Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[POC Release] XMB Package Downloader v0.10

Everything that is PS3-related but doesn't go in any other subforum
DeViL303

[POC Release] XMB Package Downloader v0.10

Post by DeViL303 »

Ive released a little XMB mod over at PSX-Place called XMB Package Downloader (XMBPD) .

Here is a quote of my original post there:

Here is an XMB mod Ive been working on for the past few days, I call it XMB Package Downloader (XMBPD). The only requirement is that you have a PSN account on your PS3 so it knows what region you are in (you don't need to be signed in or connected, just have an account on there), other than that it should be supported by most if not all CFW (inc DEX now) as it doesn't use any custom sprx files or rely on any FW patches except the ability to install unsigned pkgs.

It allows you to pick from a set list of homebrew packages that can be downloaded directly to the internal HDD without the need for a USB key/Redirect which has been required up until now using the browser method to download files. The package gets installed automatically on completion of download just like any official $ony package. There is no option for background download unfortunately.

There are just 20 homebrews added so far but I plan on adding more if there is any interest/suggestions.

I havnt got this made into a pkg file yet so for now there are 3 steps to installing it after downloading the .zip :

1. Copy the XMBPKGDLR folder to dev_hdd0/game/
2. Replace the 3 xmls in dev_blind/vsh/resource/explore/xmb/
3. Replace the 3 files in your dev_hdd0/tmp/explore/xil2/music/xx/c/xxxxxxxxxxxx/ folders

*Note the "xx" folder name will be different depending on your region for example "us","gb","ïe" etc. The "xxxxxxxxxxx" folder names seem to be random or based on console/user so you will just have to check yourself, there are normally only a few to choose from and Ive found the xml normally goes in the first folder, and the 2 png's in the last 2 folders.

Also note there are always risks writing files to flash so use this at your own risk, It is only a POC so there could be bugs in it and I havnt tested it in all the regions provided so feedback appreciated. If someone can figure out how to get it going without a PSN account ever being on the PS3 that would be sweet. I have also got this to download any file types so I could add links to sprx files etc but ive left that out for now as its not the most user friendly solution in its current state..

Another thing that I think is possible is to have the list of homebrew automatically updated on boot up using a custom xml. I have found where the link is in an sprx file. ;)

Big thanks to bitsbubba and atreyu187 for testing and to sandungas, and aldostools and all the rest for all the great info they provide on these forums. Big thanks to the mods and admins too :)

And of course a big thanks to all the developers of the homebrew I have included, there are too many to mention.

Download here : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hda ... .10.02.zip

For any users who are in different regions to the ones I have included all you have to do is rename any one of the xil2 xml files to the same as your own and it will work, I just included 8 different ones to save some people the bother, there is no difference.
Release thread on PSX-Place : http://www.psx-place.com/forum/ps3-home ... #post38653

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions (some have already been posted over there)
Advertising
DeViL303

Re: [POC Release] XMB Package Downloader v0.10

Post by DeViL303 »

XMB Package Downloader v0.16 (Now in a pkg for easy installation)

Here is the latest version if anyone wants to give it a go, it works fine here for me on the latest Rebug FW but I would like bug reports : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/f8f ... g_Only.pkg. It uses the team XMBM+ installer so its now very easy for people on Rebug to try out. (thanks bitsbubba for the tips on making the package).

Installing:

There are 2 options in the installer plus the back up feature that's built in:

1. Is for installing XMB Package Downloader to the network category

2. Is for reverting to standard Rebug XMB

* The installer will make a backup of your current XMB before it installs, so If you you want to revert back to that instead of the standard XMB (option 2) then use the backup instead.

** You can completely delete the installer from your game category after youve run this app if you don't mind losing your XMB backup.

Usage:

The latest packages available will update online as long as you are using a user account with a PSN account attached (doesn't need to be logged in). After first installing this it will appear on your XMB but the categories will be empty, reboot, and then it will sync, sometimes it takes 5 minutes for all the package lists to appear in all the categories. There are now 35 packages included for easy installing. (36 if you include the fact that XMBPD can now be updated from within itself for convenience in the future, so you will only need to install it once in theory when its done, Also this app will survive a Format/Restore as its all on flash/hosted online. Very easy for this to be built into FW aswell if people wish to do that in the future.

Known Issues in this version:

1. As of now this breaks the TV category items like Netflix and amazon etc, they will not show up anymore. So if you use them then don't try this, or try it and then switch back. (I will have this sorted soon).

2. Because of the way enabling CFW Settings swaps the xmls in Rebug 4.78, You need to have CFW Settings enabled when installing this if you want to keep the ability to toggle CFWS 100% properly, without it effecting XMBPD. Not much I can do about this except maybe include more options in the pkg for various situations but then the pkg will get big.

3. As of now XMB Package Downloader only works for users of Rebug FW at or above 4.75 due to a SSL error when downloading the packages on Rebug below that.(might look into this someday).

4. As of now all Homebrew categories show the same items (I will have this sorted soon too).

* Issues 1 and 4 will be solved as soon as I get a server set up properly.

** This is FW dependant due to the sprx file involved, so Ive made it so it will only install on 4.75, 4.76, 4.78 FW's. Ive built a warning into the installer so people know its for Rebug only, and so they know they should enable CFW settings if on 4.78. .

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/f8f ... g_Only.pkg
Advertising
DeViL303

Re: [POC Release] XMB Package Downloader v0.10

Post by DeViL303 »

Version 0.19.01. With 4 categories and 70 packages included.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4os ... g_Only.pkg

Only for Rebug 4.78.

ALL known issues solved. Now works as it should. doesn't break TV items, works with singstar and Spotify, categories working properly.

Also here is what Webman Launchpad looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7HZBugdY7c
DeViL303

Release: XMB Package Downloader v0.20

Post by DeViL303 »

XMBPD v0.20.00 released

Loads of new features added to this PS3 pkg downloader.

Download: XMBPD v0.20.00 (Rebug 4.78 Only)

Thanks to Bitsbubba and Hara for all the help.

Return to “General”