Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Having Trouble Running Emulators? Read This! [Tutorial]

VHBL (Vita Half Byte Loader) is an open source tool to load PSP homebrews on the Playstation Vita.
VHBL can be downloaded at http://wololo.net/vhbl
titegtnodI

Having Trouble Running Emulators? Read This! [Tutorial]

Post by titegtnodI »

For NES on Fieldrunners, there are reports of issues to do with loading ROMs. Please post if Nester AOEX works for you or not.

Confirmed list of working exploits:
Click to show
  • GOLOR - SNES9xTYL, Nester AOEX, MasterBoy, gPSP
  • Arcade Darts - SNES9xTYL, Nester AOEX, MasterBoy, gPSP
  • Arcade Pool (& Snooker) - SNES9xTYL, MasterBoy, gPSP
  • AA&B - SNES9xTYL, gPSP
  • Fieldrunners (Latest VHBL) - SNES9xTYL, Nester AOEX, MasterBoy, gPSP
I couldn't help but notice many people seem to be having issues running emulators. I have a pretty comfortable setup myself with gPSP, MasterBoy, Nester AoEX, and SNES9xTYL. So if any of those emulators interest you, I'll explain to you a quick and easy way to get those running. Download everything in the required files, and we'll get started! :D

Note: This tutorial assumes that you already know how to install homebrew, if you don't, please refer to here to find your coresponding tutorial.

Even if you already have one of these emulators, please download my copy as it's setup to support the "ROM Directory Structure" that I've included in this tutorial.
REQUIRED FILES (click to show)
7-zip (If you don't already have it)
ROM Directory Structure (100% required)
SNES9xTYL (For SNES games)
SNES9xTYL (no intro) (For SNES games on Fieldrunners exploit)
Nester AoEX (For NES games)
MasterBoy (For GB / GBC / Sega Master System / Game Gear games)
gPSP (For GBA games)
Setup

If you don't already have 7-zip, please install that now. I'll be including screenshots of 7-Zip to try to assist in it's usage.

Next, extract all of the .7z files to your PSP save directory for your Vita (Should look like PSAVEDATA\cv3e231472f1a122 or something, this is mine).

Adding ROMs
  • Open up the directory "ROMS/ROMS", you should see folders titled gba, gbc, nes, and snes. If there's a type of rom you want that's not included in this folder (like Game Gear), create a folder for that now.
  • Simply add in all the ROMs you want to the directories, this step can be repeated at any time so don't feel pressured to put in every ROM you think you might use.
  • Go to "ROMS" (so one directory up), right-click the subdirectory titled "ROMS", and click "7-Zip -> Add to archive...".
  • Set the archive format to zip, the compression level to store, and the name to "INSTALL.ZIP" (case sensitive) (Screenshot), and press ok
Yay your ROMs are ready for the Vita!

Final Steps

Now you just need to transfer the saves of ROMS, and all the emulators you want to play to your Vita. Then you can just install and play! gPSP is an exception though, you need to extract it's INSTALL.ZIP, download a GBA BIOS (find it via Google, don't PM me for it), add it to the same folder as it's EBOOT.PBP, rezip it using the settings you used before and you're good to go for all of your emulators! :D

If you enjoyed this tutorial and you don't have Dropbox, consider downloading it for free using my referral link :)!
Advertising
Last edited by titegtnodI on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 20 times in total.
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Re: Having Trouble Running Emulators? Read This! [Tutorial]

Post by SMOKE »

The ROMS Directory link is dead
Advertising
titegtnodI

Post by titegtnodI »

SMOKE wrote:The ROMS Directory link is dead
Thanks! Fixed, I guess I moved it right after I linked it >.<.
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Post by SMOKE »

Nice tutorial BTW ;)
titegtnodI

Post by titegtnodI »

SMOKE wrote:Nice tutorial BTW ;)
Thanks! I hope this helps cut down on the hundreds of emulator questions.
mike11239

Post by mike11239 »

I Suck :cry: i keep getting "error while loading rom" everytime i try to play a any rom, i reinstalled everything, but there is a little blue error message about my mem stick when i load up snes emu. i really want to play snes. i did all the instruction here, need help
mike11239

Post by mike11239 »

a quick message in blue says "please verify(something pc adapter) it may be corrupted" as soon as i start the snes emu, and when i load the rom it says "error while loading rom" :cry:
SMOKE
Retired Mod

Post by SMOKE »

mike11239 wrote:a quick message in blue says "please verify(something pc adapter) it may be corrupted" as soon as i start the snes emu, and when i load the rom it says "error while loading rom" :cry:
Sounds like your ROM is corrupted. Try getting a fresh rom from wherever you get them from.
But dont post it here ;)
Booey24

Post by Booey24 »

thanks for the thread. everything including emulators working good now.
Meibs

Post by Meibs »

I have my directory ROMS under vhbl/snes9xTYL/ROMS...it freezes when i click on roms to try and load. Does the ROMS direcory need to be somewhere else? I dont see why it matters, everything installs fine thru 138 menu.

The snes emu is SMOKE's. And i have re-zipped as STORED, but thats kinda obvious since it installed, lol.

EDIT: May have resolved it...be back in a bit after installation...

OK, so rom list loads, but it's the old listing in had and new one combined. No matter what game I try, either a zip or smc file, it does the checking, and error occurs, and kicks back to vita dash.

Return to “Vita Half Byte Loader”