Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Dot Net Anywhere ported to PSP

Forum rules
Forum rule Nº 15 is strictly enforced in this subforum.
mattanna

Dot Net Anywhere ported to PSP

Post by mattanna »

Hi all,

I don't know is anyone will really care, but I recently ported the Dot Net Anywhere interpreter to the PSP and have managed to get a few basic demos running. You can compile fairly non trivial C# code and run it with quite a lot of success on the PSP (mine is a 3000.) This is not yet packaged up nicely and I need to make the repo public still, but it will be up on GitHub shortly.

I'm not going to claim it was a lot of work - it wasn't really too hard. But it was the first decent bit of PSP programming I've done, so it has been pretty rewarding to see it function.

When it is up, I'd be happy to get contributions. It is what it is, and so it is not intended to be "release quality".

I've been using VS2019 Mac to develop, and VSCode to compile the C/C++. I have a template that sets up all the code completion for VSCode for both Windows and Mac, so that might help some of you guys. The code will compile under Windows too, but I use Windows all day at work and so wanted to do something a bit different at home.

The corelib is custom. There is a PSP root namespace for PSP specific stuff. You can shell out to other assemblies, but as per PSP rules, you'd need to build all native code in to the runtime. I currently include SDL2 (NB. it is wrapped by the API, SDL2 is not available directly) as it was easier to get the graphics working on. I have a standard "square moving around on a background" demo. I also ported "tet" from the TinyC games repo as it was pretty simple and quite easy to port.

The graphics primitives are under PSP namespace and are all pretty simple at the moment. I had a go at making them use pure PSP SDK api calls, but ended up using SDL2 as the performance was pretty bad. I'll revisit that at some point.
Advertising
mattanna

Re: Dot Net Anywhere ported to PSP

Post by mattanna »

Okay - source is now available here:

https://github.com/memsom/PSPDNA
Advertising
mattanna

Post by mattanna »

Okay - there is now a build on the release tag. This will allow you to run the tet demo on a real device, and you will be also able to use the compiled libs and runtime to build your own content if you so wish. BEWARE - it's not all that easy, super early and it's really really basic, so your mileage will vary.

https://github.com/memsom/PSPDNA/releas ... -1.0.0.zip
mattanna

Post by mattanna »

PSPDNA V1.1.0 has been released. This brings a few new features:

1) Basic font support has been added.
2) A new app menu has been created that will list the available apps and allow the user to launch one from the menu. If you remove the Dna.Appmenu.exe, it is still possible to launch a single app called "app.exe" (and therefore possible to use the engine for stand alone programs.)

This is all still pretty basic. I'm going to improve the really basic TTF support and add bitmap image rendering in the next release.

Prebuilt installable app can be grabbed from here:

https://github.com/memsom/PSPDNA/releas ... -1.1.0.zip

The "tet" game is quite a playable version of Tetris.
mattanna

Post by mattanna »

I'm working on image loading and will have another release fairly soon. I'm porting the "flappy" game from the TinyC.Games repo as a proof of concept (as it is super, super simple.)
hollandjose3

Post by hollandjose3 »

mattanna wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:29 pm Okay - source is now available here:

https://github.com/memsom/PSPDNA
Thanks, I am looking for this one so long.

Return to “Programming and Security”