Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

backing up a game with SecuROM protection?

Discuss security issues on computers here.
Content that is judged "dangerous" might be removed without prior notice
Halvhjearne

backing up a game with SecuROM protection?

Post by Halvhjearne » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:50 am

ok heres the deal...

i got kinda sick of always needing my GTA IV: EFLC disc in my drive whenever i want to play it, so i thought why not just make an iso and load from that?

but apparently this game has some SecuROM protection, and it therefore fails, whenever i try to run the game, from the iso i make ... :(

i understand that this protection writes some unique code in a certian secton of the disc, that makes it harder to replicate.
so my question is this: is it even possible to make an exact clone of this disc that will work, or do i actually need to apply a patch to the executable file for this?
Advertising
Dr. Evil wrote:I used to use Windows, but it was designed by freakin' idiots.
Now i use linux allowing me to conrol the "lasers" on my "death star" with ease.
I'm Dr. Evil, and I'm aspiring to take over the world.

ViP3R

Re: backing up a game with SecuROM protection?

Post by ViP3R » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Halvhjearne wrote:ok heres the deal...

i got kinda sick of always needing my GTA IV: EFLC disc in my drive whenever i want to play it, so i thought why not just make an iso and load from that?

but apparently this game has some SecuROM protection, and it therefore fails, whenever i try to run the game, from the iso i make ... :(

i understand that this protection writes some unique code in a certian secton of the disc, that makes it harder to replicate.
so my question is this: is it even possible to make an exact clone of this disc that will work, or do i actually need to apply a patch to the executable file for this?
I believe, copying it will be a violation. I saw it on the intro text - "Copying, reverse engineering..." blah blah blah on the first screen text when you start the game. And I think the only way to get around this is to apply an exe fix, which is used the same by pirated copies. :|
Advertising
Goodbye, Captain John "Soap" Mactavish
And Goodbye, Joe Frazier - thanks for encouraging me to have my own PSP

Halvhjearne

Post by Halvhjearne » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:36 pm

ViP3R wrote: I believe, copying it will be a violation. I saw it on the intro text - "Copying, reverse engineering..." blah blah blah on the first screen text when you start the game. And I think the only way to get around this is to apply an exe fix, which is used the same by pirated copies. :|
i can make a legal backup of my games as long as i own the original ... selling copies or distributing a cracked exe file is illegal, and thats why im not asking for any of that

besides ... im interested in applying any patch or use a hacked/patched exe file on a game i bought and paid for, i just want to make a working iso to play from my harddrive ;)

if its not possible, then its really not a problem for me ... i just wanted to get rid of the dang dvd in the drive as its a bit noisy on a water cooled pc :mrgreen:
Now i use linux allowing me to conrol the "lasers" on my "death star" with ease.

codestation
Big Beholder

Post by codestation » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Halvhjearne wrote:i can make a legal backup of my games as long as i own the original ...
It depends on the country where one lives but yeah, this drm thing is getting worst everyday.

Use the free version of Alcohol 52% to make a backup of your game, here is a tutorial explaining it http://club.myce.com/f80/how-make-copy- ... -a-258882/
Plugin list
Working on: QPSNProxy, QCMA - Open source content manager for the PS Vita
Playing: Error: ENOTIME
Repositories: github, google code
Just feel the code..

Halvhjearne

Post by Halvhjearne » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:14 pm

codestation wrote: It depends on the country where one lives but yeah, this drm thing is getting worst everyday.
ofcourse ..
codestation wrote:Use the free version of Alcohol 52% to make a backup of your game, here is a tutorial explaining it http://club.myce.com/f80/how-make-copy- ... -a-258882/
thanks for the link ... as i understand this,it is possible to emulate this copy protection somehow

think ill just have to read a bit more on this ...

Return to “Security”