Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

NesterJ AoEX R3

Running old school games on your PSP? It's definitely possible
ShimaFlareX

Re: NesterJ AoEX R3

Post by ShimaFlareX »

Hm...I'll check the save part of the code later, it shouldn't be too hard to disable the compression.
Advertising
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Great! I really appreciate that. I know it wouldn't be terribly popular except with people who want to share saves across PC/etc and the PSP, which is why I suggested a toggle for it.
Advertising
Chris_Highwind

Post by Chris_Highwind »

For some reason, I can't run NesterJ AoEX R3 on 6.60 PRO-C on my new PSP-3001. When I try, I get an error (800200D9), and I don't know what the cause of it is. It sucks since I pretty much got a PSP to run the homebrew that VHBL couldn't, and VHBL could run the emulator fine.
PS3 Super-Slim 500 GB
PS Vita (32 GB Memory Stick): Henkaku Enso 3.60
PS4
fate6
Big Beholder

Post by fate6 »

hmm thats odd since I use it on my 1k and 2k(both on 6.60 ME)
try downloading it again ?
anon wrote:If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
hacker alias

Post by hacker alias »

Does War in the Gulf work on it? I hope so.

Unsupported board.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to pull a screenshot, with ANY method, of an NES emulator on my PSP.
Maxima

Post by Maxima »

Nice dude, but may I ask what is the Fat Read Mode option for?
JamppCobal

Post by JamppCobal »

Maxima wrote:Nice dude, but may I ask what is the Fat Read Mode option for?

From the README "nesterj_plus_061rm_readme_eng.txt" in old_readme folder

- Added FAT ROM read mode, which enables Chinese filenames while browsing
PS VITA 1.80 Urbanix TN-B something awesomer
I absolutely LOVE IT when pirates are too stupid to get their stolen games to work!
Makes me laugh, every time :lol: :lol:
Casavult

Post by Casavult »

I've NEVER figured how to use cheats in NesterJ sooooooooo... Does anybody know how to use cheats in NesterJ? I've Googled about it but there's no guide or such on it.

EDIT: Hmmm cheat files show up on 3 old versions of Nester J I've tried but they don't show up in this version...

EDIT 2: For the love of me I cannot get cheats to work at all on this version but they work fine on 0.61 RM fine. Bug maybe?

EDIT 3: I got it to work. I re-downloaded AoEX R3 and put my cheats from my old cheats folder on my other version of AoEX R3 and it worked on the redownloaded version... Weird...
• PS4Pro 2TB OFW • PS3 3k 1TB OFW • PS3 Slim 2k 500GB 4.84.2 DEX Rebug • PS3 Slim 2k 250GB 4.84.2 CEX Rebug •
• PSV 1k 32GB 3.60 HENkaku • 3x PSP 2k (TA-085v1) 128GB 6.60 ME-2.3 • PSP 2k (TA-085v2) 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3 •
ShimaFlareX

Post by ShimaFlareX »

Hm...weird, I didn't change anything related to the cheat code system.
I'm glad you managed to get it to work, though. (I've never used cheats on NesterJ tbh :D)

On other news, I probably won't work on this anymore, I don't really have time or motivation (and also, the current version works fine).

The rest of this post is a major rant, you may want to skip it.

First, I guess I own Firehawke an apology, as I have never released a version without battery save compression.
I'm pretty sure I just need to comment a code block to just disable the compression support, but that would cause people complain that they can't load their saves.
Adding a toggle to enable or disable the save compression would also cause some trouble, as if there is a compressed save file and an uncompressed one, which one should NesterJ load? There could be trouble if the user turns off the compression after saving once: merely overwriting the previous save file wouldn't be enough, I would need to add a check to see if a compressed save exists, and delete it before saving...
It's too much trouble, and I don't want to release a "R4" just for that, sorry :|

I had also started working on Ad-hoc support, but I realized that there's no NES game I really want to play, so I gave up quickly...
It just makes me kind of sad that the only version with Ad-hoc support lacks support for many games and it is...well...illegal (ruka didn't distribute the source code).

People don't seem to care though.

Recent versions of Gpsp-J, snes9xTYL MECM, are also violating their respective licenses, but no one seems to care.
The authors don't even bother to post a changelog. And unfortunately, the latest snes9xTYL MECM is faster than Snes9x Euphoria...
If the author of the snes9xTYL MECM fork released the source, Zack (or someone else) could have merges his changes and we would have a better emulator, but that won't ever happen.

The last real version of MasterBoy is 2.02, but most people use 2.10 or "EmuMaster". Those are exactly the same as MasterBoy 2.02, just the version number is changed.
But again, no one cares. In fact, the version on wololo's download section is the fake 2.10.

In the end, I'm sure I could have released a NesterJ version without any changes at all, without releasing the source, and I would still get the same number of downloads. In fact, no one has ever commented on the Vsync major speed up, which was the reason I ended up releasing AoEx in the first place. I guess most people don't mind the tearing, or don't even know what that is. Ignorance is a bliss.
I've even seem someone saying that AoEX is slower than the previous versions. I guess he is comparing AoEX on 200Mhz against whatever was the default, or ignoring the fact that this has the rewind mode, which increases the CPU usage a little bit. You can, of course, reduce the rewind state saving frequency to decrease the CPU usage caused by it...

So, yeah, what I wrote above, along with other scene drama (for instance, Vita CFW leak) is probably driving away developers who could really contribute to the scene. Just think about it: Is there a reason to release a PSP homebrew? You may have your stuff leaked, or having someone steal your credits. That's not fun at all, but it keeps happening. Most talented devs realize that they are better off using their time to something more productive.

I'm not really sure why I wrote all this, but I just kept writing. I guess I'm still not over the Exophase X Takka thing, and the recent Coldbird departure made me rage a little bit inside.
/rant
Casavult

Post by Casavult »

I still don't have a clue why the cheats didn't show in the first place. I would enter the cheat folder and there wouldn't be any cheats listed. I would then go back out of the cheat folder and everything would be listed (EBOOT.PBP, Roms, etc...) but the cheat folder would not be there... It was really weird but I've sorted it now. ;)

Shame, so much more could've been done with this emulator but you have done wonderful thus far.

As for Vsync, it does indeed work MUCH better than any previous version of NesterJ I've used. The tear is so minimal for me it's not even noticeable anymore and running at 200mhz it's still good. Running at 333mhz is even better! I'm not just commenting on this because you said "In fact, no one has ever commented on the Vsync major speed up", I'm commenting because you made me remind about the Vsync improvement and what a huge improvement it was.

As for Ad-Hoc, it would have been nice but then again I never really use the Ad-Hoc feature so I don't care for it.

AoEX is not slower. It's far from slower! In my honest opinion, AoEX R3 running at 200mhz feels like running 0.61 RM at 222/233mhz. I use 300-ish mhz though just because in some of my games I get frame drops (I hate it when my games go below 60fps lol). These frame drops were also occurring in previous versions of NesterJ by other developers but seemed... Worse. So if anything, you have made a substantial improvement to the FPS in my opinion.

I agree, disabling compression would make a lot of people unhappy with this change. Me? Meh, I don't care for compression. I have a big enough memory stick so it wouldn't bother me at all.

I don't see the point in R4 either unless some features and improvements were made. If not, then there's no point in issuing R4.

Sorry for the great wall of text (although it doesn't beat yours lol) but I just wanted to share my results and opinion on AoEX. It is by far the best NesterJ emulator I've ever used on the PSP and I just wanted to say thank you for all the improvements you have made so I, as well as others, can enjoy the NES games to an even fuller extent. :)
• PS4Pro 2TB OFW • PS3 3k 1TB OFW • PS3 Slim 2k 500GB 4.84.2 DEX Rebug • PS3 Slim 2k 250GB 4.84.2 CEX Rebug •
• PSV 1k 32GB 3.60 HENkaku • 3x PSP 2k (TA-085v1) 128GB 6.60 ME-2.3 • PSP 2k (TA-085v2) 32GB 6.60 ME-2.3 •

Return to “Emulators”