Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Preventing piracy...

Discuss security issues on computers here.
Content that is judged "dangerous" might be removed without prior notice
Post Reply
Nickolas
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:14 pm
Location: In a black hole...

Preventing piracy...

Post by Nickolas » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:20 pm

This is probably not security-related. Feel free to move it. I've developed a small indie game which I want to sell (on CD's). How do I protect it from being pirated? Also, how do I protect my code and artwork from being copied? Also, could somebody explain to me how commercial games determine whether you have the original CD inserted and not a pirated version of it? Thanks in advance! :)
Advertising
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
codestation
Big Beholder
Posts: 1660
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:45 pm
Location: /dev/negi

Re: Preventing piracy...

Post by codestation » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Nickolas wrote: I've developed a small indie game which I want to sell (on CD's). How do I protect it from being pirated?
You can't. Even big corporations have trouble from keeping their games from being cracked (see any popular torrent site).
Nickolas wrote:Also, how do I protect my code and artwork from being copied?
Code? depends on the language you are developing. Using Java/C# has biggest change for the code for being decompiled (see minecraft mods). Artwork? If you are talking about logos and similar then there is little that one can do aganist a screenshot, if is about game resources (skins, some audio, models, etc) then you could try to make your own encrypted virtual filesystem like a lot of games are using. Of course this doesn't help too much aganist a skilled reverser (take a look at the xentax forums, you can find a lot of skilled people who can extract resources from the most popular games).
Nickolas wrote:Also, could somebody explain to me how commercial games determine whether you have the original CD inserted and not a pirated version of it? Thanks in advance! :)
Well, they have special disks and CD writters who can write special sectors on the disk that conventional writers cannot, then the game checks them.

IMO, just forget about DRM, they make things more complicated for your users. If you atill want to go that route then you could try the watermark approach. Personalize every build in a way that the signature cannot be completly found and removed so if your game ever gets pirated then at least you can know what customer did it to you.
Advertising
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..

Nickolas
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:14 pm
Location: In a black hole...

Re: Preventing piracy...

Post by Nickolas » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:15 pm

codestation wrote:
Nickolas wrote: I've developed a small indie game which I want to sell (on CD's). How do I protect it from being pirated?
You can't. Even big corporations have trouble from keeping their games from being cracked (see any popular torrent site).
Nickolas wrote:Also, how do I protect my code and artwork from being copied?
Code? depends on the language you are developing. Using Java/C# has biggest change for the code for being decompiled (see minecraft mods). Artwork? If you are talking about logos and similar then there is little that one can do aganist a screenshot, if is about game resources (skins, some audio, models, etc) then you could try to make your own encrypted virtual filesystem like a lot of games are using. Of course this doesn't help too much aganist a skilled reverser (take a look at the xentax forums, you can find a lot of skilled people who can extract resources from the most popular games).
Nickolas wrote:Also, could somebody explain to me how commercial games determine whether you have the original CD inserted and not a pirated version of it? Thanks in advance! :)
Well, they have special disks and CD writters who can write special sectors on the disk that conventional writers cannot, then the game checks them.

IMO, just forget about DRM, they make things more complicated for your users. If you atill want to go that route then you could try the watermark approach. Personalize every build in a way that the signature cannot be completly found and removed so if your game ever gets pirated then at least you can know what customer did it to you.
Free it is then... :) I have a backup plan; donations :D Thanks for answering Codestation.
Image
Image
Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Security”