Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Sound issues in gpSP

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
joegt123

Sound issues in gpSP

Post by joegt123 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:11 am

Admittedly, I'm a gratuitous noob to this whole thing, but I just downloaded gpSP Kai and put it on my psp3000 which has CFW 6.60 PRO-C.

I start up my games (DBZ Legacy of Goku 2 and Metroid Zero Mission) and I notice some sound issues. A weird warping of the music that causes the audio to bob and weave, as well as a periodic, persistent ticking sound. I tried messing around with the audio buffer and the framerate settings. Low/low buffer size, auto/off framerate, etc. Nothing seems to fix it or even make it slightly better.

I did notice that the warbling was less present in metroid than legacy of goku, but the ticking was actually more frequent by a small degree.

Any help here would be appreciated. If you need specific stats on what I'm running, please walk me through what you're asking for as I've just been messing around with things so far and have even been out of the psp CFW scene for a while.
Advertising

TecXero

Re: Sound issues in gpSP

Post by TecXero » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:15 am

You can play with the sound buffer, but Kai has always had sound issues. Kai hasn't the greatest compatibility and hasn't been updated in a while. If you can't stand the sound, check out TempGBA4PSP and gpSP-J. They're not the fastest but they do have better compatibility and sound. I generally have a few different forks on my PSP, using different forks for different games.
Advertising
PSP Slim CFW 6.60 ME-2.2
Wii 4.3 d2x cIOS v10-alt Beta53 Base 56 & 57

joegt123

Post by joegt123 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:04 am

Hmm. This is probably a stupid question, but would the save data be compatible from one to the next? If I were to copy my save files from Kai to Temp, for example.

Edit: So, I downloaded tempgba4psp. Stumbled my way through the japanese by just copying the bios over from Kai. The games in question now run great. I haven't experienced any slowdown or anything and ZERO audio issues like I was having with gpsp. However, I also haven't pushed the envelope by going into action heavy areas.

The saves DO transfer cleanly, which is awesome. My only issue with tempgba is that there seems to be no option to resize the screen like there was in Kai. Obviously having the correct aspect ratio is important, but it doesn't use the full screen. It's somewhat shrunk. Is there a way to fix that?

MadZiontist

Post by MadZiontist » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:59 am

I was skeptical about TempGBA4PSP, as I had gotten pretty darn good results from (especially) gpSP [v0.9] and KAI, and doubted that this one would/could be better. But this TempGBA4PSP is frickin' BOSS so far. I decided to test it against the "mother of all difficult to run GBA games on PSP", which for me has been Kingdom Hearts: Chain Of Memories. It was pixelated at the beginning - fair enough. BUT, it didn't crash after that (which it has in all other PSP GBA Emus). And it looks and plays just fine after the intro. So far I'm still playing it, and it's been about 15 mins, which is practically a miracle for this game on the PSP! Thanks for recommending this GBA Emu. :)
PSP Star Wars 2001 TA-085v1 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3
PSV 1001 3G 64GB 3.60 HENkaku Enso
PSTV 64GB

TecXero

Post by TecXero » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:51 am

The screen size scaling is under the Emulator Options. Just set the Display mode to USER GU and Magnification to whatever you want. There's no option to alter the Aspect Ratio, but that's never bother me. I generally don't like things stretched out of proportions, anyway. GpSP (and all of its forks, which TempGBA is one as well) uses the standard save format that I believe was popularized by VBA, so you shouldn't have any problem using those save files under any other GBA emulator for any platform. TempGBA and gpSP-J were specifically made for better compatibility with games like KHCOM, so that doesn't surprise me. I tend to run everything under gpSP Kai mod (mod version cause irony), and what doesn't work under that fork, I run under TempGBA.

GpSP is a great emulator created by Exophase. The forks may have been greatly improved, but the base of the work is still his. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of RetroArch. I'd love it to get to a point where I could drop running multiple forks of gpSP and maybe even get a slightly better framerate in some games.
PSP Slim CFW 6.60 ME-2.2

joegt123

Post by joegt123 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:02 am

User GU was the setting I was overlooking. Thanks. I couldn't understand why magnification wasn't doing anything. Yeah, aspect ratio isn't a big deal.

Call me dumb, but what is a fork?

marcopolo4

Post by marcopolo4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:38 pm

I second "what is a fork?"

I've used nothing but Kai gpsp emulator. Had good comparability with sound and graphics, however there are some serious slowdown issues with some games. Most notably and of the Tony Hawks series, and most FPS games eg doom, duke nukem, eks vs sever. Does anyone know if Tempgba4psp is able to play these games?

joegt123

Post by joegt123 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:44 pm

That's funny, I actually had slowdown in tempgba in Metroid Zero mission during an action heavy sequence and didn't have it in Kai.

TecXero

Post by TecXero » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:22 am

A "fork" is when someone takes someone else's source code and uses it to start their own variation of the program, usually trying to improve it in ways they see fit. For example: gpSP kai is a fork of gpSP, cause Takka took the code from Exophase to create gpSP Kai (and much internet drama ensued). I'll give you a list of forks.

gpSP. It was originally created from the ground up by Exophase. Due to drama with Takka, he abandoned the project on PSP and was never completed. All the forks are built upon his incomplete work and will probably never reach their full potential since most coders don't fully understand or don't want to take the time to fully understand his work to where they could have completed it as well as him. It might have been built off of PSPGBA or PSPVBA, but those were more of proof of concept emulators.

TempGBA. A fork of gpSP taken on by Nebuleon. It focused on getting games like Golden Sun and KHCoM working.

TempGBA4PSP. A fork of TempGBA. A Japanese coder focused on trying to improve Nebuleon and Exophase's work.

gpSP kai. A coder that went by Takka. He tried to improve Exophase's work. He refused to coordinate with Exophase and started causing a lot of drama in the homebrew scene at the time. He focused on speed and it's still the fastest for many games, though has poor compatibility.

uo gpSP kai mod. The most current kai. If memory serves, it was taken over by another Japanese coder after Takka stopped working on it.

gpSP mod. I really don't remember much about this one, just that it was noted for its options. I used it for a short time years ago, but there are better forks now.

Exophase and Nebuleon are still around and still great coders, they're just working on different platforms now.
PSP Slim CFW 6.60 ME-2.2

Post by 007 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Where can I find
TempGBA4PSP and
TempGBA

Didnt know they exist and cant find it.
3 x PSP GO Pearl White 6.20 PRO-B10.fix1 PERMA + Langswapper 1.6 Plugin
1 x PSP GO Piano Black 6.20 PRO-C2-14-02-2015 qwikrazor87 Release PERMA + Langswapper 1.6 Plugin
1 x PSP 3000 Lilac 6.20 PRO-B10.fix1 PERMA + Langswapper 1.6 Plugin

Return to “Emulators”