Advertising (This ad goes away for registered users. You can Login or Register)

Java Class Problem

Programming on your favorite platform, for your favorite platform? Post here
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Re: Java Class Problem

Post by Xian Nox »

No, it was just a speculation as to why you had m_ at the start of your variables. And don't swap to VC++, I've been there and it's not fun.
Also, take my advice on this: put your classes in different files. It makes it a lot easier to manage. Java doesn't require this (unlike ActionScript for example), but it helps.
Advertising
KaptainBio

Post by KaptainBio »

they wrote it like that in the bok which i have, in other forums they have said, that the author has just "heard" of Java or something like that....
Advertising
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Hmm, which book is that? Feel free to give me the german name if you want to.
Well then, if you're using Windows, you might want to set the default Java encoding to UTF8. This is done by creating a new user environmental variable called JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS and setting its value as -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 (screenshot if you need to see how to). The encoding difference probably won't bother you with the basics, but created errors for me when using some libraries (most notably ini4j).
If you have other questions, feel free to ask.
KaptainBio

Post by KaptainBio »

bought this for 20€
in some other forums they could recomend it, it should be beginner friendly
Xian Nox
Retired Mod

Post by Xian Nox »

Took a look at it on Amazon, it's not bad, but you should take it critically. For example, they explain that Java was created because of the Internet's need for portable applications, and that is not actually correct. Regardless, there should be plenty to get you started. Use eclipse, read what the error messages and autofix options are, read the documentation when in doubt, and feel free to ask anything.
KaptainBio

Post by KaptainBio »

Xian Nox wrote:Use eclipse(...)
doing it.
Xian Nox wrote:read what the error messages and autofix options are, read the documentation when in doubt, and feel free to ask anything.
dito ;)

THY for help again ;)

Return to “Programming”