Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Thoughts on Soul Sacrifice (Killer App or not)

Discuss official PS Vita games here

Do you think Soul Sacrifice is the "Killer App" the Vita has needed?

Yes, it is a system seller!
26%
Its a must buy that might help Vita sales.
43%
Just another average Vita game.
29%
This game is horrible/boring/repetitive.
3%
Nothing Sony does can save the Vita.
No votes

Total votes: 35

Telgardrakore

Thoughts on Soul Sacrifice (Killer App or not)

Post by Telgardrakore »

So i just downloaded the demo a few hours ago and have been playing it non stop. I plan on purchasing the game later tonight when I hit the wall in the demo (The demo sold me and I'm not even done with it yet!).

I wanted to know what everyone's' thoughts on the game was. So far i think the combat is freaking fantastic with some very small quirks about the targeting system (It really sucks using shields against small frame creatures), and the spell system is second to none, I literally cannot think of a single system more diverse AND enjoyable then this one at the moment (Megaman Mavrick Hunter X Vile's special ability system is the only one close I can think of, Skyrim/Oblivion did not have enough diversity since almost everything was an elemental clone of another spell, or a support spell that was almost never used). The levels are really bad though, and I cant overlook that, but its only a small mark since the game was not necessarily designed to have expansive levels and is a new IP (but Soul Sacrifice 2 HAS TO HAVE Monster Hunter/God Eater Burst level design to redeem itself). Creatures seem to repeat a lot as well, which is ok in God Eater/Monster Hunter because of the gathering/exploration aspects but is not ok in this game because the combat is the whole point here.

All In all I do not think this game is a "#1 must buy the Vita for" game, but I do think it is a must buy for anyone that already has a Vita as well as a very good alternative to Monster Hunter for the Vita since Sony **** up hardcore loosing the licence to Nintendo.

So what are your thoughts everyone? Do you think this game is a killer app? Do you think it needs a boat load of DLC/Multiplayer missions to keep it fresh? Do you think Soul Sacrifice wont be a AAA title until its sequel SS2 comes out (Which is already in talks with Sony, so chances are very high if SS sells well enough there will be a sequel)?

Also totally forgot, now that I have the full game I can do online missions now. PSN: Telgardrakore
Advertising
Last edited by Telgardrakore on Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whaleiam

Re: Thoughts on Soul Sacrifice (Killer App or not)

Post by whaleiam »

in my opinion, this game is a must buy for the VITA, but a system seller?...maybe not..
Advertising
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

From what I've seen/heard about the game so far, it is definitely something that I would want to play. Engaging story, nice sense of humor, decent at least gameplay: it's a good game.
Is it a system seller? I'd say no, simply because it is the first of a franchise and not well known. A new and Vita-exclusive Monster Hunter or Gods Eater for example would be a system seller, but I doubt a game of an unknown franchise.
As for Sony not being able to do anything to save the Vita? Umm, no. Just start properly rolling out system updates that have actual improvements in them, and include PS3, PS4 and why not PC streaming, and it's going to be a rather good console even without many games for it.
Casavult

Post by Casavult »

I would say it looks like a good game, if anything just a average Vita game but not a system seller.
• PS4Pro 2TB OFW • PS3 3k 1TB OFW • PS3 Slim 2k 500GB 4.84.2 DEX Rebug • PS3 Slim 2k 250GB 4.84.2 CEX Rebug •
• PSV 1k 32GB 3.60 HENkaku • 3x PSP 2k (TA-085v1) 128GB 6.60 ME-2.3 • PSP 2k (TA-085v2) 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3 •
Telgardrakore

Post by Telgardrakore »

Xian Nox wrote:As for Sony not being able to do anything to save the Vita? Umm, no. Just start properly rolling out system updates that have actual improvements in them, and include PS3, PS4 and why not PC streaming, and it's going to be a rather good console even without many games for it.
See I wholly disagree with that idea that all you need to do is just keep updating the Vita with improvements and it will sell. We have had a ton of improvements and even a Youtube app/HTML video capability, and yet the Vita is still floundering on life support. I think your second comment though is something the Vita needs sorely, PS3 and PS4 streaming with EVERY GAME, not just less games then I can count on both hands. Give us complete PS3 crossplay, To-PC stream capabilities like to twitch.tv or video capture for youtube, or heck just give us a **** Vita to HDMI cable or wireless transceiver to broadcast to TV. Any of those things would improve the Vita's sell ability more then "Just another Vita Firmware". heck just give me the ability to WATCH Twitch.tv and that alone would make me dig the vita out more often then I already do.

I want this system to do well and survive so badly, but I think Sony is still scr..ing it up.
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Those were features that were supposed to be on the device at launch, not some time and one complete firmware revision later. That being said, I don't consider them to be any actual new features.
Telgardrakore

Post by Telgardrakore »

Xian Nox wrote:Those were features that were supposed to be on the device at launch, not some time and one complete firmware revision later. That being said, I don't consider them to be any actual new features.
Good point there, they were supposed to be released on launch.
Uzku

Post by Uzku »

The gameplay is well done and if you like these kind of games I think it´s pretty much a system seller. there are not many games of this kind out there (Ragnarok fails to deliver) and this one guarantees decent multiplayer, strange but nice story and TONS of spells. The demo left me a bit cold but the complete game is simply fantastic. Best game for the vita with Persona 4 and wipeout 2048 imho.

id. chomski79 if anyone wants to add me to play it.

cheers
nazar_ops

Post by nazar_ops »

Soul Sacrifice is a really awesome fun game. The story is entertaining too! But it would be better if this game had more open world environment. Otherwise, i am totally digging this game. If anyone needs a CO-OP partner, add me on PSN.

PSN: Nazar_Ops
PS VITA 1000-PCH WIFI Model
PS VITA 2000-PCH Lime Green & White WIFI Model

Check out my YT channel. I do PS VITA commentaries, unboxings and more =)

Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCippbNLSEHdlIGuxVAY8L2w
Telgardrakore

Post by Telgardrakore »

Im really suprised how many people think this is the killer app we have been waiting for. I have had a lot of positive experiences with this game so far, but the monster diversity and boss diversity is really frightening me. It seems to me like there are only 11 Monster bosses (7 deadly sins and a handful of mini bosses). If this game really does have a quarter of the bosses, a quarter of the mobs, and no open world like monster hunter or god eater burst then this game might start growing repetitive faster then I thought. The only shining light here so far is that when you fight sorcerers as bosses they can have a very diverse weapon set since they use anything you can use, but their AI is limited to just running around and standing to cast. Im just glad the weapon system is as such that you can farm to improve them much like in monster hunter, which gives a very much needed side objective to burn time.

I actually think this game is more likely to make me want to replay MHFU or buy god eater burst if anything.

Return to “Games”