Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Bios Password Reset

Everything related to computers that doesn't go in other categories
TOcean
HBL Tester

Bios Password Reset

Post by TOcean »

Hello everyone,

I have buyed a HP EliteBook 8440p but it have a bios password, is there a tool for windows to reset it?
Advertising
Salahkun

Re: Bios Password Reset

Post by Salahkun »

Try opening the laptop, once you are with the motherboard, remove the small primary cell(like the one that watches use), leave it for an hour and then put it again and turn it on.
Advertising
ImageImage
The Mana World Player Since 2005
Theredbaron

Post by Theredbaron »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY0wZMqNzmw

If you can boot it, this will do. :)
Vita 3G - 4GB/8GB - 3.00 TN-V
ZgamerR

Post by ZgamerR »

TOcean wrote:Hello everyone,

I have buyed a HP EliteBook 8440p but it have a bios password, is there a tool for windows to reset it?

There is no tools, and there never will be any tools to reset BIOS passwords on windows or any other platform.

The method also depends on if you've got warranty on the laptop still or not, If you do, do not open it up as it automatically voids the warranty.
If you don't then follow what Salahkun has said
Salahkun wrote:Try opening the laptop, once you are with the motherboard, remove the small primary cell(like the one that watches use), leave it for an hour and then put it again and turn it on.
You also only need to wait about 5-10 mins after taking the small circular battery out, not 1 hour.
hgoel0974
Retired Mod

Post by hgoel0974 »

there definitely won't be any Windows software like that because windows can't access the BIOS (if it could, a virus could be written that damages the BIOS, thus destroying the computer)
"If the truth is a cruel mistress, then a lie must be a nice girl"
mysoulishome

Post by mysoulishome »

SOLUTION: This is what I did and worked like a dream. Contacted HP, told them the problem. They "escalated the case," took my info. The next day I was emailed a file called SMC.bin. It is formatted specifically for my machine, has to match the UUID. Copied file to FAT 32 formatted jump drive, booted it as per the email instructions, reset bios password.

I did this via chat on HP's website.

scr..ing with the bios battery will not work on Elitebook...
Obito

Post by Obito »

hgoel0974 wrote:there definitely won't be any Windows software like that because windows can't access the BIOS (if it could, a virus could be written that damages the BIOS, thus destroying the computer)
Sorry to burst the bubble but there has actually been methods to reset BIOS password from windows, running the Debug command and typing some hexadecimal numbers. Tested on AWARD bios.

Another method to reset the BIOS is to remove the circular battery for 10 minutes or so, and clean the PC from any remanent of energy by pressing the ON/OFF button. Though, as it's been said, not always works.

Return to “General”