Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

[Tutorial] Python PSP Programming

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
saiyan x

Re: [Tutorial] Python PSP Programming

Post by saiyan x »

Wizardinblack wrote:This is a pretty cool tutorial, even though i am not a very big fan of python. are there any ways you know of that would allow me to write code for psp using c++?
I might be late but here you go
http://forums.pspslimhacks.com/threads/ ... -1-3.7940/

and as C is pretty similar to C++, if you want check these out too

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/PSP_Programming
http://forums.qj.net/guides-psp-develop ... rials.html
Advertising
Arcadeistan

Post by Arcadeistan »

1. Can a game be easily packaged and distributed to PSP fans who have softmod, and easily download and play it?

2. Is this basically pygame for PSP?

3. Where is the documentation for everything, eg. input, sound, etc etc

4. Is this preferable to programming 2D games than Lua Player?
Advertising
Jxx

Post by Jxx »

i've got a visual novel game i've been playing, it was made in python, how much work would it take to port to psp?
RIP vita
alex0809

Post by alex0809 »

Hello there,
What are some common good practices that a beginner programmer should learn and practice?
Thank you for your help.
Acid_Snake
Retired Mod

Post by Acid_Snake »

Arcadeistan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:11 am 1. Can a game be easily packaged and distributed to PSP fans who have softmod, and easily download and play it?

2. Is this basically pygame for PSP?

3. Where is the documentation for everything, eg. input, sound, etc etc

4. Is this preferable to programming 2D games than Lua Player?
1. Yes. You can easily package all files into a distributable package. Basically you just package the Python interpreter (EBOOT.PBP) and all your files (.py, .jpg, etc).

2. NO. It uses its own 2D library for PSP. HOWEVER, there is a pygame wrapper so you can test all your PSP Python homebrews directly on PC (no recompiling :D).

3. There is none. I had to check the APIs and play around with it to know how to do things.

4. Not really, I find Lua to be faster and better documented by the scene, however Python as a language offers a lot more capabilities.

Jxx wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 am i've got a visual novel game i've been playing, it was made in python, how much work would it take to port to psp?
Depends on the complexity of such game. I'm guessing it is written in pygame, which should not be complicated to port to PSP.
There is a Python for PSP to Pygame wrapper allowing you to play Python PSP games on PC directly using pygame, however I don't think the opposite exists so you'd have to rewrite the game to use Python PSP's 2D library instead of pygame.

alex0809 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:21 pm Hello there,
What are some common good practices that a beginner programmer should learn and practice?
Thank you for your help.
I few I can think of:

- Don't write too much code in the same place; keep your functions and classes small and simple.

- Never have the same lines of code duplicated; use functions, OOP inheritance or whatever needed to allow for code reuse.

- Comment your code, but avoid useless comments, make sure you explain what it does, not how you're doing it.
** useless comment -> my_var++; // increment counter
** useful comment -> my_var++; // keep track of inserted element

- Don't reinvent the wheel; use third party GPL libraries whenever needed instead of your own code

- Use third party libraries through interfaces, this makes it easier to later change the library without changing your entire code.

- Keep code formatting style concise and clean; use tabulation/space, always use the same style, etc...
* To clarify, there's a lot of coding styles (specially in languages with C-syntax), they are all equally great so pick whichever, but only pick one.

- Always think that it's easier to read your own code than someone else's code. Keep in mind that if you have a hard time reading your own code then another person will have it worse.

- Last but not least: Saint Google is there to save you.

Return to “Programming and Security”