Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Coding drivers for an USB Cam :D

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
kmanev07

Coding drivers for an USB Cam :D

Post by kmanev07 »

Hello guys !
After a long pause in my PSP hacking scene :D (yea my own) i decided to strat my project for homemade USB cam if there is someone who would like to work with me :P mainly... last time i suceded getting power for the camera and i even made video but youtube deleted it :/ anyway the main problem is the driver :p if we succede in making some homebrew app that can control the power supply for the camera and can act like adriver IT WILL BE AWESOME :)

thats all... do you think it is possible ? for sure i will have find the documentation for the camera and then somehow make it work for the psp... i know it is not simple :ugeek:

*EDIT* i think we could even use java for the "homebrew driver" and then use java emulator :D (i dont know jave but i will learn it. that is not problem)

*EDIT 2* WTF see thsi http://www.ehow.com/how_8014494_make-ho ... amera.html sorry for the outside link
Advertising
codestation
Big Beholder

Re: Coding drivers for an USB Cam :D

Post by codestation »

Let me try to understand: do you want to adapt a regular webcam and use it instead of the official PSP Go!Cam?
Advertising
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..
JJS
Big Beholder

Post by JJS »

The PSP hardware cannot act as an USB host, only as a device. Therefore you cannot simply connect any regular USB device to the PSP, it will simply not work.
kmanev07 wrote:EDIT 2* WTF see thsi http://www.ehow.com/how_8014494_make-ho ... amera.html sorry for the outside link
WTF indeed.
kmanev07

Post by kmanev07 »

i want to make a normal USB camera (external) the official GoCam is too expensive :D codestation

-----
JJS wrote:The PSP hardware cannot act as an USB host, only as a device. Therefore you cannot simply connect any regular USB device to the PSP, it will simply not work.
i know that i have tried it ^^^ :geek: i was wondering if i could make a driver... you say i cant... yea i know the PSP is slave... so it just cant control the usb or something... i dont understand how device drivers work actually (mainly USB ones) :D
Last edited by jc_gargma on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
SixSixSevenSeven

Post by SixSixSevenSeven »

kmanev07 wrote:i want to make a normal USB camera (external) the official GoCam is too expensive :D codestation

-----
JJS wrote:The PSP hardware cannot act as an USB host, only as a device. Therefore you cannot simply connect any regular USB device to the PSP, it will simply not work.
i know that i have tried it ^^^ :geek: i was wondering if i could make a driver... you say i cant... yea i know the PSP is slave... so it just cant control the usb or something... i dont understand how device drivers work actually (mainly USB ones) :D
USB communications rotate around a host and device architecture, or master and slave if you will. A webcam is only ever a USB device, it can only ever communicate with a host. Device to device communication is not possible, PSP is device only. It simply cannot control a USB device, the gocam is actually a USB host I think so really your connecting the PSP to the camera rather than a camera to the PSP.

USB OTG complicates that a little. A USB OTG device can support being either host or device. This is often a feature on android phones (although there is a second way that android phones can use to accomplish this using pinmuxing and a seperate USB host and device chip on their CPU). A micro USB cable has 5 pins in its connector, regular USB has only 4. By default a micro USB cable has the 5th pin disconnected entirely and the android device is a USB device. But if you short the 5th pin to ground it switches mode and the USB device port becomes USB host. You can buy cables which had a micro USB plug and a full USB socket so you can connect a USB device to an android phone or tablet, I used one with a USB hub which then had a USB mouse, keyboard and xbox 360 controller connected on a nexus 7. The PSP doesnt support this though.
DS_Marine
Developer

Post by DS_Marine »

So...you would need a PIC with usb support, than can act as a host for the psp AND a host for the camera...and then know how to translate the packets between them. Looks like too much work
ImagePSP-Controlled drone
"Hackers don't have superpowers. Just a hackable PSP and a brain (ships by default on most humans models)" -Wololo
kmanev07

Post by kmanev07 »

well maybe the gocam really is a host but... then look at the files in flash0:/kd/ there is also a library "usbmic.prx" wtf ? i think sony has something hidden here... maybe the gocam says hello to the psp when it is connected and the PSP is developed to recognize only gocam (i mean the PSP can only handshake with the gocam it just doesnt recognize the other webcams) thats my theory... if i am right... i think we can do some more things...
noname120
Developer

Post by noname120 »

Reverse engineer anything you need to prove your theory...
If you don't have the knowledge for this then creating a driver is far beyond your abilities.
Funny stuff
<yifanlu> I enjoy being loud and obnoxious
<yifanlu> rooting an android is like getting a hooker pregnant
<xerpi> I sometimes think I should leave all this stressing **** and be a farmer instead
kmanev07

Post by kmanev07 »

noname120 wrote:Reverse engineer anything you need to prove your theory...
If you don't have the knowledge for this then creating a driver is far beyond your abilities.
exactly !!! ^^^ this is going to be the biggest reverse engeneering project i have ever done :P (if i succede ofc...) thank you for not telling me i am wrong but instead you said just to proof what i think ;)

Return to “Programming and Security”