Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Hypothetical native homebrew. Let's hypothesize!

Open discussions on programming specifically for the PS Vita.
Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
n1nurt4

Hypothetical native homebrew. Let's hypothesize!

Post by n1nurt4 »

Hey there, people. How is everyone? I was hoping to start a thread for hypothetical homebrew or modifications for the vita, just to see what's buzzing around in people's minds. This is NOT a request thread (please spare me your wrath, moderators :) ), so any talk of "please (insert specific dev's name here) make this" is of course unacceptable. Any talk of piracy is also unacceptable, and any of you informed net denizens will surely understand the practicality of that statement.

My corroded two cents: I would love to be able to customize the shape of the little bottle caps on my home screen. Maybe squares, diamond shapes, or even more complicated shapes. Removing the motion of swaying back and forth of the icons (this annoys me) would be cool too. Who wouldn't want to be able to freely transfer data to and from the vita via usb? My last idea at the moment is greater customization options for the position of the icons, i.e. 5,5,5/6,0,6, etc. as well as options to adjust the size of the icons. Perhaps free placement, ergo having the ability to set an icon anywhere on the screen, can be implemented. These are mostly cosmetic changes, sure, but I can scarcely think of anything else that would improve my overall experience while navigating my screen.

So, the question remains... What would you all like to see when native code can be run on the vita?
Advertising
rafael707

Re: Hypothetical native homebrew. Let's hypothesize!

Post by rafael707 »

n1nurt4 wrote: the question remains... What would you all like to see when native code can be run on the vita?
custom coldboot, custom background waves, custom VSH like VSH menu for TN HEN
Advertising
Add me, I got a ps4 ;)

IRC
#pspcommunity
#vitadev

PS4/PS VITA IGN: raff_da_don
Awesome Charlie

Post by Awesome Charlie »

Hi speed, full resolution emulators all the way baby. Full speed N64 on a handheld would be glorious!
My Youtube channel!
My homebrew-able stuff:
PSP Go(N1001) 6.20 Pro-B8 (Permanent)
Wii 4.1 (jailbroken via Smash-Stack Method)
3ds 3.0.0-6 (Supercard Dstwo)
PS Vita 2.02 (waiting on exploit :D)
iPhone 4S 5.1.1 (jailbroken w/Absinthe)
qubix

Post by qubix »

IOS/Android emulator... (probably not possible)
PS2 Emulator (Probably not possible)
Jd8531

Post by Jd8531 »

qubix wrote:IOS/Android emulator... (probably not possible)
I think the closest we will come to that is some kind of theme that changes the UI to make it look like ios or android, other than that I say no dice on running an emulator of those, running as the native OS (atleast on the iOS part no, Android maybe)
yifanlu
Guru

Post by yifanlu »

qubix wrote:IOS/Android emulator... (probably not possible)
PS2 Emulator (Probably not possible)
My dream is that sony releases PS2 classics for Vita so we can do what was done on PSP. (On this topic, it is entirely possible to make a PS2 disk/ISO loader on slim PS3 but the people who know how don't have the time, and I don't have a PS3). Yes, I know many say that this is not possible, but The Vita has 4 CPU cores that can be clocked to 2GHz and 4 GPU cores that can be clocked (AFAIK) to 250Mhz so I'm gonna be optimistic.
Getting Android is just a matter of porting Linux to the Vita, but iOS... there first needs to be significant progress from people trying to run iOS on non-apple devices.
wartaf

Post by wartaf »

yeah, i like that Ps2 on Vita :D

another thing, Communication of PC and Vita (eg. PC remote control/viewer/etc..) or maybe a Linux OS(android or others).
PS Vita white 1.81 FW + eCFW (Gravity Crash Portable)

ako'y isang Pinoy ONE PIECE fan
GonnaGetPSVita

Post by GonnaGetPSVita »

well, emulator is OK, but being able to port native c/c++ project to psvita is FTW :)
then we can do a lot of stuff with it, ie. making better app than paint park, some homebrew/hobby games with better power than PSM, ebook reader with touch control (well it's not impossible to do it on PSM, but slow), etc.
- PSVita 3G / 32GB
- PSVita Wifi / 64GB
- Wacom Cintiq 13HD
- AKG K701
trunk208

Post by trunk208 »

Able to Run Ps2 Emulator :D *if possible*
"A story begins with one step"
n1nurt4

Post by n1nurt4 »

Hmm, several people seem to want ps2 emulators. Let me clarify that while not technically illegal themselves, emulators require that you at least have a digital version of the game you want to play. I doubt that most of the people who'd want a ps2 emulator actually have a ps2 to begin with :roll: ; in any case that's off the table, guys. I was hoping for more responses involving homebrew that somebody makes to have a function, not to play games from a different console. How about an alarm app? I would donate to the dev(s) who come up with that! :P
rafael707 wrote: custom coldboot, custom background waves, custom VSH like VSH menu for TN HEN
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a VSH? What's more, you seem to ignore the fact that when native code can be run, there won't be any need for TN HEN, as I understand that's a homebrew enabler for the PSP emulator within the vita.

Edit: sorry, I think I read your comment incorrectly. It appears that you meant "...custom VSH, like VSH menu...", but I read that as "custom VSH-like VSH menu". My apologies. Still don't know what VSH is, so I'll just look it up :lol:

-----
GonnaGetPSVita wrote:well, emulator is OK, but being able to port native c/c++ project to psvita is FTW :)
then we can do a lot of stuff with it, ie. making better app than paint park, some homebrew/hobby games with better power than PSM, ebook reader with touch control (well it's not impossible to do it on PSM, but slow), etc.
Playstation Mobile is woefully lacking in content. Super Crate Box is literally the only game on there that I have purchased. Sorry, that was off-topic, but more to the point I think that with enough enthusiasm, there may very well be a better alternative to PSM someday.
Last edited by jc_gargma on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Merged double post

Return to “Programming and Security”