Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Request for Help - Modding a .PCK file

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
spewfr

Re: Request for Help - Modding a .PCK file

Post by spewfr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Xian Nox wrote:You can patch things as they get loaded in memory (think how cwcheat works).
I tell you again, this is like Japanese to me. Please explain? I would be so grateful :3
Advertising

preloader

Post by preloader » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Honestly, I don't know. Before saying something I have to analyze file. Btw, do you know any programming language ? Do you know any about encryption, decryption ?
Advertising

Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:52 pm

spewfr wrote:
Xian Nox wrote:You can patch things as they get loaded in memory (think how cwcheat works).
I tell you again, this is like Japanese to me. Please explain? I would be so grateful :3
What you're trying to do is mod the game files.
files (modded) --> memory (modded) --> gameplay (modded)
What I was meaning to do is like this:
files --> memory (modded) --> gameplay (modded)
This is how translation patches work for example.
preloader wrote:Honestly, I don't know. Before saying something I have to analyze file.
It may be encrypted, have custom archiving, or a non-standard structure. Each game/game developer uses different things.

spewfr

Post by spewfr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 pm

preloader wrote:Honestly, I don't know. Before saying something I have to analyze file. Btw, do you know any programming language ? Do you know any about encryption, decryption ?
Psht, I know what C++ is, I can write a good batch script or two, JavaScript doesn't count, neither does HTML....
Back to topic. Anybody else?
Xian Nox wrote:What you're trying to do is mod the game files.
So, I try and find how the game decrypts the files itself...?

Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

spewfr wrote:So, I try and find how the game decrypts the files itself...?
This would require reversing part of the game, and would take you a lot.
Go into a game, start a mission, or make sure that the thing you want to mod is loaded, dump memory, search memory, patch memory.

preloader

Post by preloader » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Xian Nox wrote:
spewfr wrote:
What you're trying to do is mod the game files.
preloader wrote:Honestly, I don't know. Before saying something I have to analyze file.
It may be encrypted, have custom archiving, or a non-standard structure. Each game/game developer uses different things.
@Xian Nox, I think he is trying to moding internal game files from source. @spewfr you said, "I just extracted some files from the PS2 version of the game, very similar, although there are random audio clips in the PSP version, and more TGA (gimp image) files in the PS2 version... Ravioloi can take out some files, but not all, and most of them are broken anyhow." how did you do that ? With script ? or compiled executable ? If it's compiled executable Maybe you can decompile or disassemble this executable and you can get usefull informations about file processing/decrypting/unpacking ".pck" files

spewfr

Post by spewfr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:10 pm

preloader wrote:how did you do that ? With script ? or compiled executable ? If it's compiled executable Maybe you can decompile or disassemble this executable and you can get usefull informations about file processing/decrypting/unpacking ".pck" files
No, see, the file structure of the ISO is TDU.ISO > PSP_GAME > USRDIR > TDUPSP.PCK
The file is not inside of the EBOOT. and I thought you couldn't disassemble executable binaries without the source :P
Also I think that the PSP version is encrypted less(er?) than the PS2 version, as most of the files are broken. But all I know is that I got some basic files from the PSP version, that were NOT broken.
Ravioli just searches for files within the PCK; it does not know what kind of file a PCK is.
Xian Nox wrote: Go into a game, start a mission, or make sure that the thing you want to mod is loaded, dump memory, search memory, patch memory.
This is not what I'm trying to accomplish though; I want to unpack everything so that I can see what there is to mod ^u^

Draan

Post by Draan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:00 am

It was already said, but I'll try to make it clearer.

The file you're trying to mess with appears to be custom format. In order to read (and change) it properly, you'd need to reverse engineer the game's executable in order to figure out the format.

And I'm afraid that if you had the required skills to do that, you wouldn't create this topic.

In conclusion:
I'm sorry for being harsh, but the wisest move now would be giving up. It's really not worth the effort.

hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Try getting a full RAM dump and looking for the contents, you might be able to gather some info there
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"

PSPcfwDUDE

Post by PSPcfwDUDE » Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 am

Sorry for bumping a month-old thread.

There was once a TDU.PCK Extractor over at PSPRipKits.com, but that site got down, so there's no way of getting it.

EDIT 1: You could try CoRE, a tool for Commandos games -- It could work with TDU.PCK: http://www.tafn.info/phpscripts/filesdb ... hp?file=64

Return to “Programming and Security”