Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
MooMooMan

Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?

Post by MooMooMan »

Now, of course it's all wonderful that the Vita has finally been cracked open and we can run native homebrew... But not everyone is interested in homebrew, but piracy... Opening the door for homebrew is also taking a step forward to let pirates in. Of course you can't pirate games as it is now, since the exploit is only userland... But the fact remains that exploiting the thing at all to run native code is a huge step towards piracy... I need not tell you all about what happened to the PSP, because we all know very well.

I love Rejuvenate and I have both Unity and PSM installed, but this is a mixed bag... If piracy starts happening in the Vita, it could really be the end for it, as if *** wasn't bad for it enough.

Anyone else have mixed feelings about there being a native exploit?
Advertising
Ps Vita 1000 3.60 HenKaku
PSP 3000 03g 6.20 LME 2.3 Perm (Black)
PSP 3000 03g 6.20 LME 2.3 Perm (Silver)
frellar

Re: Is Rejuvenate the Beginning of the End for the Vita?

Post by frellar »

The beginning for the end started a long time ago for the Vita. Sony has already confirmed that they are no longer working on any large games for the Vita.
Advertising
MooMooMan

Post by MooMooMan »

frellar wrote:The beginning for the end started a long time ago for the Vita. Sony has already confirmed that they are no longer working on any large games for the Vita.
True, but I've heard from quite a few people that Japanese games are just being pushed out one after another in Japan for the Vita, so it may not be doing well in America, but I've heard that it isn't that bad in Japan.
Ps Vita 1000 3.60 HenKaku
PSP 3000 03g 6.20 LME 2.3 Perm (Black)
PSP 3000 03g 6.20 LME 2.3 Perm (Silver)
frellar

Post by frellar »

While that also is true, they pretty much never get translated and released in the US/Europe, so for our cases its pretty much already dying.
PSPcfwDUDE

Post by PSPcfwDUDE »

As far as piracy goes, I believe the PS Vita was secured way better than the PSP. Actually, the whole OS was way better secured compared to the PSP.

Also I don't think piracy will be possible because of the PlayStation Network and the Vita's close relationship with it.
Only time will tell. I think it's up to the developers to allow pirate copies of games or not. I'm sure that, eventually, devs will find some way to access, copy, and run a successful copy of a Vita game. Now, whether they release it to the public or not is up to them. I'm getting way ahead of myself though, lol
Gezine

Post by Gezine »

MooMooMan wrote:
frellar wrote:The beginning for the end started a long time ago for the Vita. Sony has already confirmed that they are no longer working on any large games for the Vita.
True, but I've heard from quite a few people that Japanese games are just being pushed out one after another in Japan for the Vita, so it may not be doing well in America, but I've heard that it isn't that bad in Japan.
Well That is the problem

Vita is only popular in Japan

And here Korea :)
NoOne

Post by NoOne »

MooMooMan wrote:Now, of course it's all wonderful that the Vita has finally been cracked open and we can run native homebrew...
afaik, we are far away from native homebrews. PSM is sandboxed, you can't get access to the actual vita file system. Vita games are stored in totally different place and they have no relation with PSM. So, this won't open the door to piracy.
Xana

Post by Xana »

NoOne wrote:
MooMooMan wrote:Now, of course it's all wonderful that the Vita has finally been cracked open and we can run native homebrew...
afaik, we are far away from native homebrews. PSM is sandboxed, you can't get access to the actual vita file system. Vita games are stored in totally different place and they have no relation with PSM. So, this won't open the door to piracy.
The entire point of Rejuvenate is escaping the PSM sandbox (Mono). However, the process running it still doesn't have permissions to access the vita fs.
smithsf0x

Post by smithsf0x »

I don't think it is the end. Sony announced ~100 new games for the Vita this year.
zefalump

Post by zefalump »

No Games No Party

Return to “Programming and Security”