Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Why I think the PS Vita doesn't have a native hack

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
Kryptek

Why I think the PS Vita doesn't have a native hack

Post by Kryptek » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Hey guys I thought I would share MY OPINION and hope to persuade some people who really want the vita side hacked.

First of all, what's the point of a hacked vita? We already have emulators and plugins, and the sweet totally hyped bubbles. I guess maybe some custom themes would be cool?
Hacking the vita will 100% lead to Piracy and to be honest with a device that doesn't have a lot of good AAA games i'm pretty sure that isn't a good idea especially for us who enjoy the vita and respect that Sony at least supports it. No one likes a device that doesn't have support, why do you buy a new phone every 2-3 years? Because companies like
Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc PURPOSELY to that to make money, in return they stop supporting their phone and support their new 'flagship phone' forcing you to buy it.

Secondly if a native vita hack actually gets released and Sony patches it what then? Most people like myself enjoy being on the latest firmware, I enjoy emulators and such but if there is a bonus to being on OFW I would definitely make the change, considering I already have hacked consoles that can probably emulate games better anyways.

Third of all, compared to IOS Jailbreaking or even the Wii Softmod, we have a pretty small hacking community, what I mean is, we don't have a ton of devolopers but the ones we do have are loyal and promising. Think about all the exploits we have had in the past year and the great tutorials and such.

Fourth of all and lastly, a good handful of people enjoy a device that isn't hacked because they might enjoy playing online but their experience could be ruined due to cheaters and botters.

Thanks for reading my thoughts and remember it is just my opinion I respect yours so respect mine.
-Kryptek 8-)
Advertising
[spoiler]surprise!
[/spoiler]

yifanlu
Guru

Re: Why I think the PS Vita doesn't have a native hack

Post by yifanlu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:55 pm

I really hate this whole influx of "ethical" hacking and "political" hacking. It gives people the impression that all hackers have some sort of goal. They want to send some sort of message or whatever. We hack because we like hacking. We like freeing information. We like breaking things. We like to feel superior to the guys who got owned. We are not holy and we are not anarchists. It is not responsibility to keep pirates out as it is not our prerogative to enable piracy. Hacking is amoral and that's why I like it. Telling a hacker not to hack is like telling a gamer to stop playing games.
Advertising

doctorgoat

Post by doctorgoat » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:39 pm

it is just my opinion I respect yours so respect mine.
This isn't a magic shield against bad opinions being called out. If you have an opinion worth stating, you should be willing to discuss it.

Hacking the system to have native homebrew will be a huge power boost over the PSP. Just off clock speed, the Vita can pull 2ghz on 4 cores. The PSP pulls 333mhz tops on one. The PSP chugs on a lot of SNES games, which, admittedly, is partially the emulator's fault. :/
Secondly if a native vita hack actually gets released and Sony patches it what then?
The same thing as always. Another one gets found.
Fourth of all and lastly, a good handful of people enjoy a device that isn't hacked because they might enjoy playing online but their experience could be ruined due to cheaters and botters.
This is always something people whine about with systems and it's shameful. Breaking the system will allow for misuse, but it also allows for use. I'd rather be able to run PS1 games with modifications like the FFIX ATB mod and the FFT FPS fix than have the system be secure.

I'm not even sure the system has anything worth hacking online.

eighthdayregret

Post by eighthdayregret » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:34 pm

Well, the great (maybe not so great) thing about Sony's handling of all the Vita exploits so far is that they force you to update your FW to continue using your Vita's online features, so the cheating and hacking online is a moot point for the foreseeable future. Hack your Vita and refuse to update? No online access.
As far as piracy goes... well... it's gonna be a thing no matter what, and there should be no concern over AAA games for Vita, since Sony already admitted there won't be anymore, and most video game companies are following suit.
And as far as as people not supporting the Vita/game companies if the Vita gets hacked... I don't understand why anyone makes this point. Like ever. About any device. People who don't buy games aren't going to buy games whether a device is hacked or not. No one loses money if it wasn't going to be spent anyway. And if a device IS hacked, the people who don't buy games will still buy the hardware, so some support does exist in that fashion. Part of the reason the PSP sold as well as it did (it's sold as many units as the PS3, despite what some may say about it being a failure), is because of its hackability. It was a relatively inexpensive device that had hacks going for pretty much its entire lifespan and lots of neat things you could do with it. It's not pirates that kill devices and support, it's the people who buy sh*t that determines that. Like I said before, if someone's not gonna spend money on something, they're not gonna spend money on something. You can't lose money you were never going to have.
Plus, look at the PS2. The PS2 was hacked and pirate friendly for almost the entirety of its lifespan, and it was the best-selling console of all time. In fact, they just stopped manufacturing them in 2012 or 2013. It's the longest-supported gaming device (other than PC) in gaming history.
Your cell phone argument is... uneducated. The reason you have a new cellphone every two years is because technology is an ever-changing, ever-advancing industry. Your phone slowing down and being unable to do things over time is because of technological advancements and the limitations of non-upgradeable hardware. You get a new phone every two years because it has a new, faster processor, more RAM, better screen resolutions, better cameras. It's not because of a lack of manufacturer support. Most of the time, support stops because they start to cross the line between functionality and performance. Sure, the latest version of Android may TECHNICALLY work on your phone from 2010, but it's gonna run like sh*t because your phone from 2010 doesn't have as fast of a processor as needed, or not enough RAM.
So, of course, they're gonna focus on their newer phones because, well, THEY WORK.
Vita WiFi/3G - 8GB - 32GB - OFW 3.36 - PS+
GoW PSP-2000 - 2GB - 8GB - 2x16GB - 2x16GB - 6.61 ME-2.3

DarkenLX

Post by DarkenLX » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:16 am

Wait wasn't the web kit exploit a native hack? i could have sworn people were saying that for a while.... yes it was patched in 3.30+.... but psp had the same kind of "Sony patched this or that" fights early on.. unless webkit exploit was not as native as we were first told.?
PsVita 1: OLED Model 3G [3.36] [PSN?: Y]
PsVita 2: OLED Model 3G [mOFW3.00/eCFW] [PSN? :N]

GeminiContractor

Post by GeminiContractor » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 am

Kryptek wrote:First of all, what's the point of a hacked vita? We already have emulators and plugins, and the sweet totally hyped bubbles. I guess maybe some custom themes would be cool?
As far as I know, those emulators and plugins are running inside of the PS Vita's PSP emulator, which means that it is no different from playing a PSP (excluding the obvious hardware differences such as the screen and second analog stick)

By using the full hardware of the PS Vita, you could have better emulators (faster, less problems, etc.), emulators for different consoles (N64, NDS, etc.), plug-ins to change or add features (e.g. getting rid of that auto-sleep 'feature'), homebrew games (though most of them tend not to be that great and usually never make it past alpha/beta), and, yes, custom themes (maybe animated themes?).
Hacking the vita will 100% lead to Piracy and to be honest with a device that doesn't have a lot of good AAA games i'm pretty sure that isn't a good idea especially for us who enjoy the vita
I somewhat agree.
It would seem that the last thing that the PS Vita would need is to be hacked...
However, when the PSP was hacked, if I recall, sales picked up, and, perhaps as a result, more games were made for it.
and respect that Sony at least supports it. No one likes a device that doesn't have support, why do you buy a new phone every 2-3 years? Because companies like Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc PURPOSELY to that to make money, in return they stop supporting their phone and support their new 'flagship phone' forcing you to buy it.
Heh heh heh...
Sony "supports" it, you say?
Sony does not support the PS Vita.
That is why it is in the hole it is in today, despite being superior in every way to its competitor.
Had they actually supported it (making updates that patch PSP exploits and basically calling it an add-on for the PS4 is not supporting it by the way), the PS Vita's game library would not be in such a wretched state.
Secondly if a native vita hack actually gets released and Sony patches it what then? Most people like myself enjoy being on the latest firmware, I enjoy emulators and such but if there is a bonus to being on OFW I would definitely make the change, considering I already have hacked consoles that can probably emulate games better anyways.
You have a choice concerning exploits.
You can either stay on the FW with the exploit(s) or update your FW and potentially lose them.
That is how it works unless/until something like what happened with the PSP happens.

The PS3 has been hacked for...around 4 years now, I think?
They are starting to make slight progress with the later OFW (if I recall, it is actually more that they are bypassing it to allow certain things), but, currently, you still need to have be at or below OFW 3.55 to have access to CFWs 3.55 and higher and their features.

Also, holding onto an exploit, is like holding onto money.
It is okay to a certain point (though that point is unclear), but if you hold onto it too long without using it, it will have been in vain to have it in the first place.
Third of all, compared to IOS Jailbreaking or even the Wii Softmod, we have a pretty small hacking community, what I mean is, we don't have a ton of devolopers but the ones we do have are loyal and promising. Think about all the exploits we have had in the past year and the great tutorials and such.
...and?
Your second point contradicts what you seem to have been implying with the first.
The PS3 had cheaters before the firmware was even hacked, if I recall.

Also, how does any of that have anything to do with your thought that the PS Vita does not have a native hack?
Did you mean to say, 'Why I think the PS Vita shouldn't have a native hack'?
"People cannot change the past. All we can do is to accept our own actions.
If you still wish to be burdened by your sins, let it show in your future actions.
It is your choice how to perceive something that has already happened."

John V. North

Post by John V. North » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Kryptek wrote:First of all, what's the point of a hacked vita? We already have emulators and plugins, and the sweet totally hyped bubbles. I guess maybe some custom themes would be cool?
How about people being able to port such things as Adobe Reader or some Office app to vita? I mean those things are like must have these days (atleast for me), and not being able to use them on my vita and having to carry around a notebook with me most of the time is quite annoying. And these are only the most basic things.

ss4gogeta069

Post by ss4gogeta069 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:40 pm

It's nice to see someone else saying that pirates aren't going to buy games regardless and that hacked consoles sell better. I've been saying this forever. Plus, on the pirate side, devs get exposure they wouldn't have gotten from pirates. I realize it's wrong but it won't change. Pirates will always pirate. The Vita has so much more potential than the PSP that it would be great to see what emulators will do on it. And saying sony supports the Vita is laughable. Sony literally thinks of the Vita as a second screen to play your PS4 on. NOTHING MORE! You're argument has been weighed... it has been measured... and has been found WANTING! :-)
GAME GENIE ROCKS! CHECK IT OUT!
Game Genie Website

fatman01923

Post by fatman01923 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:18 pm

I really don't care about Vita retail games anymore, heck my vita is really just a glorified psp but I do play my retail games from time to time (although I have beaten most). I don't play too much games anymore also but it would be cool to have a fullspeed n64 emulator or even possibly a NDS emulator. A Dreamcast emulator would be a bonus and I would start dumping my games to gdi and make a cdi rip from them to take advantage! In short Vita is a cool device, would be cooler if unlocked for homebrew and emulators. To be able to play Sixth Generation games via wifi without lag in the palm of my hands at great speeds would literally be the ultimate handheld for me. Can't see that happening though lol.

fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:58 am

I am in full agreement with eighthdayregret and GeminiContractor on this one, I was going to go into some long post but yea read theirs^
I will say one thing tho.
Think about all the exploits we have had in the past year
Thats pretty much just qwikz >->D:
fatman01923 wrote: I would start dumping my games to gdi and make a cdi rip from them
Thats a bad idea, gdi is a 1:1 dump of the game while cdi is a selfboot modified copy that almost always has something removed or downsampled/graded in order for the game to fit on a standard 80min CD-R.
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?

Return to “Programming and Security”