Note*: TN-C is now open source and out, please update if you are on TN-B: http://wololo.net/2012/11/18/release-tn-c-ecfw-for-vita
Updated 12/5/12 : New Method that works fully however still no coded sound and some bugs.
To find a compatibilty list go to my other thread, report your findings please! viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18690
1. Extract 6.60 firmware using a PSARDUMPER.
2. Copy pops_01g.prx to root with your exploit and name it POPS_01G.PRX.
3. Download and copy POPCORN.PRX to root with your exploit (http://rghost.ru/42090633).
4. Install any PS1 game converted for 6.60 and run it from TNMenu.
Thanks to The Z, who was kind enough to go ahead and make a simple download with everything for this release, so that you don’t have to do anything else besides copy over the contents into your exploit folder. You can launch your PSX games straight from TN menu. Right now other menus have not been tested other than TN:
Download here: http://zload.net/v2/archives/file/?id=2417594
Note*:The Z’s link provided here is for those who are interested, but please don’t ask us for a mirror if this one dies, as these files are in a grey area since they can contain code belonging to Sony. Also note that Wololo.net does not condone piracy.
Total_Noob (For all his work involved in the PSP and PS Vita scene & TN CEF)
Frostegater (For compiling the POPCORN.PRX file from the TN-C sources & his exploits)
TUTORIAL FOR PSX GAMES: WHERE TO PLACE THEM AND HOW TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK PART 1 -Thanks Tonakai
[spoiler]Okay to clarify I'll write a quick guide following on from where you are currently.
1) Place the two files into the SAVEDATA folder.
2) Assuming you already have your ISO file convert it into an Eboot via your prefered converter. I prefer PSX2PSP, however some prefer Popstation GUI but these are the two to choose from really.
Note: While converting your eboot, if you wish to modify the icon that you see in the menu then place a custom image on ICON0 when making the Eboot. Same goes for the background which is PIC1, though this only works while choosing the selected game. I will edit this post with an image shortly.
3) Create a folder called PSP and another called GAME then copy the folder containing the Eboot into the GAME folder, then place that into the PSP folder.
4) Zip the PSP folder using 7zip or WinRAR with store compression. You can name this zip whatever you like as long as you ensure that the name does not exceed 8 letters (this does not include the extension), and both the name and extension are in caps. (Using Final Fantasy 8 for an example; FF8.ZIP = Good. ff8.zip = Bad)
5) Place this zip into the SAVEDATA folder.
6) Use your Vita to transfer the Savedata onto your vita.
This may seem like a lot, but it's not as much as it sounds. I'm not sure if it's all necessary anymore, but that's what has always worked for me. I can ensure that if you follow that, it'll work fine.
Edit: Here's an image of a game with a modified PIC1 and ICON0. I apologies for the back quality, but I can't seem to get PRXShot or any other form of screenshot plugin to work on my Vita
Please also note that this works on TN Menu. I'm unsure about other menu's as I've not used any.[/spoiler]
NEW TUTORIAL 1/10/13 HOW TO GET PERFECT COMPATIBILITY:
[spoiler]Games have been found to not work due to some of the Video formats included in PSX games. This tutorial will teach you the best way to cut some of the video out, so that it runs without any errors or black screen! (NOTE:* Cutting all video or important ones may make it not work. Always keep a back up and adjust your video accordingly.)
Mirror of files for cutting PSX videos & audio from thread upper:http://rghost.ru/42848670
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7SDW_Vg9t0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNqVSXhwv8
Tips: If you game will freeze anyplace in-game after cutting STR and XA, you need to uncheck "XA" here and rebuild all operations from the start: http://youtu.be/_7SDW_Vg9t0?t=39s
Also, try to recreate EBOOT from other tools like "Simple Popstation GUI" game should run better, and be careful with PAL2NTSC fixes, it's may crash it too.
NOTE: Your game needs to have maximum compressed after cutting videos, if it's not 9 level of compression , it's will crash on startup on Vita.
Special thanks to SILENT_Pavel for the tip and videos [/spoiler]