Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Can one encrypt a DLL with custom encryption?

Discuss security issues on computers here.
Content that is judged "dangerous" might be removed without prior notice
Nickolas

Can one encrypt a DLL with custom encryption?

Post by Nickolas »

I wasn't sure if I should post this in Security or Programming but I guess that is closer to Security. Anyway, is there a specific standard for .dll files or is there a way to apply my own encryption algorithm?
Advertising
m0skit0
Guru

Re: Can one encrypt a DLL with custom encryption?

Post by m0skit0 »

DLLs are not encrypted, so there's no "standard". You can use what you wish. Just keep in mind that when you want to execute them, you'll obviously have to decrypt them. Windows will not decrypt DLLs for you, and you cannot run encrypted DLLs for obvious reasons.

If you're searching for a "security" feature, then this is not one. First, you'll have to include key and algorithm for decryption (from which the encryption algorithm can be also deduced, btw) on on your application, and also anyone can retrieve the unencrypted DLL from RAM.
Advertising
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"
Nickolas

Post by Nickolas »

m0skit0 wrote:DLLs are not encrypted, so there's no "standard". You can use what you wish. Just keep in mind that when you want to execute them, you'll obviously have to decrypt them. Windows will not decrypt DLLs for you, and you cannot run encrypted DLLs for obvious reasons.

If you're searching for a "security" feature, then this is not one. First, you'll have to include key and algorithm for decryption (from which the encryption algorithm can be also deduced, btw) on on your application, and also anyone can retrieve the unencrypted DLL from RAM.
OK, so to decrypt, I have to create another program, or use the program that uses the DLL for the decryption proccess. Thanks m0skit0.
m0skit0
Guru

Post by m0skit0 »

Nickolas wrote:OK, so to decrypt, I have to create another program, or use the program that uses the DLL for the decryption proccess. Thanks m0skit0.
That's it. You're welcome.
I wanna lots of mov al,0xb
"just not into this RA stuffz"

Return to “Security”