Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

callin all final fantasy fans

Discuss official PS Vita games here
jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Re: callin all final fantasy fans

Post by jc_gargma » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:35 am

JonathanH wrote:Final Fantasy 9 is more true to the first couple of games (SNES), but it doesn't have limit breaks so lame :)
Trance seemed like Limit Breaks to me.
Advertising

xentar

Post by xentar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:26 am

Yeah trance is the limit break system in IX. Personally I can't stand it because it auto activates so you can't save it for boss battles etc.
Advertising
PS Vita wifi 2.02 uno TN-C eCFW| PS Vita 3g 3.00 ofw| PS3 Slim Rogero 4.46 CEX| PSP-3000 03g 6.20 PRO-B10 | PSP Go 05g 6.20 PRO-B10

jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:29 am

The FF7 system was pretty unreliable. By the time you had any decent level, you had to masochistically let enemies hurt you to build it up at a decent rate, and only characters with multi-hit Limit Breaks mattered. Single hit ones get useless fast with the 9999 damage cap. Its too bad you were locked to a Limit Break tier during battles and couldn't pick from all of them. Some of the lower tier ones were quite versatile.
FF8 though, you could bring down Lionhearts or The Ends at the drop of a hat. *giggles*

indigo

Post by indigo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:40 am

ff8 & 9 got very nice card game ...im kinda like it XD

zero7starz

Post by zero7starz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:24 pm

I have only played FF8, 10, 12, and 13 all the way through. I started 7 and 9 but never finished for one reason or another (I do plan to finish them.)

I did really like FF8, it is different and it feels (at least at the beginning) more like a quest based game then most RPGs I was used to. However, I find that their Junction system for upgrading skills and HP among other things, is one of the most unique in the series. Also, the Draw feature for steeling magic from monsters is incredibly cool. I had so much magic the mid game that I kicked too much *** and boss fights because way too easy. But, it is really cool to scavenge different beasts for different magic, to discover new magic, and find creative ways to stockpile that magic once you find it. It also teaches you which monsters are of which elements, and what debuffs work really well in general or only on specific targets. (Really specify and mold your magic.)

Plus, the graphics are decent for being a PS1 game, they have all the support magic beings (idk the series word for these characters like Shiva and Odin they're different game to game.) FF8 has one of the best voted love stories of many video games, and alot of puzzles to figure out. I've played it over and over.
I would recommend grabbing a walkthrough on GameFAQs, some things are hidden and you don't wanna miss them! Just a word of advice.

jc_gargma
Retired Mod

Post by jc_gargma » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:13 pm

zero7starz wrote:some things are hidden and you don't wanna miss them! Just a word of advice.
Doom Train ftw. \(^_^)/

xentar

Post by xentar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:05 pm

One thing about FFVIII's draw system that really annoyed me was when trying to get 99 of all the really good magic from bosses early...usually at 1 per draw from your characters with lower magic stats -.-; it just seemed to take forever. Because of that I never really used high level magic unless it was really needed (which is kinda isn't) just so I could have the crazy stats from junctions and steam roll stuff.

I might download this game now and try a different play style. As is, it's the only ff I've played only on emuulators after my first play through (so I could draw at 1000% speed ^^)
PS Vita wifi 2.02 uno TN-C eCFW| PS Vita 3g 3.00 ofw| PS3 Slim Rogero 4.46 CEX| PSP-3000 03g 6.20 PRO-B10 | PSP Go 05g 6.20 PRO-B10

mecksg1

Post by mecksg1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 am

Personally I love ff6, 7 and 9. They were awsome. Very addicted to ff9 thou right now. But you cant go wrong with any of them

zero7starz

Post by zero7starz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:51 am

xentar wrote:One thing about FFVIII's draw system that really annoyed me was when trying to get 99 of all the really good magic from bosses early...usually at 1 per draw from your characters with lower magic stats -.-; it just seemed to take forever. Because of that I never really used high level magic unless it was really needed (which is kinda isn't) just so I could have the crazy stats from junctions and steam roll stuff.

I might download this game now and try a different play style. As is, it's the only ff I've played only on emuulators after my first play through (so I could draw at 1000% speed ^^)
I know exactly what you're talking about. What I started doing was letting my high magic stat characters draw all the magic and I transferred it to others. It also depends on how you junction them. I never left them keep their junctions, I'd swap them out as needed. Eventually after I collected all the (I'm sorry I don't remember what those characters are called) I'd have so many junction to each party member that they all had pretty elevated stats.

TheodoreTed

Post by TheodoreTed » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 am

FF9!!! It can't be transcended...

Return to “Games”