Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

PSVita file corruption problems. Errors. MS is now buggy?

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
NeonAera

PSVita file corruption problems. Errors. MS is now buggy?

Post by NeonAera »

8-) Hey guys, it's good to see you guys again. Looks like you folks have been doing awesome!! It's been a while. I've been away quite a bit because of school, work, etc, but yeah! I'm back for a little bit!! The PSVita scene is looking fantastic! It's becoming more and more alive now that news broke out about a native psvita homebrew vulnerability found by Yifan Lu in Playstation Mobile dev apps. Really really excited about it.. can't wait to see what it brings to us in the future. (You are amazin', Yifan Lu!! Big high-fives to you, man) If you are reading.

Anyway, on to my subject. D: A bit of a long story, I hope you guys don't mind this huge wall of text LOL but bear with me. So yeah, unfortunately my PSVita has just gotten a file corruption as of late ever since I installed PSM Dev. Not saying it's the PSM Dev's fault or anything.. could be something else... I actually had a very bad, random serious file corruption a couple months ago to the point I couldn't launch anything at all except settings, and I had no choice but to format completely and restore from back up on my PC (I didn't have PSM Dev at the time and I think the file corruption was caused by the PSVita suddenly being halted, interrupted and stopped when music song files were being transferred and written to the PSVita memory stick.. the USB transfer was from large 10 USB splitter hub connected to my PC.. I think the data transfer rate was weak, slow and the 10 USB hub had problems.. now I'm using PC's usb ports directly).. Okay, so the restore did the trick which helped; but now, I got another one.. although this new one seems like a less moderate case of database corruption and seems not so severe... but yeah, it was just a couple of days after installing PSM Dev. I was taking a walk around where I live listening to music on my PSVita when suddenly the music stopped playing..!!! I was like.. that's weird...!! I took a look on my PSVita's music app and the song froze somehow oddly... so I figured it was just a glitch or something, and I hit the next song icon... the next song played but.. a few seconds later bam! Got hit with an error that said files are corrupted. My PSVita crashed.. :shock: I freaked out, because I haven't backed up the PSM Dev app yet. So I quickly restarted the PSVita.. it rebuilt database and it didn't read my memory stick! No apps I installed or the digital PSP games appeared on my home menu. Holy crud! I got back home and quickly gave the memory stick port a quick blow to remove any dust residue.. and it worked! The files were able to be read.. Emulators, apps, photos, music are still intact including the PSM Dev app.. Immediately after noticing I still have the PSM app, I tried to back up on my PC with OpenCMA!! Just didn't want to risk losing it... :evil: BUT THE BACK UP DIDN'T WORK!! It was backing up for a few minutes, then it just stops! :O YIKES!! ARGHH.. I was like no way.. So ever since, I've been hella worried about any file corruptions again... I would risk losing the PSM Dev app.. Okay, so before all that, I think I know what might have triggered the file corruption.... let me explain.. alright, thanks to a tutorial here on wololo.net I done the charles proxxy trick where you download, pause, then swap a PSN free PSVita app's link to PSM dev app link, right? I managed to get the PSM dev app on PSVita! Hooray! I thought I was too late during the time, but I did it! It was a big moment for me. Then on the same tutorial here on wololo.net, I installed a PSM dev update, BUT I did it using the charles proxxy swap trick?!?? And I did it without package installer! At the time I did not know what package installer even was until now after just learning about it with QCMA and managing to get Unity as well.. I just wasn't able to quickly search how package installer works in time.. So I was just flying blind and wanted to do whatever I can to get PSM dev installed and working as soon as possible... I know, how reckless of me... The thing is, though, I believe the update worked since it changed the name of the PSM app from "PS Suite dev" to "PSM Dev" on my PSVita' menu? Am I doing this right?? Sorry if I am asking bad questions. Do you guys think I made a huge mistake by using the charles proxxy psm app swap trick instead of using QCMA and package installer to update the PSM dev app on my PSVita? Maybe that's why I've got the file corruption error?? Is there something in my PSVita's file folders that shouldn't be there?? I also noticed that every time I open up a PSVita app I haven't opened in a while, I get a small "Please wait" gray window and then it disappears, and the app opens up to use. It's happening more frequently than ever after the files got corrupted and I had to rebuild database.... Normally, the app bubble doesn't show "Please wait" or anything; if I haven't opened the app in a while, it would just slowly open up, but doesn't show "Please wait" Just thought I outta let you guys know.. maybe this is some sort of bad sign of a faulty memory stick/PSVita or something? Or do you guys think it's the music song files?? Maybe there's some sort of virus in one of my songs? Just some theories. So after receiving the error about the files being corrupted for the first time, I lost my old Gravity Crash PSP game I installed and used for the TN-C exploit a while ago that I was no longer using anymore, some of my free PSM games/apps I got from PSN gone missing, and my Unit 13 free PSVita demo game is gone.... It got me worried and I just done a Power + PS Home + R buttons safe mode manually database rebuild today to see if it can help sort things out and maybe I could get the games and some apps back......also to to see if it can fix the issue of not being able to back up.... NOT REALLY.. and unfortunately, it wiped out all of my photos, my PSVita games, and apps icons got scattered all over the place unorganized.. background pics gone because the photos were erased and I still wasn't able to back up correctly. Yeah, it was a messy *** nightmare, but good thing I made some photo back ups, and the songs are still on my PC and everything.. so it wasn't that bad and I am still able to launch TN-V using Talkman Travel, social media apps, web browser, also playing PSVita games is no problem. By the way, I'm definitely not trying to scare you guys about the PSM dev apps or anything, however definitely do back up every now and then if you can. especially you just installed something that cannot be retrieved again online or something. I still have only one backup since I switched out my old PSVita memory sticks for more a much bigger memory stick, but it doesn't have PSM dev. D:

So yeah, as you can see, lol, these are the problems I encountered.... have just been driving me nuts. Some crazy corruption going on my PSVita.. What do you guys think?? Did I do something wrong? A silly mistake on my end? I mean, luckily everything is working fine so far, however I am definitely nervous about the fact that I won't be able to restore if I get another freak data corruption accident because I wasn't able to back up! The nerve. If I can't manage to back up, then something's definitely up with the memory stick....

By the way, guys, I also cant connect my PSVita to PC thru USB anymore.. I don't understand why. I tried reinstalling CMA and I got the latest version now and used OpenCMA 5.0. Nope! But wifi works though..

Also, can't I just back up both PSM apps on my PC or PS3, then format my buggy, corrupted memory stick back to normal, restore afterwards, and then reinstall the PSM dev apps I backed up on my PC or PS3? I managed to back up both PSM Dev and PSM Unity on my PS3 and PC. I was just wondering if there would be any kind of issue transferring the PSM dev apps back to PSVitas from PS3/PC that had their memory stick's files fully restored after formatting.

Feel free to input if you guys are also having file corruption issues as well or not. Any help, thoughts, advice or any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks a lot folks. Sorry if this was a rather a reallllly long read lol :mrgreen: Just wanted to explain things thoroughly, ya know. Haha also somewhat vent out the anger at the same time lol. Gotta be as specific as possible so you guys get the picture, to know what I'm up against possibly and perhaps have a solution. I need yer help! I appreciate it.
Advertising
▬ PSVita 1000 » OFW 3.60 → TaiHEN, Adrenaline [Talkman Travel: Tokyo]
▬ PSTV » OFW 3.20 → TN-V [Patapon 2]
▬ PSP Street E1000
▬ PSPgo » CFW 6.60 → PRO-C
▬ PSPslim 3000 » CFW 6.60 → PRO-C
▬ PSPslim 2000 » CFW 5.50 → Prometheus
▬ PSP 1000 » CFW 3.40 → OE-A
Jacob Parkinson

Re: PSVita file corruption problems. Errors. MS is now buggy

Post by Jacob Parkinson »

It does sound alot like file corruption to me. A song caused a Ps vita to crash, rather interesting if this behaviour was monitored a "real" ps vita exploit could be found aposed to the sandboxed ePSP and "Rejuvenate" hack.

Right shedding light on the subject, yes a corruption of a file caused my Windows Laptop Modded to the max to crash. Try and backup only certain data like exploit games, emulators ect. to a PS3 then try and format the card and don't reset the system and don't update.

I had to format my PC's hard drive in order to fix it with a linux pen drive. Count yourself lucky, it could have been the vita soldered 4gb NAND that stores all of the system files. But, thats highly unlikely unless a kernal exploit is found in rejuvenate and someone makes a homebrew with malicious code to delete/corrupt system files.

Anyone reading this please take caution, Please read what Yifan Lu has wrote on his blog about security of eMMC devices.
Advertising
Jacob Parkinson

Post by Jacob Parkinson »

you guys get the picture
Wheres tbe picture?

Just kidding 8-)
NeonAera

Post by NeonAera »

;) I see! Thanks for your input, Jacob! I'll see if I can simply back up the very important files, for sure. I appreciate it, mate.
▬ PSVita 1000 » OFW 3.60 → TaiHEN, Adrenaline [Talkman Travel: Tokyo]
▬ PSTV » OFW 3.20 → TN-V [Patapon 2]
▬ PSP Street E1000
▬ PSPgo » CFW 6.60 → PRO-C
▬ PSPslim 3000 » CFW 6.60 → PRO-C
▬ PSPslim 2000 » CFW 5.50 → Prometheus
▬ PSP 1000 » CFW 3.40 → OE-A

Return to “Programming and Security”