Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[ANNOUNCEMENT] VitaDB - Online database for hbs & plugins

Filippo94

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] VitaDB - Online database for hbs & plugin

Post by Filippo94 »

Rinnegatamante wrote:
Filippo94 wrote:Great, that's just what I felt was missing.
Thanks again for your hard work!
https://twitter.com/Rinnegatamante/stat ... 3410379777
Script is already on, i'm working on long descriptions pushing. Atm, homebrews lacking of long descriptions will show the standard one temporary but in a couple of days all homebrews will have a long description (and screenshots if available in their release posts :P).
That looks great, well done! :D
Advertising
PSP Fat cfw 6.60 Pro-C2
PSVita Fat 3.60 taiHen
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

Just a little statement about a VitaDB ideology change:

Starting from now, homebrews running under oneLua will no longer be advertised on VitaDB.

If you're wondering why, oneLua devs clearly stated that their software is closed source cause they don't want to share their code, insinuating Lua Player Plus on PSP doesn't have certain features just cause their source is closed source (so basically they just think at theirselves without giving a **** about vita devs community even if several features they offer came from opensource code from other devs like the USB code caming from TheFlow, the screen streaming feature caming from my rinCheat [and they didn't even credit me on their website], their vpk builder is a copy-paste of lpp builder, etc etc etc...).
Since Vita scene has born on a share-friendly contest and several homebrews would never exist without several homebrews being open source, i took my decision to ban from my platform any content related to their work.
This will imply a ban on Vita Homebrew Browser too for their homebrews (unless noname120 adds an external database to his homebrew just to support their homebrews).

Proves: https://twitter.com/Rinnegatamante/stat ... 9953372161
Advertising
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
GregoryRasputin

Post by GregoryRasputin »

Rinnegatamante wrote:Just a little statement about a VitaDB ideology change:

Starting from now, homebrews running under oneLua will no longer be advertised on VitaDB.
It is your site and you are entitled to do as you wish, but as you are running a site for end users to find and download homebrew app's, shouldn't you be impartial, there is a lot of *** that comes across my path and homebrew from scummy websites, but i still post about them.
Rinnegatamante wrote:If you're wondering why, oneLua devs clearly stated that their software is closed source cause they don't want to share their code, insinuating Lua Player Plus on PSP doesn't have certain features just cause their source is closed source
There could be many reasons their software is closed source, i believe all software in a scene should be open source, but having it closed source should not be a reason to ban it from your site.

Rinnegatamante wrote:Since Vita scene has born on a share-friendly contest and several homebrews would never exist without several homebrews being open source,
That is not entirely true, when HENkaku was released, there were some homebrews that were closed source and they still are, just before we HENkaku came out, we had a site scamming members of the scene, that did not seem to bother you or other devs, so why should OneLUA keeping their software closed bother you, then we have that same site enforcing its visitors to disable AdBlock and that does not outrage you, so why should it outrage you that a developer is not keeping their software open source?

If you are going to be outraged at one bad thing, be outraged at all bad things :)
Rinnegatamante
VIP

Post by Rinnegatamante »

GregoryRasputin wrote:It is your site and you are entitled to do as you wish, but as you are running a site for end users to find and download homebrew app's, shouldn't you be impartial, there is a lot of *** that comes across my path and homebrew from scummy websites, but i still post about them.
I'm not willing to give visibility to some team disrespecting Vita community. As you can see, on VitaDB there are several closed source projects too like JellyCar or GoHANmem. They clearly stated why they took their projects closed source (OneRice07 is refactoring the code to release it opensource for example) and, first of all, they never broke several licenses (First of all GPLv3/GPLv2) differently to what ONElua staff did more and more times.
Drakon used my audio code for his JellyCar port but he asked me if could have used it in PM before starting working on the PSVITA port, ONElua team took my code several times without even crediting. Nice :)
GregoryRasputin wrote: There could be many reasons their software is closed source, i believe all software in a scene should be open source, but having it closed source should not be a reason to ban it from your site.
They clearly stated they won't open source it cause C code is used by devs to make their own homebrews so ONElua will stay closed source. This, at least here in Italy, means they don't want to share their code even if 90% of their code came from opensource software :D
GregoryRasputin wrote: That is not entirely true, when HENkaku was released, there were some homebrews that were closed source and they still are, just before we HENkaku came out, we had a site scamming members of the scene, that did not seem to bother you or other devs, so why should OneLUA keeping their software closed bother you, then we have that same site enforcing its visitors to disable AdBlock and that does not outrage you, so why should it outrage you that a developer is not keeping their software open source?

If you are going to be outraged at one bad thing, be outraged at all bad things :)
If my code is took in a closed source project breaking MY license (GPLv3) and such author doesn't give a **** about properly crediting AND doesn't ask for authorization then don't think i will stay silent :)
Same happened with zCheat infact months ago.
When you act like a *** being disrepectful in my towards, don't expect me to be respectful in yours.
As for AdBlocks disabling, i generally don't follow any news websites specifically so i'm not into judging them.
And such things are completely unrelated to the topic in my opinion.
If you want, visit my website: http://rinnegatamante.it :D
Joel16

Post by Joel16 »

Rinnegatamante wrote:Just a little statement about a VitaDB ideology change:

If you're wondering why, oneLua devs clearly stated that their software is closed source cause they don't want to share their code, insinuating Lua Player Plus on PSP doesn't have certain features just cause their source is closed source (so basically they just think at theirselves without giving a **** about vita devs community even if several features they offer came from opensource code from other devs like the USB code caming from TheFlow, the screen streaming feature caming from my rinCheat [and they didn't even credit me on their website], their vpk builder is a copy-paste of lpp builder, etc etc etc...).
Since Vita scene has born on a share-friendly contest and several homebrews would never exist without several homebrews being open source, i took my decision to ban from my platform any content related to their work.
This will imply a ban on Vita Homebrew Browser too for their homebrews (unless noname120 adds an external database to his homebrew just to support their homebrews).

Proves: https://twitter.com/Rinnegatamante/stat ... 9953372161
I was gonna make a statement regarding this ages ago. Glad to see someone finally stepping up. I highly doubt they'd code everything in OneLua themselves. This isn't just a disgrace to the VITA community, but also a violation of the terms of open source software (Licenses). I do like the homebrew scene, but I'd always welcome new homebrews, but I'm not going to support this behaviour sorry.
The USB feature easily gives it away.
"Forever in darkness, a guardian devil."

Return to “Homebrews”