Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

openCMA for Linux

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
codestation
Big Beholder

Re: openCMA for Linux

Post by codestation »

Come on people, don't convert this into another distro flamewar.

I fond a big problem with opencma. It leaks memory like crazy when doing a full restore. I am currently trying to restore a 3.2GiB backup onto my new 8GB card and the opencma process is over 2GiB of memory usage (and growing).
Advertising
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

codestation wrote:Come on people, don't convert this into another distro flamewar.

I fond a big problem with opencma. It leaks memory like crazy when doing a full restore. I am currently trying to restore a 3.2GiB backup onto my new 8GB card and the opencma process is over 2GiB of memory usage (and growing).
Heh, I'll look into that. I never did a memory benchmark which I should have done. Can you also run it with tools to see where it's leaking?
Advertising
Last edited by yifanlu on Mon May 06, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Post by SMOKE »

codestation wrote:It leaks memory like crazy when doing a full restore.
Yea, I noticed that too.
I was making a 600 MB backup earlier, and after 2 hours, it wasnt even half way done, so I gave up
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

SMOKE wrote:
codestation wrote:It leaks memory like crazy when doing a full restore.
Yea, I noticed that too.
I was making a 600 MB backup earlier, and after 2 hours, it wasnt even half way done, so I gave up
Are you running it with log enabled, because if you read the README, it says that running with log enabled makes it REALLY slow.
codestation wrote:Come on people, don't convert this into another distro flamewar.

Are you sure it's a leak? By (***) design, I read the entire file into memory before sending it (for some file sends, others are broken up into parts). I didn't have restores in mind. Obviously, I should use mmap, which is what I'm doing right now. https://github.com/yifanlu/VitaMTP/issues/10
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Post by SMOKE »

yifanlu wrote:Are you running it with log enabled, because if you read the README, it says that running with log enabled makes it REALLY slow.
That was the problem, thanks
wth
HBL Developer

Post by wth »

yeah it aways read it all in mem but no pb I have 4G ram lol
mmap seems cool though indeed
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

Okay, I got a quick request for anyone who's willing to help. I don't have the time to make a backup and restore it on my Vita right now, so if someone would do the following:

1) Run opencma with -l 4 logging options
2) Proceed to restore a backup
3) Cancel the restore a few seconds after the progress bar shows up

and send me the log or post it here. I can write code better optimized for backup/restoring. (If the Vita doesn't allow canceling the restore, don't send me all 4GB worth of log data, I only need enough to see how the process works. I think 1000 lines of log would be enough)
codestation
Big Beholder

Post by codestation »

yifanlu wrote: Are you sure it's a leak? By (***) design, I read the entire file into memory before sending it (for some file sends, others are broken up into parts). I didn't have restores in mind. Obviously, I should use mmap, which is what I'm doing right now. https://github.com/yifanlu/VitaMTP/issues/10
Yeah, that should be. I just saw that comment:

Code: Select all

// TODO: Use mmap when sending extra large objects like videos
and the big memory usage made sense. I will post a log in some minutes (i can't right now since i am at work and shouldn't be slacking that much :lol: ).

Offtopic: At 95% i got a OOM error and the OS killed the opencma process. If the restore got interrupted i can assume that the vita contents are corrupted too and i should restore it to factory settings?

Edit: Log file with -l 4 during a restore (i stopped it at ~40MiB) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/289 ... ta.log.zip
Plugin list
Just feel the code..
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

codestation wrote:
yifanlu wrote: Are you sure it's a leak? By (***) design, I read the entire file into memory before sending it (for some file sends, others are broken up into parts). I didn't have restores in mind. Obviously, I should use mmap, which is what I'm doing right now. https://github.com/yifanlu/VitaMTP/issues/10
Yeah, that should be. I just saw that comment:

Code: Select all

// TODO: Use mmap when sending extra large objects like videos
and the big memory usage made sense. I will post a log in some minutes (i can't right now since i am at work and shouldn't be slacking that much :lol: ).

Offtopic: At 95% i got a OOM error and the OS killed the opencma process. If the restore got interrupted i can assume that the vita contents are corrupted too and i should restore it to factory settings?
Hahaha, it actually was a memory leak. Two in fact. One in reading of PSP saves (and media) and another in sending of Vita/backup files. I indirectly allocated memory and forgot to free. should be fixed in next release. (No mmap needed because the only time it sends huge files are when you're sending huge PSP saves like the kingdom hearts data install file).

EDIT: Push committed. I'll wait another couple of days for other bug reports before releasing an update.
codestation
Big Beholder

Post by codestation »

Now my Vita is asking CMA for a update, should i have the psp2-updatelist.xml file in my cma dir? Looks like the embedded xml is invalid since i get a C3-14978-9 error and it doesn't let me use the content manager.

Log file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/289 ... g2.log.zip
Plugin list
Just feel the code..

Return to “Programming and Security”