Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Child of Light

Discuss official PS Vita games here
Daniel_Davies85

Child of Light

Post by Daniel_Davies85 »

So, anyone else got this yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

My initial thoughts after playing for probably 3 - 4 hours are that the loading times are appalling and the constant rhyming is dreadfully annoying and sometimes really forced which makes it hard to understand what they're talking about.

Aside from those 2 gripes, I like the look and art style of it and the combat system is pretty similar to Grandia's which is one of my all time favourites so I'm happy on that front.

So far, mixed feelings but I'll play on.

Dan.
Advertising
Localhorst86

Re: Child of Light

Post by Localhorst86 »

Picked the complete edition up for like 20€ at the store, the gameplay and graphics are nice, I agree with you on the loading times though.

The rhyming doesn't really bother me, I like how it uses locally different slangs (at least in German it does). All in all, a good game.
Advertising
PSP 3004 1B 6.61-LME 2.3
PSV 1004 3.60 OFW
PSTV 1016 3.60 OFW
Timber

Post by Timber »

I've only played the PC version but the game is pretty good. The artwork is really amazing and it's a joy to play and fly around. I like the battle system too, it's turn based like any typical RPG but the extra elements keeps it from getting too boring. I'm sure the VIta version is pretty good too, are the load times really that bad?
Daniel_Davies85

Timber wrote:I've only played the PC version but the game is pretty good. The artwork is really amazing and it's a joy to play and fly around. I like the battle system too, it's turn based like any typical RPG but the extra elements keeps it from getting too boring. I'm sure the VIta version is pretty good too, are the load times really that bad?
I could make and half eat a sandwich in some of the loading times.

I'm sure that in the grand scheme of things they arent as bad as they seem but in this day and age when people want everything quickly they seem pretty bad.

What I don't get is that I've been told the actual game is only about 10 - 12 hours long. How come a game which is small in comparison to most games these days has such long load times.

I'm no expert on the matter and if anyone can tell me how it works ill gladly read but the way I think about it is that a Vita cartridge has X amount of space, if you cram that space full of content, let's say for arguments sake a 400 hour Skyrim, then load times will be long as there's a lot of data there to sift through to find the correct bit.

If you've only got 12 hours worth of data on that cartridge then there should be little to no load times at all, surely?
mangbhoy

Post by mangbhoy »

Would you recommend this game to a JRPG fan?
"I once had a girl; or should I say she once had me."
- Lennon-McCartney (1965, Norwegian Wood)
hinata

Post by hinata »

mangbhoy wrote:Would you recommend this game to a JRPG fan?
I would. JRPGs and other niche genres are my favourites and I got to say Child of Light is really fun.
PS Vita 1002 - OFW 3.51 Rejuvenate
PS Vita 2002 - OFW 3.60 HENkaku
Vita TV - OFW 3.60 HENkaku
mangbhoy

Post by mangbhoy »

Thanks! Will have a go at this soon.
"I once had a girl; or should I say she once had me."
- Lennon-McCartney (1965, Norwegian Wood)
Daniel_Davies85

I keep getting a load error at a certain point on this.

Anyone else having issues?
hinata

Post by hinata »

Daniel_Davies85 wrote:I keep getting a load error at a certain point on this.

Anyone else having issues?
Where about?

Been playing this on and off while playing Borderlands 2 and I haven't run into any errors so far.
PS Vita 1002 - OFW 3.51 Rejuvenate
PS Vita 2002 - OFW 3.60 HENkaku
Vita TV - OFW 3.60 HENkaku
Daniel_Davies85

Upon starting the battle with Nox it crashed out twice. Once it gave me an error message and the next it just went blank and wouldn't load.

Got passed it now so hopefully no more errors will occur.

Return to “Games”