatted it on PC and reinserted it, hoping it would reinstall the firmware this time.

It did not. In safe mode as well, it hangs on the "Checking, please wait" screen. My flash drive's lights flicker, so it does try to access it, but after a while it stops and it just hangs.

I have tried swapping the Toshiba internal drive with a totally new one, with a Samsung EVO SSD, it doesn't change a thing.

A friend of mine gave me his PS3 to do some Vita stuff with for a while. I cloned his drive, hoping it would just restore the factory settings and keep the firmware, but it refuses to boot off this image as well.

I have opened the unit to check the Blu-Ray connection, as this can cause update troubles as well. All the connections are fine. There is no problem with the Bluetooth radio. I was able to navigate through XMB wirelessly when the console still had firmware on it.

I currently have tried:
  • updating via internet
  • updating via a disc
  • updating via a flash drive
  • multiple flash drives
  • multiple firmwares, even altered firmwares (if you know what I mean)
  • formatting the hard drive
  • cloning the hard drive
  • opening the unit and check for connection errors
  • sacrificing a few goats to Satan
I'm dying to play Ratchet and Clank. How can I resurrect this Playstation? All help is appreciated!

^ my screen of doom

Thanks in advance.
Advertising
Thanks to all for your thanks and praises for Bubble Studio. I greatly appreciate all your words. I could not have wished for a greater introduction to a scene. Take care.
HarmfulMushroom

Re: PS3 stuck on please wait

Post by HarmfulMushroom »

Looks like you tried 99% of what I would've suggested. One other suggestion since you didn't specify in your post, did you try both USB ports? For some reason everyone recommends the right most usb port when attempting to update via flash drive.

I guess one other thing you could try to do is, if you have the money, buy an E3, backup your consoles NOR and try to update it that way? Not sure that will work, and that's a pretty decent amount of money to spend on a maybe, but depending on how desperate you are to get it working could be worth a shot.

I'll think of more things throughout the day, see if I can come up with any better suggestions.

EDIT: Not sure how well this would work, but since it's on an exploitable firmware try the downgrader .pub? I guess for you it'd be upgrading it but worth a shot? Just throwing out suggestions.
Advertising
Sevenanths

Post by Sevenanths »

Thank you for your reply. I have tried both USB ports. My flash drive is currently on the right.

I have heard of E3 flashers, but I'm unfamiliar with them. Videos I've seen on YouTube require them to have firmware be installed from the official safe mode as well, so I'll be out of luck.

I'll try the downgrader update. However, since I'll have to install it using the corrupt (?) firmware installation method as well, I don't think it's going to work. I'm trying it anyway though.

Unfortunately, I think this PS3 is more or less paperweight right now. It's frustrating to have 0 visible hardware defects and still have it fail.
Thanks to all for your thanks and praises for Bubble Studio. I greatly appreciate all your words. I could not have wished for a greater introduction to a scene. Take care.
HarmfulMushroom

Post by HarmfulMushroom »

Sevenanths wrote:Thank you for your reply. I have tried both USB ports. My flash drive is currently on the right.

I have heard of E3 flashers, but I'm unfamiliar with them. Videos I've seen on YouTube require them to have firmware be installed from the official safe mode as well, so I'll be out of luck.

I'll try the downgrader update. However, since I'll have to install it using the corrupt (?) firmware installation method as well, I don't think it's going to work. I'm trying it anyway though.

Unfortunately, I think this PS3 is more or less paperweight right now. It's frustrating to have 0 visible hardware defects and still have it fail.
I get it. Alternatively you could also try selling it as firmware 3.50 and just buying another one with the money. With it being a lot firmware people would probably buy it right up.

Return to “General”