Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Renaming/removing "system_update_plugin.rco" - Impacts?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
OperationNT

Renaming/removing "system_update_plugin.rco" - Impacts?

Post by OperationNT »

Hello everybody,

I try to have a system which cannot be updated through LiveArea and any application (but which can still be updated through SafeMode in case I mess up with "vs0:").

I noticed that if I rename "vs0:app/NPXS10015/system_update_plugin.rco" to "vs0:app/NPXS10015/system_update_plugin.rco.lock", the update menu in "Settings" application doesn't work anymore and when my PS Vita displays "Update software", the menu which pops when I pick the button is also locked. This is exactly the behavior I was expecting.

I would like to know if someone already tried it and if there is any negative impact (for example, permanent brick risk because SafeMode won't be able to apply an update). Does this method prevent update in IDU mode?

Thank you for your answers!
Advertising
niszczycielnpc

Re: Renaming/removing "system_update_plugin.rco" - Impacts?

Post by niszczycielnpc »

OperationNT wrote:Hello everybody,

I try to have a system which cannot be updated through LiveArea and any application (but which can still be updated through SafeMode in case I mess up with "vs0:").

I noticed that if I rename "vs0:app/NPXS10015/system_update_plugin.rco" to "vs0:app/NPXS10015/system_update_plugin.rco.lock", the update menu in "Settings" application doesn't work anymore and when my PS Vita displays "Update software", the menu which pops when I pick the button is also locked. This is exactly the behavior I was expecting.

I would like to know if someone already tried it and if there is any negative impact (for example, permanent brick risk because SafeMode won't be able to apply an update). Does this method prevent update in IDU mode?

Well safemode have files to work in os0: If im right so you will be still able to update vita with use of safemode ;)
I did not expect that you can still edit some files in vs0 and be able to accouly get it startup. well i think only some plugin files or .jpg .png .dds files.

HERE i found this >> os0:sm/update_service_sm.self
I think its update service for safemode ;)

Ps. i tried the same as you did and ofc when you get in update options they just change name to "msg_update_wifi" and so on.. and when you enter it nothing happens.
Advertising
OperationNT

Post by OperationNT »

Thank you for your clarification.

Yes, when you enter the update menu, you see string IDs and then, nothing works which is enough to prevent any unwished update :-).
Mathieulh
Guru

Post by Mathieulh »

niszczycielnpc wrote:
OperationNT wrote:Hello everybody,

Well safemode have files to work in os0: If im right so you will be still able to update vita with use of safemode ;)
I did not expect that you can still edit some files in vs0 and be able to accouly get it startup. well i think only some plugin files or .jpg .png .dds files.

HERE i found this >> os0:sm/update_service_sm.self
I think its update service for safemode ;)

Ps. i tried the same as you did and ofc when you get in update options they just change name to "msg_update_wifi" and so on.. and when you enter it nothing happens.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

os0:sm/update_service_sm.self is actually a Secure Module (that's what sm stands, certainly not for "Safe Mode", it is therefore used during updating, it doesn't matter if the vsh is involved or not), I would not advise on modifying the system files on a vita, no matter the purpose, it is safer just not to update, unless you are in IDU mode, updates on vita aren't forced on the user.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJYmZSAAAoJEKa4nBz3AlIISWEH/0v/eEAyj0Ceikk+ENBn2Smm
amBs3SWncL8ntoWK8n0OXljpzAIO9kk6/3V3/G26kbnDZ87XlrzWJrsIYHYxg4/L
UGJzjFJvvktFX3Il8pkUkO00mf0kTC3l/P7AeRl5KePV87TDz22G2bHenIt5pog5
8osH+716MbSAFE4OxbJQPa1aQUsJKUGr9VM7/krf+HjpH7Aokb/VYr9u4Mytw759
cHNC79tonaRNRDaquLomFs0+h3UarLxay/m0FQuQSkNfrOZLI1mn+w0J+GRO6V+N
4oC3um43H824B2/Irpv3i5JNsEXSjz5g5DgDbBTZbW8iG1BQJrb3KHDmBaR/T9g=
=fJST
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
---
PGP Fingerprint: DF46 8C79 5D1A 76FF 75B2 C345 4679 EDEF 1B5B B192
Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1B5BB192